Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How long should I allow at the airport to get through immigration?

How long should I allow at the airport to get through immigration?

Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long should I allow at the airport to get through immigration?

Expect around 2 hours at Houston - I came through there myself.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
It was about 2 hours for us at JFK in 2004. Might have even been 3 hours. Hard to remember exactly now. LOL

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:05 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cranston
Texans are taking their sweet time getting things done ...definitely don't miss that (and the accent that I can't understand half of the time)...one of the few things I actually miss about Texas is the Texas BBQ...specificaly Goode Company
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

I've flown through Houston with Continental serveral times and it's never taken me more than around an hour. That being said, everybody's experience is different.

The one time I was late with Continental they had no problems sticking me on the next flight. That was due to my flight being late because of fog in London, not immigration (and that was Newark, not Houston).
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:29 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paul_79
I've flown through Houston with Continental serveral times and it's never taken me more than around an hour. That being said, everybody's experience is different.

The one time I was late with Continental they had no problems sticking me on the next flight. That was due to my flight being late because of fog in London, not immigration (and that was Newark, not Houston).
Yea, I can't imagine immigration at IAH taking longer than say, Newark. Houston IAH's the largest hub for Continental, Newark's the second largest hub. Especially for flights within Texas, I'm sure Continental have many flights available during the day.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Aaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies!

I spoke to the pet transport people and it looks like the decision has been made for me. It turns out that pets need at least 4hrs to clear between connecting flights! Blurgh...! Oh well, at least we won't have to worry about rushing through immigration. It's going to be a nightmare of a day, but worth it to start living the dream. Getting so excited now
Old May 4th 2010, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really niceHellopaul is just really nice

Took me about 2 hours. Well, I (and my wife and poor doggy) had to WAIT for two hours to be called forward to sign a form and give one fingerprint. Which took about two minutes. That was at Washington DC Dulles airport.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:49 am
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Vimto
A point to check on is other international arrivals at IAH around the same time as your flight is due to arrive. This may give you some idea what size of lines at the immigration desks to expect.
here is a typical link for IAH:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ortQueryType=1

If there are many international flights around the same time as yours then expect longer lines if you are one of the first in then expect shorter times (if you get my drift) its first come first served.
Recently I arrived in Detroit from Amsterdam and was the first at an immigration desk I was through within 15 mins of arriving at the gate and that included the walk from the gate to the desks, pity I had to wait even longer for the bags to turn up and get into the customs line.
The period between 1 - 4pm is peak times for most international arrivals. I would highly recommend getting a seat near a door (left side I believe) and getting off pronto. The immigration hall is pretty big BUT they generally don't have that many officers on duty. Recent experience of family arriving in IAH - 1.5 to 4 hours to exit arrivals from landing.
Old May 7th 2010, 3:50 am
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Texans are taking their sweet time getting things done ...definitely don't miss that (and the accent that I can't understand half of the time)...one of the few things I actually miss about Texas is the Texas BBQ...specificaly Goode Company
Yum! The I-10 food house is the best!