How much £ is enough?

Old Jan 11th 2016, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much £ is enough?

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Travel by rail still looks expensive to me.

A one way (single) ticket from Hemel Hempstead to London (26 miles) as a typical suburban commute is £13.70. Where I live in the U.S., a similar suburban rail trip is $5 (£3.43).

But this is without any discounts. I may be wrong, but from a U.S. perspective it seems much less expensive here. So unless one is a senior, I'm not completely understanding the cheap UK public transportation thoughts. The state does subsidize rail fare a bit here, however.
So £13.70 gets you into London, and £3.43 gets you into Chicago. I know which one is the better deal!
Old Jan 11th 2016, 1:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Travel by rail still looks expensive to me.

A one way (single) ticket from Hemel Hempstead to London (26 miles) as a typical suburban commute is £13.70. Where I live in the U.S., a similar suburban rail trip is $5 (£3.43).

But this is without any discounts. I may be wrong, but from a U.S. perspective it seems much less expensive here. So unless one is a senior, I'm not completely understanding the cheap UK public transportation thoughts. The state does subsidize rail fare a bit here, however.
Well, one is a senior. Free buses, discounted trains (based on a £30 per year pass.)

But also, I don't think anyone in earlier posts was comparing UK with another country. Living in rural New York State, I have no buses or trains available to me. ( I have one bus a day to Albany, eight hour journey time. It's only four hours by car.) Chicago, I agree, has very good buses, subways and trains.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 1:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So £13.70 gets you into London, and £3.43 gets you into Chicago. I know which one is the better deal!
As they say in rural Maine, you can't get there from here.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 1:59 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't see how that would help.
The assumption is that the standard of living of the median income household in the UK and the US are similar. You might have to make some adjustments for things like medical costs. Still, if you currently spend $30k to live in CA where the median income is $61k that means you are ok on about 50% of the median income. In the UK the median household income is 24kGBP so a first estimate would be that you'd be ok on 24k *0.5 = 12k GBP. If you are moving to London you'd want to use the median income in London...which is about double the UK median income.

If pensions plus SS plus 0.04*(401k and other fund investments) is greater than 12k GBP you are probably set to retire.

Last edited by nun; Jan 11th 2016 at 2:02 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 2:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by nun
The assumption is that the standard of living of the median income household in the UK and the US are similar. You might have to make some adjustments for things like medical costs. Still, if you currently spend $30k to live in CA where the median income is $61k that means you are ok on about 50% of the median income. In the UK the median household income is 24kGBP so a first estimate would be that you'd be ok on 24k *0.5 = 12k GBP

If pensions plus SS plus 0.04*(401k and other fund investments) is greater than 12k GBP you are probably set to retire.
This seems fair, and simple to do. This is basically what I did, but used 3% not 4%.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 2:05 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
This seems fair, and simple to do. This is basically what I did, but used 3% not 4%.
Yes I'me with you on the 4% rule probably being a bit optimistic give poor bond fund returns.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, good point for sure.

Well, one is a senior. Free buses, discounted trains (based on a £30 per year pass.)

But also, I don't think anyone in earlier posts was comparing UK with another country. Living in rural New York State, I have no buses or trains available to me. ( I have one bus a day to Albany, eight hour journey time. It's only four hours by car.) Chicago, I agree, has very good buses, subways and trains.
That's true. Such a county by country comparison is difficult. And one bus per day is quite a different story. I think it was based on Albert's original US to UK move question related to £ needed. Transportation was just one thing to consider.

As they say in rural Maine, you can't get there from here.
Rural Maine wisdom. Now if someone could explain that!
Old Jan 11th 2016, 4:23 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

On the median income thing. Wow! OK, if it works for you. It seems complicated to me. For one thing, if you are working in Country A and retiring in Country B, then you are not only changing countries but lifestyles, with very different expenses. Also the assumption that standards of living on median incomes in both countries are comparable seems a very big assumption.

But if it works it works, I guess.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 4:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

On the median income thing. Wow! OK, if it works for you. It seems complicated to me. For one thing, if you are working in Country A and retiring in Country B, then you are not only changing countries but lifestyles, with very different expenses. Also the assumption that standards of living on median incomes in both countries are comparable seems a very big assumption.

But if it works it works, I guess.
It only works if the two countries are broadly similar, and I would say that the UK and the US meet that condition, more or less, though there is the usual caveat that there are massive disparities between places within the two countries. In other words if you are living in San Francisco and retire to Cumbria then you'll be very comfortably off, whereas if you're living in Mississippi and are thinking of retiring to London you're likely to get a rude awakening.

I guess people who retire to Thailand or the Philippines are seeking to move their fixed income higher up the national curve of income levels.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 5:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

FYI

Cost of Living in Chester

Change the location to meet your needs & to get a ballpark figure
Old Jan 11th 2016, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Albert_dock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by not2old
FYI

Cost of Living in Chester

Change the location to meet your needs & to get a ballpark figure
Great website. Cheers!
Old Jan 11th 2016, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Albert_dock is an unknown quantity at this point

It only works if the two countries are broadly similar, and I would say that the UK and the US meet that condition, more or less, though there is the usual caveat that there are massive disparities between places within the two countries. In other words if you are living in San Francisco and retire to Cumbria then you'll be very comfortably off, whereas if you're living in Mississippi and are thinking of retiring to London you're likely to get a rude awakening.

I guess people who retire to Thailand or the Philippines are seeking to move their fixed income higher up the national curve of income levels.
I'm coming from Los Angeles, so would most likely fit in with your first example.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Nun, are you saying that 12k pounds per year is enough to live on in UK?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 8:21 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

12k is low for a couple. It's the level of pension credit - the means tested benefit for pensioners on low incomes. So, in the long term (after you've been resident for long enough to qualify) you are not going to get less, but you are not going to have much of a life on that sum either.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 8:24 pm

12k is low for a couple. It's the level of pension credit - the means tested benefit for pensioners on low incomes. So, in the long term (after you've been resident for long enough to qualify) you are not going to get less, but you are not going to have much of a life on that sum either.
It might be tolerable if you own your own home outright. ..... Though without investment/savings to fund repairs a major repair could cause you a crisis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.