How are recent returnees

Old Jul 21st 2007, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

sueduffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile How are recent returnees

Hi Guys,just wandered how the recent returnees are doing.Love to hear updates.

Anyone heard from Libby since she returned.

Sue
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:10 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are recent returnees

Originally Posted by sueduffy

Sue
Either they are all too busy enjoying life here to reply Sue or they have seen all the rain and done a runner back to where they came from

Or they could just be floating around somewhere - we are about three ft deep in water now you know
Old Jul 21st 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Louise D.......I saw you're from Kings Moss....not the one in Rainford Merseyside by any chance?

Have PM'd you, hope that's OK

(Sorry for change of subject....as you were)

Last edited by coopa_troopa; Jul 22nd 2007 at 12:40 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

as a recent returnee i thought it qualified me to reply, though i only spent a short time in aus.

As the majority of people who have made the big move i gave up my job, house etc only to return 4 months down the line.

Its only now that i sit back and think of what i have done. I spent four years planning the move, putting my career on hold and ending a long term relationship.

I have no long term work from Sept, as a primary school teacher I am too expensive for the vacancies that arise for 'classroom teacher'. I have only just secured a home for myself and my teenage son. Ive spent 4 months living in a cramped flat with my mum (bless her heart)

Have i any regrets, yes and no I find myself approaching 50 (a couple of years off though ) single and jobless, not a great position to be in.

However, as has been said many a time, you dont know what you have got till its not there. Uk has its problems but i lke it here, my famyily and friends are here.

Im happy, my son is happy and thats all that counts
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:51 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
Hi Louise D.......I saw you're from Kings Moss....not the one in Rainford Merseyside by any chance?

Have PM'd you, hope that's OK

(Sorry for change of subject....as you were)
Have PM'd you

Originally Posted by lollyno1
Hi

as a recent returnee i thought it qualified me to reply, though i only spent a short time in aus.

As the majority of people who have made the big move i gave up my job, house etc only to return 4 months down the line.

Its only now that i sit back and think of what i have done. I spent four years planning the move, putting my career on hold and ending a long term relationship.

I have no long term work from Sept, as a primary school teacher I am too expensive for the vacancies that arise for 'classroom teacher'. I have only just secured a home for myself and my teenage son. Ive spent 4 months living in a cramped flat with my mum (bless her heart)

Have i any regrets, yes and no I find myself approaching 50 (a couple of years off though ) single and jobless, not a great position to be in.

However, as has been said many a time, you dont know what you have got till its not there. Uk has its problems but i lke it here, my famyily and friends are here.

Im happy, my son is happy and thats all that counts
Great post lolly, I hope that things on the job front will get better soon - stay happy
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Doing very well and having no regrets.... see 6 months on thread!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:07 am
Just Joined

milligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the rough

Sue
We have been back for 7 months to the day. Unsure if I love being back or not. I certainly like being back but it is only now that I am realising that I won't be going back to NZ.

Miss my job, house and certain ways of life in NZ but love being near my family and friends again although don't see them as much you think you might on your return.

Bought our home at long last and move mid Sept so perhaps things will change once we have all our own things around us again and we can finally feel settled.

Our little boy has certainly taken to life here without any quibbles which is all that matters to me really.

One other thing we really miss from NZ is the coffee.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

atkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of lightatkinsfamily is a glorious beacon of light

Sue
Hi we have been back now for 5 months we now have our house our dog is out of quarentine work is fine, we have no regrets for what we did. Just wish it wasnt so expensive!
Helen
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

megansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond reputemegansmummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I did post on Rovers return so rather than write again i will copy & paste so see below!!

"Hope everyone is ok & happy!!!

Sorry ive not been around for ages but its hard to get online now without a computer! Its even worse as the one in the library dosnt allow me to go on forums

Anyway just to update you all on my life!....

Im ok. Still with mum but trying hard to get somewhere to live. Megy is doing great & hasnt really been too affected. She is even using the potty now which is great as thought id never have her doing that!!

Im still sad that is all over & i do actually miss him but its getting better all the time & the good days outweigh the bad! I actually miss Oz very very slightly but certainly not enough to come back!!!

One good bit of karma is the fact his young lady finished it. I was very happy at that. We are on ok terms though so i didnt gloat!!

Ive met someone. Its still very early days but i like him & he treats me well! Good karma!!

Its great being back here & in familiar surroundings again. Anyone who says Oz is better needs their head seeing too lol!!!

Anyway, not much else at the mo but will keep you posted!

Also to all those that came back just after me ie lynne, english rose & stu etc hope your all ok & settled well!!

Take care

Judexxx"
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Been back from the Us for 6 weeks now after a 8/9 month stay.

Kids finished school there then went straight back in here as if they had never left, (eldest had only stayed 3 months and was living with mum).

Eldest daughter has out grown her trappy stage and is a p[leasure to have around now! yipee

House front- better off than most as did not sell our home so straight back into it, dog is now free to travel back so hubby is returning to US today to pack furniture and get dog, hubby has been back and forth for last 6 weeks and thats the only bad part.

Car- well before I went I had a 7 seater, there I had a Audi Q7 and now I have a much smaller car (Clio) at a disgusting price but its mine, its girly and I love it, cant believe how wonderfull it is to be bombing around again.

Jobs-hubby has job offer back here starting Sept, he could work for company hes with in US as he did before moving but after their treatment we feel no obligation to so alls good there.

I still have a valid bank auxilary contract at my local NHS trust so I can call and work at any point but I applied to do a nursing degree and was shortlisted for selection today so fingers crossed.

All in all were back doing fine, life is good and summer is apparently here but Ill keep you posted on that!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if 12 months ago counts as recent, but 24 years after first leaving, and with a 12-month hiatus in the UK in 2000, I have certainly had my ups and downs since returning. I am now living in Scotland, with a pretty OK job (lots of major, major changes going on in my department and the university in general), access to hillwalking just out the fornt door, but one big, nagging problem that I have described in the "How important is money" thread. It has been extremely difficult to come to terms with the diea that I'll probably spend most of the 15 years to retirement spending most of my salary every month on the mortgage. It's difficult sometimes not to feel bitter at how house prices have been allowed to go ballistic over the past 5-7 years and that single fact (plus to a certain extent the plummeting dollar over the same period) has changed my financial situation from being extremely comfortable (i.e., almost mortgage-free) in the US to barely keeping my head above water in the UK. Time will tell whether I get over it, but the thought of trying to get back there enters my mind several times a day. Unlike many returnees I don't have strong family and friendship ties here and I'm not sure whether the British lifestyle is enough to sacrifice financial freedom.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:46 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybodt just read all your posts,and would like to wish you all the best in the future,you should all be proud of yourselfs,because you all have had a go.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not sure if 12 months ago counts as recent, but 24 years after first leaving, and with a 12-month hiatus in the UK in 2000, I have certainly had my ups and downs since returning. I am now living in Scotland, with a pretty OK job (lots of major, major changes going on in my department and the university in general), access to hillwalking just out the fornt door, but one big, nagging problem that I have described in the "How important is money" thread. It has been extremely difficult to come to terms with the diea that I'll probably spend most of the 15 years to retirement spending most of my salary every month on the mortgage. It's difficult sometimes not to feel bitter at how house prices have been allowed to go ballistic over the past 5-7 years and that single fact (plus to a certain extent the plummeting dollar over the same period) has changed my financial situation from being extremely comfortable (i.e., almost mortgage-free) in the US to barely keeping my head above water in the UK. Time will tell whether I get over it, but the thought of trying to get back there enters my mind several times a day. Unlike many returnees I don't have strong family and friendship ties here and I'm not sure whether the British lifestyle is enough to sacrifice financial freedom.
What would you do for healthcare when you retire in the US? That's a major problem living there into old age.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What would you do for healthcare when you retire in the US? That's a major problem living there into old age.
In many states, if you work for the state (which I would, working in the state university system), then when you retire you are eligible to continue with the state health insurance plan. That is something I will look into very carefully. Additionally, having extra cash left over every month to invest, plus being mortgage free in the near future gives far more options in terms of investing to cover future health care costs. But this is most certainly a major issue I need to get squared away before I ever think about returning. State employees also usually have access to critical illness, disability, etc., insurance at great rates. But again, being mortgage free makes the prospect of dealing with any crisis easier to consider. Here in the UK, a single major crisis would completely screw things up - I'm barely paying the bills as it is, despite being a healthy, hardworking professional.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
In many states, if you work for the state (which I would, working in the state university system), then when you retire you are eligible to continue with the state health insurance plan. That is something I will look into very carefully. Additionally, having extra cash left over every month to invest, plus being mortgage free in the near future gives far more options in terms of investing to cover future health care costs. But this is most certainly a major issue I need to get squared away before I ever think about returning. State employees also usually have access to critical illness, disability, etc., insurance at great rates. But again, being mortgage free makes the prospect of dealing with any crisis easier to consider. Here in the UK, a single major crisis would completely screw things up - I'm barely paying the bills as it is, despite being a healthy, hardworking professional.
A major illness could wipe millions of your bank balance...even if you have healthcare insurance. Not to mention meds...most seniors spend many hundreds of $'s per month for meds.

At least in the UK you always have access to a doctor/hospital and free (if you're retired) meds.

I only ask because we have always said we probably couldn't afford to stay here once our health fails. It's a sad fact but true.

Just one example...my daughter's school friend was diagnosed with cancer when she was 16. Both parents had excellent healthcare insurance...her mother is a nurse. After a few months of treatment the ins company refused to pay for any more treatment at Sloane Kettering in NYC. Then they refused to pay for further overnight hospital stays. About 18 mths into her treatment her parents were in debt to the tune of a $250,000. She died just before her 19th birthday...I dread to think of the debt her poor parents had amassed by then.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 1st 2007 at 9:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.