Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How long were you apart from OH...

Wikiposts

How long were you apart from OH...

Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all
Default How long were you apart from OH...

I was wondering how long you lived apart from your OH when moving back home to the UK. My OH and I have been apart since October. We are waiting on someone to just come buy our home here in houston and then I can move back home...

We have thought about leaving the house on the market and moving home, but that would mean leaving the house empty, not sure if that is a good thing or not..

I was just wondering how long other people have or had been apart before making a decision to just move back to the UK....

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:52 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long were you apart from OH...

Originally Posted by mctraill
I was wondering how long you lived apart from your OH when moving back home to the UK. My OH and I have been apart since October. We are waiting on someone to just come buy our home here in houston and then I can move back home...

We have thought about leaving the house on the market and moving home, but that would mean leaving the house empty, not sure if that is a good thing or not..

I was just wondering how long other people have or had been apart before making a decision to just move back to the UK....

Thanks
wow that's along time...i thought 8-10 weeks was long enough....i'd be ripping my hair out now!!
Don't know what else to say and I feel for you both. Do you have any neighbours that could keep an eye on the house for you?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

mctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to allmctraill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatcat65
wow that's along time...i thought 8-10 weeks was long enough....i'd be ripping my hair out now!!
Don't know what else to say and I feel for you both. Do you have any neighbours that could keep an eye on the house for you?
Yep we are pretty much at that point...I dont have neighbours that I know well enough but I do have a friend who can come over and check the house every so often and we do have an alarm on the property....
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:52 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Yep we are pretty much at that point...I dont have neighbours that I know well enough but I do have a friend who can come over and check the house every so often and we do have an alarm on the property....
then i would ask the favor of your friend and high tail it back home rapid! After all its just a house! Your relationship is more important than bricks and mortar.
The realtors should also be looking out for the property as they are acting for you as I understand it?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:02 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We were 9 months, apart, then together for 8 weeks and apart another 4 months. It's do-able. sad but it works.
ED has been apart the longest, over a year now isn't it?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatcat65
then i would ask the favor of your friend and high tail it back home rapid! After all its just a house! Your relationship is more important than bricks and mortar.
The realtors should also be looking out for the property as they are acting for you as I understand it?
My friend offered only yesterday to come over and visit the house to ensure its Ok, we are seriously thinking this is the way...not sure about insurance coverage though if we leave the house empty...
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We were 9 months, apart, then together for 8 weeks and apart another 4 months. It's do-able. sad but it works.
ED has been apart the longest, over a year now isn't it?
Wow..thats a long time....how did you manage, its such a long time...
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Wow..thats a long time....how did you manage, its such a long time...
We were both working full time and I was busy with our oldest son, he started school and went to the child minders and my Mums. We just did it, cause there was no other way really, you do what you have to do. Dh was stuck in the US selling the house.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

We were both working full time and I was busy with our oldest son, he started school and went to the child minders and my Mums. We just did it, cause there was no other way really, you do what you have to do. Dh was stuck in the US selling the house.
This is true you do what you have to do, thats where we are now, me stuck in US selling the house, I guess it will sell eventually, people keep telling us to just post the keys back to the bank but we dont want to that, it wouldnt be very honest of us...
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:19 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

We did a year and a month apart, with 3, all too brief, reunions during that time.

It's doable, but not the ideal way to conduct a marriage.

Hope that your house sells very soon or you find a way to be together sooner!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alipally
We did a year and a month apart, with 3, all too brief, reunions during that time.

It's doable, but not the ideal way to conduct a marriage.

Hope that your house sells very soon or you find a way to be together sooner!
13 months.. is a very, very long time apart, I hope we dont have to wait that long...

I was wondering what the average time apart is, its seems much longer than I thought...LOL
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:42 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

This is true you do what you have to do, thats where we are now, me stuck in US selling the house, I guess it will sell eventually, people keep telling us to just post the keys back to the bank but we dont want to that, it wouldnt be very honest of us...
If you aren't going to make any money off it, have you thought of asking the bank for a short sale?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

If you aren't going to make any money off it, have you thought of asking the bank for a short sale?
Could you explain further, we wont make anything at all in fact we will more than likely have to put some money to closing....
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Could you explain further, we wont make anything at all in fact we will more than likely have to put some money to closing....
Then I'd take your friends advice and mail the keys, you are sending them money every month and will still give them more when it sells? No way, go be with your Dh and start fresh, no one here seems to care that so many people have walked away from homes I'm surrounded by them here.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Then I'd take your friends advice and mail the keys, you are sending them money every month and will still give them more when it sells? No way, go be with your Dh and start fresh, no one here seems to care that so many people have walked away from homes I'm surrounded by them here.
If we did that wouldnt it stop us from coming back to the USA? my OH new job could bring him back here to work on occasion and I want to visit other parts of USA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.