Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How Much Are You Going Back With?

Wikiposts

How Much Are You Going Back With?

Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Much Are You Going Back With?

Originally Posted by cricket1
I'm confused. Did you go back the UK last December, then come back to Australia, now you're planning to go back to the UK, right?
Nearly right USA.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

Can i ask those of you who are going back with not much money and no house ....how will you live ???,surely you wont qualifie for a council house ,benefits ,etc ???? so how will you manage ?????this tought would worrie me sense less xxxxxx
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lobby lou
Can i ask those of you who are going back with not much money and no house ....how will you live ???,surely you wont qualifie for a council house ,benefits ,etc ???? so how will you manage ?????this tought would worrie me sense less xxxxxx
Hi, yes it does worry me but we hope to get a job before we return if not get one asap my husband is good at doing most things so even if he odd jobs for awhile we should be ok just fingers crossed and everything else
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue1
Hi, yes it does worry me but we hope to get a job before we return if not get one asap my husband is good at doing most things so even if he odd jobs for awhile we should be ok just fingers crossed and everything else
I love your attitude. You will be fine with an attitude like that. I've come to the conclusion and try to remind myself everytime a new problem arises that things always work out in the end... and that stressing over every little thing is not helpful as it can badly affect your health and without your health, you're stuffed. I'm an over-planner, my house is full of lists, andI've worried myself sick but the truth is, you can only control and plan things up to a point. Good luck with your return
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:20 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll be staying with either DH's mum (lovely large house along the Thames) or his son (3-bedroom flat above the pub he manages in Kew) until we find a) jobs and b) accomodation. When the time is right, we'll start our job hunting over here. I am a very experienced Legal Secretary and worked as such for a Solicitor when we were living in London; DH is an IT programmer/website developer/trainer. We honestly don't think either of us will have a problem finding work.

I will turn 55 years old in late 2009 and DH has said something about sheltered housing but there are only a few councils left (according to him) who are still doing that.

We're not worried - we're looking at it as an adventure, and why not? Life is not a dress rehearsal.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

I applaud your attitudes.........xxx.....I just wondered as outsiders can come to uk and automatically get benefits ,etc and i wondered if ex uk residents would qualify as well ?//or if you would be penalized xxI truly wish you all every success in the world xxxxx
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:16 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I applaud your attitudes.........xxx.....I just wondered as outsiders can come to uk and automatically get benefits ,etc and i wondered if ex uk residents would qualify as well ?//or if you would be penalized xxI truly wish you all every success in the world xxxxx
If you are a UK citizen, you ARE entitled to help. I know this because it happened to me wheni went back earlier this year to start a new job and contracted pnuemonia one day after starting!!
You have to fill out a habitual residency form to state you are intending to settle there and thats basically it.

We will be lucky when we go back as we have several options of family members wanting to help us out with accomodation until OH starts work.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

If I go back this year it will be with about AU$100k, most of which I would keep in an Australian high interest account until the exchange rate improves or until I have no other choice than to transfer the money over!
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:32 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

very little but ild rather be broke and happy than broke here and miserable

we will be staying with my mam and hopefully get a rental and job thats the only thing im worried about work with the recession it wont be easy I think but dont care Ill have my family around me again
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

u r all very lucky having people to help.......as i know there are huge waits for council houses in some areas .....xxxx
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:49 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

u r all very lucky having people to help.......as i know there are huge waits for council houses in some areas .....xxxx
when and where abouts are you moving back to in the UK?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:58 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
If you are a UK citizen, you ARE entitled to help.

i've not read all this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...54&postcount=1 but i'm sure the OP >whereamifrom would be glad to know of the help you say is avail to returning UK citizens.

afaik, no help is avail to the returning UK citizen (without kids) as i think the UK government take the view that that person chose to leave the UK in the first place.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I am not returning to uk any time soon ....but if i was we have a house in wiltshire....were my son /dil/grandson live at the moment....as he has a good job , but cannot afford a mortgage at the moment and they have hit walls re a council house ....my dil was told she would get one quicker if she went as a single mum....as thay get priority and it seemd the asylum seekers .........why is uk going to the dogs!!!!!!!
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:36 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i've not read all this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...54&postcount=1 but i'm sure the OP >whereamifrom would be glad to know of the help you say is avail to returning UK citizens.

afaik, no help is avail to the returning UK citizen (without kids) as i think the UK government take the view that that person chose to leave the UK in the first place.
He does not qualify because as he stated in his post, he has never lived in UK or paid any taxes.

I did not think i would be entitled myself, but I think it was Sue the admin on here who posted way back when i was very sick over there and worried about my dwindling funds, that there was some court case which changed the rulings there about returning expats being eligible to funds.
Turned out to be correct. Providing i filled out the habitual residency form asking if i intended to be settling back there, why i came back there and what were my ties to the UK, if i answered correctly i was entitled.
I ended up getting the basic income support allowance as i was not entitled to incapacity benefit.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Came back about 2 yrs ago with 2 kids, one dog, no home and £200. Now we have a joint income of around £70k, and a large mortage (negative equity) Didnt ship all the furniture back from Oz so slept on the floor for about 6weeks etc etc etc..... but it shows you it can be done, if you are desperate enough at the time to force yourself to take a gamble.
I must say, though that all of this would have been impossible were in not for the tremendous support of family/friends rallying round.
Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.