How is UK.....Really?

Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:12 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is UK.....Really?

I haven't managed to read all the answers, but 17 years away from the U.K and you will see a lot of difference.
Yes, there are many more nationalities living in the U.K than 17 years ago, but I think how you perceive the U.K is by what you are wanting or expecting to return to.
If you are returning expecting to see what you left 17 years ago, you will be shocked.
IMHO if you return without any expectations and be prepared for change, you will be fine.
Best of luck,
J x
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Although I dont live in Portsmouth, my 'foreign' husband has had quite a few comments about 'taking our jobs'.

I had to laugh at someone telling me that they were moving to Oz because of the foreign workers 'nicking jobs' and when this person got to Oz, he was clearly disgusted because he was told by one Aussie to 'go home and stop taking our jobs'.

So I am afraid I just dont get it with the not liking of foreign workers taking jobs because fair enough, perhaps some may work for less and undercut other skilled people but the fault really lies with the employer who is prepared to pay peanuts in the first place.

I do get a touch fed up when people say this about foreigners in the UK. Because English people think absolutely nothing of doing the same when they are abroad.

My foreign husband has worked his nuts off to get where he is and to be honest, if anyone threw that comment at him - he would laugh at them.

Leaving the country because of migrants to become one yourself does not make sense.

Oh yes, I am not a UK basher before anyone jumps on me. I like the UK and just want to try something else.
I think OP meant illegal immigrants.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:14 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisylilymum
I think OP meant illegal immigrants.
Sorry I didnt mean to sound defensive its just its been mentioned in the Oz forum about foreigners taking jobs.

I suppose we have had it quite alot and it grates after a while.

Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Sorry I didnt mean to sound defensive its just its been mentioned in the Oz forum about foreigners taking jobs.

I suppose we have had it quite alot and it grates after a while.

I've read stuff like that - very hypocritical
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Although I dont live in Portsmouth, my 'foreign' husband has had quite a few comments about 'taking our jobs'.

I had to laugh at someone telling me that they were moving to Oz because of the foreign workers 'nicking jobs' and when this person got to Oz, he was clearly disgusted because he was told by one Aussie to 'go home and stop taking our jobs'.

So I am afraid I just dont get it with the not liking of foreign workers taking jobs because fair enough, perhaps some may work for less and undercut other skilled people but the fault really lies with the employer who is prepared to pay peanuts in the first place.

I do get a touch fed up when people say this about foreigners in the UK. Because English people think absolutely nothing of doing the same when they are abroad.

My foreign husband has worked his nuts off to get where he is and to be honest, if anyone threw that comment at him - he would laugh at them.

Leaving the country because of migrants to become one yourself does not make sense.

Oh yes, I am not a UK basher before anyone jumps on me. I like the UK and just want to try something else.
Thanks for a great post! Karma sent.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:26 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisylilymum
I've read stuff like that - very hypocritical
Definitely and I do believe that sometimes some people can be incredibly arrogant when it comes to that subject.

Leave the UK because of immigrants but its different for them.

It isnt different, it is exactly the same.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

Definitely and I do believe that sometimes some people can be incredibly arrogant when it comes to that subject.

Leave the UK because of immigrants but its different for them.

It isnt different, it is exactly the same.
Absolutely
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Thanks for a great post! Karma sent.
Ill send you some back

We are still waiting for our visa to Oz but I am not a UK hater.

I was looking out of the office window today, I could see the London Eye and the surrounding area.

I must say that London looked absolutely amazing.

The papers don't help when reporting crime stats though, in fact what they report is quite damaging.

Im not saying there isn't crime. Where I live, you don't go out at night on your own over the railway bridge - you just don't.

But we adapt to the surroundings and security level of where we are living at the time.

We don't take risks, we know what 'works' and what doesn't and that is applicable to wherever you live.

Anyone who thinks that people dont get mugged, murdered, raped or whatever in another country needs to rethink.

In order to leave your home country, you need to make peace with it, see its good points, dont generalise the whole place because of a bad experience.

People never know if they will come back to the UK or not, you just cant tell so it helps to leave it on good terms.

To anyone nervous of coming home, find the right place and you will be fine - like anywhere for every crap place, there are several good ones.

Oh, just checked the weather, it is going to be 23 degrees on Saturday and 24 on Sunday in London.

Picnic in Hyde Park methinks.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hong Konger
I have been in HK for the last 17 years. All my family are in Portsmouth UK. At some stage I am going to have to think about our whereabouts for our future HK OR UK when my son starts secondary school. Uk is foreign to me now as i have been gone for so long, is uk really bad now with all the immigrants etc.? We really miss our family in uk, me and my son that is, my hubby is from Hong Kong.

Not sure what to do i am homesick very much.

Thanks guys. :O)
I recently came back after a long haul (left UK in 1983) and can say the following:

Weather - right now it is gorgeous, but as you know it can get pretty rainy and cold. People here just adjust though - put on waterproofs for example (duh!) Must admit that as a cyclist I do really miss the permanent blue sky of the US.

People - absolutely great. UK people are just so much more homely and laid back (I'm comparing to the US).

Work - much more laid back attitude (again, comparing to the US).

About the only major downside for me has been the ludicrous house prices. After a life of playing the game (work hard, save hard, don't be wasteful on luxuries), I find myself 15 years from retirement taking on a mortgage that make me wonder if I'll ever pay it off. For some expats it's not a problem (some overseas housing markets have gone up equally as madly as the UK) but for those moving from the US the lack of house price increases, coupled with the stinking dollar exchange rate has been a real bummer.

Overall, Britain still has many of the things that make it "Great".
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:27 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I recently came back after a long haul (left UK in 1983) and can say the following:

Weather - right now it is gorgeous, but as you know it can get pretty rainy and cold. People here just adjust though - put on waterproofs for example (duh!) Must admit that as a cyclist I do really miss the permanent blue sky of the US.

People - absolutely great. UK people are just so much more homely and laid back (I'm comparing to the US).

Work - much more laid back attitude (again, comparing to the US).

About the only major downside for me has been the ludicrous house prices. After a life of playing the game (work hard, save hard, don't be wasteful on luxuries), I find myself 15 years from retirement taking on a mortgage that make me wonder if I'll ever pay it off. For some expats it's not a problem (some overseas housing markets have gone up equally as madly as the UK) but for those moving from the US the lack of house price increases, coupled with the stinking dollar exchange rate has been a real bummer.

Overall, Britain still has many of the things that make it "Great".
Hmmmmmm wonder what he has in mind to qualify as "Great"
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:36 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Hmmmmmm wonder what he has in mind to qualify as "Great"
Democracy, freedom of speech, human rights - that kinda stuff - stuff that really matters, not stuff that doesn't - like how hot it is or whether you can afford three bedrooms or four.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:54 pm
Still Learning

KarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant futureKarmaLiber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hong Konger
oh one more thing how is portsmouth area these days ?
Just read this thread and I it must be very confusing with many differnt stories about UK and little answered about Portsmouth. If it helps my experience of Portsmouth is that my best friend lived and taught in the schools and she was very happy there for many recent years. Its not the most picturesque place in the UK but it has a lot to offer, there is a new development of 'trendy shops/cafes' near the marinas, there is the old part with adequate shopping, a good night life, beautiful walks and greens. If you like sailing the 'solent' is amazing - in fact you can find whatever you want and be happy, especially if you are close to your family. It is perhaps very different from HK, however London is a short train ride away.
without doubt there are more immigrants in UK appearing over the passed few years in every location in the UK. Good luck to them I say. Its the illegal ones that have caused many problems and there has been a sharp increase in serious crimes/identity fraud/money laundering etc. I'm sure a lot of that happens in HK.
Portsmouth is safe 'ish at night, perhaps not in the dark of the night, alone, but then you just have to be sensible. Drugs are an issue in the UK, and crime arises as a result but problems are usually located to specific districts and even families.
Morals have fallen compared to 17 years ago, but its not too bad(yuk!) I'd say that the over 50's are usually chanting'discipline' is needed and they are right to a degree, generally some teenagers and adults think its okay to swear and be roudy and get drunk, and that can be a problem when they insult innocent passers - I pity them with all the media,celebrity status, flash cars and bling - it is a very material world in UK and without doubt the rich are getting richer i.e many homes, fantastic bonuses, they spend on clothes what could save a thousand lives and unfortunately many of our children believe that is the way to live and get themselves into debt without a care. Another proportion of them don't expect to work and will just live off the state thereby enfuriating the older element who have worked hard and are sick of it all. I don't know percentages but UK is not like it was.
To live happy for the next twenty years you need be self sufficient, taxes will increase, our current government has 'stolen' the taxes, the state pensions, in twenty years they predict that the youth now will have to pay enormous tax to look after the ageing population, so they don't stand much chance of ever saving to buy a property.
I really wanted to give you a good view of Portsmouth, and i find that I want to rave on about the decline of Britain. I will stop.
If you are skint and can claim social security and are happy with that, Britain is your country, if you want to protect what you have worked for there are many other places that give you more security. Many Brits are leaving the country, the working population are carrying too much on their backs with a lack of support when needed, e.g Police help, NHS, council whatever ! Its a case of how much money can they get out of you. I'm mid-life and very dissappointed with my country.

to bring things back to you. I'd be anywhere if I could be with my family, I'd suffer Britain to be with my family, as they are what makes me happy. Whatever problems we have here, if you keep away from solicitors, police, and anything government you can enjoy the beauty of Britain, it is warming up and winters will get warmer.
Every country has its problems, Britain has seen too much change in a relative short period and a change that was not voted for by the population, although in saying that 'Jo Public' i.e the workers, are on the whole respectful of all communities apart from drugs/crime and antisocial behaviour.

I hope my word help and don't confuse more. Just simply remember your family and how much they mean to you.

Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Hong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really nice

Originally Posted by Danny B
I can't understand why after 17yrs you have suddenly decided to move back to the UK. Surely it cannot be because you miss your family? why didn't you move back after a year or two if this was the case?

You are in for a real shock, a lot has changed since 1990..I would recommend you spending at least 4 weeks over here having a good look around as it may not be what you are looking for.
Believe me if i didnt marry a local hong kong man i would have been home much much sooner. He is NOT willing to move at this stage to UK, he doesnt like it. Family means everything to me and i gave them up to experience the HK life at the young age of 17!!!! so i was young and could only at that stage think about the love of my life etc. and HK at that stage was the bees knees. I need peace aswell, HK is sooooooo crowded all the time. im back in july for 3 weeks so will have a good look around.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Hong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really nice

just wanted to say a BIG Thanks to you all for your postings, see you in July
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:56 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KarmaLiber
J.........To live happy for the next twenty years you need be self sufficient, taxes will increase, our current government has 'stolen' the taxes, the state pensions, in twenty years they predict that the youth now will have to pay enormous tax to look after the ageing population, so they don't stand much chance of ever saving to buy a property.
I am not sure what you mean by the current government having stolen the taxes. Large sums have been invested in education and the NHS - both of which had nearly been round to ground by the tories.

As for the problems associated with an ageing population - that is the same everywhere.

I live in the US, where we are paying MORE taxes than we ever paid in the UK - and we get F-All for it. The cost of healthcare can be crippling - and 16% of the population have no health insurance. What is more, for many people with insurance, healthcare is no better than the NHS. Hundreds of thousands of people go bankrupt every year because they cannot pay their medical bills - and most of them did have insurance when serious illness struck.

Most people in the US get 2 weeks vacation a year if they are lucky. There is no state-mandated maternity leave - let along maternity pay. Sick days typically are taken out of vacation allowances. In most states you can be fired without any notice whatsoever.

If only people in the UK appreciated how lucky they are!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.