How is UK.....Really?

Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Hong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really nice
Default How is UK.....Really?

I have been in HK for the last 17 years. All my family are in Portsmouth UK. At some stage I am going to have to think about our whereabouts for our future HK OR UK when my son starts secondary school. Uk is foreign to me now as i have been gone for so long, is uk really bad now with all the immigrants etc.? We really miss our family in uk, me and my son that is, my hubby is from Hong Kong.

Not sure what to do i am homesick very much.

Thanks guys. :O)
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:40 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is UK.....Really?

Originally Posted by Hong Konger
I have been in HK for the last 17 years. All my family are in Portsmouth UK. At some stage I am going to have to think about our whereabouts for our future HK OR UK when my son starts secondary school. Uk is foreign to me now as i have been gone for so long, is uk really bad now with all the immigrants etc.? We really miss our family in uk, me and my son that is, my hubby is from Hong Kong.

Hi there Hong Konger. Well I suppose you will get the usual moaners who lurk around here sprouting their general UK gone to the dogs crap but most of the stuff that they whinge about is happening the world over or is totally exaggerated. They tend to read the Daily Mail or similar - Grimms Fairy Tales are more believable than these "newspapers".

It will however be different to what you remember - 17 years is a very long time to be away. The UK is still a great place to live but I suppose there are lots of factors which will influence whether or not it's for you again. Things like what you expect from life and what is important to you. Some people place huge emphasis on things like having a big house, living in a nice neighbourhood etc., low crime rates, surroundings, personal interests etc.

The UK has its share of problems, I do feel that our youngsters need more far discipline, immigration needs addressing as does crime and our benefits system. Too many people here just don't want to work now and rely on benefits to support themselves and their offspring - it's a major problem here. Many people are frustrated that criminals don't get punished enough. People moan about the government but I think that has always been and always will be the case. I've never heard a good word about any government in my entire life.

We find though it is great living here, the majority of people are friendly, polite and chatty. Iv'e been the victim of a crime just once in my life. I don't know anyone who has ever been attacked, mugged, murdered etc. etc. (but quite obviously these things happen). There is plenty to see and do and there is certainly loads of opportunities here. I just love the place.

I suppose it all depends on your own personal preferences and needs - same as everything in life, some like me love it, others hate it. Good luck with everything
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:47 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

17 years wow ..

I could post on this in depth but its not worth the hassle , so will just say as long as your wealthy you will be fine ..
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Hong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really nice

ahhh thanks guys, yup it will be a very tough decision, and my hubby isnt keen to budge so early, he was thinking more of retirement age we head back to UK LOL We are not wealthy really, we both work to make ends meet, however we own our flat here so i suppose thats a good thing if we want to buy in UK, i know rental prices have gopne through the roof!
HK is well HK really, been here so long, the crowds still get to me as does the poor manners of the locals but all in all its very safe here, like i go jogging after dark stuff like that. the weather is generally alwayss warm with the exception of our humid and hot summers yuk. however i have no family here and that is so difficult, i am a very family kindda gal. i just dunno, cause of my hubby wont budge then what?????? oh well im coming over in the summer for 3 weeks so can talk it out with my family and see uk again and get a feel for it once again, and see what the future brings :O) take care .
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

oh one more thing how is portsmouth area these days ?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:37 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

oh one more thing how is portsmouth area these days ?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4719364.stm

Read down about a page or so.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

errrrr, ok thanks not quite what i had in mind, but thanks.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bazzz
That article says it's from 2006
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

ahhh thanks guys, yup it will be a very tough decision, and my hubby isnt keen to budge so early, he was thinking more of retirement age we head back to UK LOL We are not wealthy really, we both work to make ends meet, however we own our flat here so i suppose thats a good thing if we want to buy in UK, i know rental prices have gopne through the roof!
HK is well HK really, been here so long, the crowds still get to me as does the poor manners of the locals but all in all its very safe here, like i go jogging after dark stuff like that. the weather is generally alwayss warm with the exception of our humid and hot summers yuk. however i have no family here and that is so difficult, i am a very family kindda gal. i just dunno, cause of my hubby wont budge then what?????? oh well im coming over in the summer for 3 weeks so can talk it out with my family and see uk again and get a feel for it once again, and see what the future brings :O) take care .
I wouldn't read too many Brit papers they just love to run the country down which is a shame.

I'm sure you will find it has changed in 17 years but after spending 3 years in Canada I appreciate the UK for what it offers and I've chosen to go back.

I think you are right to spend some time there before you return but if you didn't like it I'm sure you could always go back to Hong Kong!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I wouldn't read too many Brit papers they just love to run the country down which is a shame.

I'm sure you will find it has changed in 17 years but after spending 3 years in Canada I appreciate the UK for what it offers and I've chosen to go back.

I think you are right to spend some time there before you return but if you didn't like it I'm sure you could always go back to Hong Kong!
thanks, role on the future
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

Originally Posted by fishfinger
But you miss em out here! The british press is the best in the world! They may be full of crap and you do have to form your own opinion on the stories they print but you gotta love em. I used to love getting the sun everyday, just for a bit of fun, the sport section at the back and dear Deirdre, the goss, the character assassination of two bob bit celebrities. Out here the papers are pony and trap.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:12 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tony_russell
But you miss em out here! The british press is the best in the world! They may be full of crap and you do have to form your own opinion on the stories they print but you gotta love em. I used to love getting the sun everyday, just for a bit of fun, the sport section at the back and dear Deirdre, the goss, the character assassination of two bob bit celebrities. Out here the papers are pony and trap.
I also loved reading the papers, here i never read them. That bloody West Australian is so big and boring, ha abit like Perth lol...

I am out of date with all the activities and day to day life in the world. I should watch the news more often. But nothing beats the British press
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:34 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I can't understand why after 17yrs you have suddenly decided to move back to the UK. Surely it cannot be because you miss your family? why didn't you move back after a year or two if this was the case?

You are in for a real shock, a lot has changed since 1990..I would recommend you spending at least 4 weeks over here having a good look around as it may not be what you are looking for.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may be pleasantly surprised by how much the UK has improved while you have been away.

You left during the Tory years when the country was still at war with itself.

Things are much better now

G
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:49 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I think you may be pleasantly surprised by how much the UK has improved while you have been away.

You left during the Tory years when the country was still at war with itself.

Things are much better now

G

Hey G, I really can't agree with you on this, not slating uk at all, but, the Uk has got MAJOR problems now what with one thing and another.

It doesn't always impact on your day to day life but IMO it is worse now than it was then.

My situation hasn't changed, still your average person doing average person things and think that life was better in the 90's than it is today.

Oh well, that's the beauty of humans, each one's different.

Louise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.