Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How To Make The Decision- summing up.

How To Make The Decision- summing up.

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How To Make The Decision- summing up.

Although making a pros and cons list is a good starting point, in the end the final go/stay decision is likely to be determined by emotion.

At the rational level, contrary to the myth, we didn't see Oz offering a better quality of life or more opportunities for the children.

Our reaction to the question "Would we be happy to end our days in Oz; to die in the ar**-end of nowhere?" ...was all the prompt we needed to book our single tickets home.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:03 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

So what part of the UK are you going to (sorry did I miss that?). Do some research, just like you would if you were going the other way. I live in SW London but my commute is 5 mins by car into the Surrey countryside and I cycle in the summer. I live in a nice area with friendly people. At this stage in my career there is NO WAY I would consider commuting to London every day (only if desperate!!).
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Hey if you don't like Spiders, move closer into town, away from bush and get a couple of cats. I have 2 male short haired and they disposed of anything with more than one leg that patrols the walls/garage etc.

Boredom got me, but that was because I was frustrated in love, being with Australian girls who have never travelled and don't understand what being an expat is I found too hard. I found it hard in that regard and all english girls I met had come with a fella.

if I had a family I could probably bear it, but then I remember how painful AFL season was and how shi*e the music over there is and think twice, hehehe.

Europe 1 v Australia 0
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:58 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

I recommend reading "what colour is your parachute". It talks about the "geography of the heart" which I found useful. I have accepted that I am a bit of a nomad. I can't change it, i've given up trying to fight it. When im in the UK i miss aspects of OZ. When im in OZ I miss aspects of the UK. When im in NZ i miss aspects of OZ and the UK. Can't win, cos every country has its + and - I've decided to make the most of where I am right now - and see where life takes me.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:01 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coda
I recommend reading "what colour is your parachute". It talks about the "geography of the heart" which I found useful. I have accepted that I am a bit of a nomad. I can't change it, i've given up trying to fight it. When im in the UK i miss aspects of OZ. When im in OZ I miss aspects of the UK. When im in NZ i miss aspects of OZ and the UK. Can't win, cos every country has its + and - I've decided to make the most of where I am right now - and see where life takes me.
I wonder whether you are a positive person! You notice the good things in each country which is why it is so hard. I'm a bit like that too. Probably easier than being negative and hating everywhere. I'm going to look out for that book!!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:07 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by jmh
I wonder whether you are a positive person! You notice the good things in each country which is why it is so hard. I'm a bit like that too. Probably easier than being negative and hating everywhere. I'm going to look out for that book!!
Nowhere is perfect, true. I'd make a list of your top ten must haves with a weighting in terms of importance. I wish I had done it. Which country ticks the most boxes?

Right now i would kill for a decent surf beach. But then again im loving the premiership, the british sense of humor, decent newspapers, and the promise of going to South-Africa in July for a surf trip.

Compromise.

Also, im not constantly worried about stepping on locals toes because im a pommy bastard.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:39 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Nowhere is perfect, true. I'd make a list of your top ten must haves with a weighting in terms of importance. I wish I had done it. Which country ticks the most boxes?

Right now i would kill for a decent surf beach. But then again im loving the premiership, the british sense of humor, decent newspapers, and the promise of going to South-Africa in July for a surf trip.

Compromise.

Also, im not constantly worried about stepping on locals toes because im a pommy bastard.
Whats South Africa like for surfing?

Did you know that CODA is a Led Zeppelin album? Cool name
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Whats South Africa like for surfing?

Did you know that CODA is a Led Zeppelin album? Cool name
South-africa is bloody brilliant for surfing. Check out j-Bay. Yeah, I did know coda was a led-zep album. don't get me started on modern state of rock
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:00 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

South-africa is bloody brilliant for surfing. Check out j-Bay. Yeah, I did know coda was a led-zep album. don't get me started on modern state of rock
Started to show an interest in surfing several years ago despite not being very good. First did it in Chicama Peru which I know is famous for surfing. Haven`t done it here in Spain because where i live on the Med its not known for surfing, best places I think in Spain are Tarifa and on the north coast. I imagine Sth Africa would be good because its on the Cape of Good Hope.

There are some very good rock groups still out there today but you have to look very hard for them.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
There are some very good rock groups still out there today but you have to look very hard for them.
whitestripes arent bad.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I find the myself doing the same thing too. I wouldn't say it's because I'm an extremely positive person as such, but rather that I'm somewhat idealistic. I'm always imagining how things "SHOULD" be and could be.

In a way I wish I didn't do that because it obviously makes me notice the flaws in everything, including of course the country I live in compared to the other country I could be living in.

On the other hand it's a good thing to be idealistic because it enables me to constantly think about how I would ideally want things to be, and I know that constantly thinking about what you want things to be is the best way to eventually get things how you want them to be, or at least closer to it.

That's what all the experts say, and I have proven it to myself many times so I know it's true.

For example every job I have ever had I think about how the company could do things better. It's frustrating because I often can't change everything because it's not always up to me. However it does cause me to sub-consciously seek the things I want and that's how I've doubled my salary and got into a much better (though still far from perfect) job over the last 3 years.

It's frustrating doing this with regard to the country you live in of course, because no country is anything like perfect and I think my ideal country to live in might have all the best aspects of Britain AND all the best aspects of Australia, and few or none of either countries faults.

Of course I can't have that because no such country exists!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Boo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really niceBoo Boo is just really nice

have you managed to get yourself over to the west coast of Canada - surfing at Tofina can be awesome ~ and ive yet to try the South African experiance give us an update when you get there
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:12 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

whitestripes arent bad.
Well Garage Rock isn`t exactly my scene, I`m far more into hard rock and metal
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
One thing to be mindful of and that can be the post relocation fall out. Often you see it on here, people get distracted with the logistics of moving and getting sorted and then when it is done and the dust settles anti climax CAN creep in.

I lived in Australia for 9 years, kept coming back to Europe and UK round June/July time and really loved it and started getting homesick. SO I moved back in June last year, after 2-3 months I really thought I had made a bad mistake, wasn't unhappy here but realised my friends and lifestyle and ME had changed. Getting up in the dark and getting home in the dark was different for me and left me empty, the harshness of some people in London where I lived was a surprise, the cold, the grey skies, traffic jams every morning to get to work, its the same shi* everyone moans about, but the biggest issue for me was I have 9 years of contacts in Melbourne business wise, here I have to start again !!! Whoa, I knew that before I left but it didn't register with me at all as i was so excited about traveling then going home.

All these things started to prey on my mind

I decided in December, NOPE I am better suited to Aussie now and started making changes to move back once and for all with my girlfriend. I am at ref checking stages with a job and have told my friends over there, see you soon.

Thing is Cricket, I am actually starting to love the UK, it has taken me time and I jumped back to comfort too quickly. I am seriously thinking about staying here now which is great, either way ill be happy but you need to give yourself 9-12 months and you HAVE to be prepared to do this otherwise don't bother IMO.

Rather than make a list of what you cant live with in Aus, try making one about what you need to be back here.

So, try to compile a list of what you want and need here to make the landing soft and comfy and you will be fine

Oh its 3 degrees in london and green green green !!!!!!!

its the bloody reverse culture shock going back to your own country after so many years can be unsettling, i am going through the same thing now, and slowly getting used to it (been back for 6-7 months now).

Reading you got used to it again gives me hope!!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Ozziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant future

Ask yourself this....if airflight was no longer an option and you were stuck in one country or the other with no way of getting out or back.....where would you REALLY want to be?
Immediate and simple answer for me. How bout others?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.