How often have you moved?

Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:13 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default How often have you moved?

On this board we sometimes talk about the curse of the ex-pats, but it's not only moving country. Over 30 years we moved from one side of Canada to the other, and one of those moves was much farther than, for example, moving from the UK to the eastern US.

So I'm wondering how many times people here have moved, not counting within a town or small area, and how it makes us different.

I count 9 for us. That's 9 places where I've left a little of myself, and 9 places that I carry a little bit of-- sometimes more than a bit -- with me. But it does make it easier to move on, I think, if we want to.

However, we've never backtracked. Never returned to live in a place we've lived before.

You?

Bev
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often have you moved?

Originally Posted by Bevm
On this board we sometimes talk about the curse of the ex-pats, but it's not only moving country. Over 30 years we moved from one side of Canada to the other, and one of those moves was much farther than, for example, moving from the UK to the eastern US.

So I'm wondering how many times people here have moved, not counting within a town or small area, and how it makes us different.

I count 9 for us. That's 9 places where I've left a little of myself, and 9 places that I carry a little bit of-- sometimes more than a bit -- with me. But it does make it easier to move on, I think, if we want to.

However, we've never backtracked. Never returned to live in a place we've lived before.

You?

Bev
Including my first move to go to college (where I ended up living and working for a while), I've lived in 9 towns in 3 countries (5 if you count England, Scotland and Wales as 3 countries).

In terms of living in different houses, I have lived in something like 20 or more (about 30 or 40 if you include temporary house-sitting for periods of a few weeks to a few months).

Believe it or not I actually like stability! I have enjoyed all of the adventures, but it has worn me out a bit.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from the UK to Dallas Texas back to the UK then to Florida onto California drove the whole way. Best trip I have ever taken still remember the beauty in some areas and the poverty in others. Then moved to Rhode Island and then onto New Hampshire. We didnt move back to the same places as we left although we did move to the same areas for a short time just to get support but that will not be possible this time and I dont want to return to the area we were living in when we left the UK, not because I dont like it I just want to find somewhere without all the memories. If I moved back to Chester i would be looking for all my family and friends who are long gone and I would have to walk past the furniture shop my Dad worked in and expect him to be standing outside waiting to grab a customer.
I also left a little bit of myself in each place we lived and lots of memories. The longest we lived in one place was 15years.

Last edited by trottytrue; Mar 28th 2011 at 7:42 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

I am almost 39.

I have lived in 18 different towns, some of them more than 3 times. that cover 2 countries and 3 provinces.

If I count houses....well that is rather depressing..lol. 30.

life has been an adventure that is for sure

xx

reeni
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

For me 8 major moves as defined with one repeat. For the OH, an additional 4 with a total of 2 repeats.

Frightening isn't it?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

6 not including college. This house we've been 17 years, same amount of time as the house I grew up in.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:42 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Including UK, 4 different countries.

Towns/cities - 7

Houses - at least 23 (Yes I do pay my bills, and no I have never done a runner).

I find living in different houses quite nice, provides a nice change. However I don't like the actual moving process (packing etc).
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:40 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a serial mover too. 14 houses in 10 different towns, including 2 in Canada (1 being an appartment rental for 5 weeks).
My youngest daughter had lived in 6 different houses by 5 years old.

I have lived in my most recent house for 3 and half years, which is the longest I have stayed in 1 house since being married 9 years ago!

I think we got exhausted after the immigration move and decided to stay in this house although I would have moved again by now but hubby put his foot down

I love moving and being in a new house, but I too hate all the packing and moving process.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:04 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Perhaps there are movers and non-movers. Or rolling stones and rooters.

Most of our old friends hardly move at all. Let's see, since 1970, one couple has moved twice and vows to leave their house in a box. One has been in the same house all along, and shows no sign of moving though they're not entirely happy there. Ditto the next. Another has moved 3 times, but they stayed in the middle one nearly 30 years. They're the biggest wanderers among our old friends.

I often wonder what it would have been like to have lived in the same place for the last 40 years. If it were a nice place, I think I'd like it.

Bev
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Grew up in London, UK
University Birmingham UK, different place each year (3)
Faversham UK
Sheffield UK
Magor UK
Nassau, Bahamas, two different houses
Voorschoten, Netherlands
Cork, Ireland
Sydney, rental for first year, then bought a place.

I make that 13. Will be 14 in early 2012.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

14 cities and 17 houses not counting a few short term rentals and I am 41!

Born in Brum lived in Beds, Worcs & West Midlands during my schoool years, moved to Notts, Sussex, Oxon and Cornwall before heading overseas returned to Cornwall and then back to NZ
just a few miles !!!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Seven houses in Surrey, UK - from Tadworth on one side, to Frimley on the other - but most years spent at Boxhill.

Then one house here in Alberta, for nearly 4 years now.

Like others, the actual packing and moving bit is mentally and physically exhausting, but setting up in a new house and making it your own home, well, I like that bit.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:03 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

There have been so many over the years from the US to Bali,Canada,Portugal,Spain,Australia,Greece and the UK....getting on for 30 maybe more lol.....I should be Gypsy girl
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:49 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Seven houses in Surrey, UK - from Tadworth on one side, to Frimley on the other - but most years spent at Boxhill.

Then one house here in Alberta, for nearly 4 years now.

Like others, the actual packing and moving bit is mentally and physically exhausting, but setting up in a new house and making it your own home, well, I like that bit.
Hi Ann,

My parents lived on Boxhill a few years ago. It's a small world
Old Apr 10th 2011, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

toodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of light

I stayed in the same house until I was 19, then have had about 14 homes since leaving - though 3 of those were at uni so same city.

We've had 6 homes in our 12 years of marriage, and about to move again. The longest I've stayed in one house in the last 21 years was 5 years, but we were looking to move after 2 - just took a while to go through the emigration process!

As others have said, I hate the packing and actual move, but I like moving into different houses. I can't envisage staying anywhere for long, my parents are still in the house I grew up in, have been there since they got married in 1964 and will be there until the day they die - I can't imagine staying in one house that long!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.