Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How long should I allow at the airport to get through immigration?

How long should I allow at the airport to get through immigration?

Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Aaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really nice
Default How long should I allow at the airport to get through immigration?

I've got my temporary spouse visa (I-551) and am about to book our flights. As it will be my first time entering the country with my new visa how long should I allow at POE immigration?

Looking at the flights its a frustrating choice between 2.30hrs and 6hrs! Its tricky because we're bringing our dogs over at the same time, so I want to make the trip as short as possible for them. Would 2.30hrs be enough time?
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long should I allow at the airport to get through immigration?

Originally Posted by Aaarrrggg
I've got my temporary spouse visa (I-551) and am about to book our flights. As it will be my first time entering the country with my new visa how long should I allow at POE immigration?
Observation: it might help others to answer your question with proper facts. It is not clear if you obtained your immigrant visa and then entered the US to "activate" it or whether you are coming to the US for the first time on the Immigrant Visa issued at the consulate.

Further observation: time to clear CBP inspection can vary considerably by what type of admission is involved [see above], which POE and time of arrival.

No advice given nor intended.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Aaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really nice

My apologies;

This will be the first time entering the US after obtaining my temporary spouse visa from the London Embassy, so yup, I'll be activating it.

The flight I'm looking at goes from Heathrow to Houston and then on to Austin. It would arrive in Houston (GB International) at 12:40pm. I'd then have 2hrs 50mins before the next flight left for Austin (I found another one with a slightly longer wait than before.)

Does anyone have any experience going through this airport in particular... or failing that, how long did everyone have to wait (so I can get a general idea of time frame.)
Old Mar 27th 2010, 1:59 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

My apologies;

This will be the first time entering the US after obtaining my temporary spouse visa from the London Embassy, so yup, I'll be activating it.

The flight I'm looking at goes from Heathrow to Houston and then on to Austin. It would arrive in Houston (GB International) at 12:40pm. I'd then have 2hrs 50mins before the next flight left for Austin (I found another one with a slightly longer wait than before.)

Does anyone have any experience going through this airport in particular... or failing that, how long did everyone have to wait (so I can get a general idea of time frame.)
A side comment: If you're flying with an airline that is based in Houston (Continental for example) or has a lot of flights out of Houston, you can consider booking the earlier flight, if you miss it then you could still rebook for the next available flight.
Another side comment: IAH is a major hub for Continental for its international flight to Central/South America. Otherwise, there are not too many international flights in and out of IAH. Immigration there won't be as busy as Chicago, New York JFK, LAX, or San Francisco.

Last edited by lifehouse51; Mar 27th 2010 at 2:03 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

That's a good point!

The only problem would be the dogs carrying on ahead of us, but I guess I could bring that up with the pet transport people... or my hubbie could still get that flight and wait with them at the other end. Not ideal, but at least it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm not used to the idea of flights being booked the same day, so I hadn't even considered it!

Thanks!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 2:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies;

FYI, there is no such thing as a temporary spouse visa. I believe you are talking about becoming a conditional permanent resident when you enter the POE with your spousal visa. If so, that is not temporary. It only means that in 2 years minus 90 days from the date you enter the POE you need to apply to have the conditions removed from your status. This is done by submitting form I-751 with accompanying evidence of the continuation of your ongoing marriage to the USC.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
FYI, there is no such thing as a temporary spouse visa. I believe you are talking about becoming a conditional permanent resident when you enter the POE with your spousal visa. If so, that is not temporary. It only means that in 2 years minus 90 days from the date you enter the POE you need to apply to have the conditions removed from your status. This is done by submitting form I-751 with accompanying evidence of the continuation of your ongoing marriage to the USC.
Yup, by 'temporary' I was just meant it was the 6mth one I received from the embassy.

On it it says "Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year"

I thought by using the term "temporary" it would communicate that it was the one I needed to activate. Sorry for the confusion it seems to have caused! I was just trying to explain what I had in as few words as possible so the post didn't get too long. Its always tricky on this forum trying to get the length right.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
That would depend on how long they were married prior to getting the spousal visa and whether or not she has a CR-1 or IR-1, wouldn't it? If it's the latter, there would be no conditions to remove, but OP did not provide that information.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, by 'temporary' I was just meant it was the 6mth one I received from the embassy.

On it it says "Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year"

I thought by using the term "temporary" it would communicate that it was the one I needed to activate. Sorry for the confusion it seems to have caused! I was just trying to explain what I had in as few words as possible so the post didn't get too long. Its always tricky on this forum trying to get the length right.

Okay thanks for defining what you meant by the use of temporary visa. It is a visa that has an expiration date.

As for the temporary I-551 that means that it is to tide you over until the green card is received in the mail.

Just wanted to determine what your knowledge of the process was if you were entering as a conditional PR instead of a lawful PR.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by discoviking
That would depend on how long they were married prior to getting the spousal visa and whether or not she has a CR-1 or IR-1, wouldn't it? If it's the latter, there would be no conditions to remove, but OP did not provide that information.

Yes, I know all that and as I said "I believe" since he did not clarify what he was considering temporary until he was questioned.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

I know you were aware, did not mean to imply otherwise. I just wanted to point it out to the OP as well.

Last edited by discoviking; Mar 27th 2010 at 3:20 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies;

It's been a while, but it's a huge airport, with separate international & domestic terminals; why don't you see if you can find a map of the airport online to see what your gate situation is (if that info is avail with the booking).

With the changes in security (even longer!) AND the dog factor, I'd tend to hedge toward the more conservative booking.
Then again, maybe the airline can accommodate you if you miss the earlier one?

Our POE drill only took 15 minutes, which is a common reply. BUT, it can also take a couple of hours in itself.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
Old Mar 27th 2010, 6:23 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I'd go with the 2.50 hour layover and arrange for my DH to continue on with the animals if things got delayed. My cat was in his carrier for 18 hours from London to Portland, what with time before and after the flight - and there weren't even any layovers! I wouldn't have wanted to do anything to extend his travel time.

One thing to consider - arrange your seats so you're as close to being first off the plane as possible. We upgraded to business class for the flight over and ended up being the first ones at the visa-stamping desk, which cut our time dramatically. I think it was about half an hour at the desk.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

A point to check on is other international arrivals at IAH around the same time as your flight is due to arrive. This may give you some idea what size of lines at the immigration desks to expect.
here is a typical link for IAH:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ortQueryType=1

If there are many international flights around the same time as yours then expect longer lines if you are one of the first in then expect shorter times (if you get my drift) its first come first served.
Recently I arrived in Detroit from Amsterdam and was the first at an immigration desk I was through within 15 mins of arriving at the gate and that included the walk from the gate to the desks, pity I had to wait even longer for the bags to turn up and get into the customs line.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I would echo what everyone else is saying. How long is a piece of string really. Your flight could arrive late that puts you at the back of a line. Or there could be an issue at the airport which backs everything up.

I have this myself in a couple weeks, and Im going into LAX which isn't exactly a quiet airport!

Allow lots and lots of time. Im sure it will all be stressful enough as it is, without having to worry about missing a flight too.

Edited to add: note this poster's lengthy wait...albeit at diff airport.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661271

Last edited by Ginblossom; Mar 28th 2010 at 4:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.