Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How long have stay in the UK to qualify for the uprated pension to be made permanent

Wikiposts

How long have stay in the UK to qualify for the uprated pension to be made permanent

Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice
Default Re: How long have stay in the UK to qualify for the uprated pension to be made perman

[QUOTE=dontheturner;8944533]
Originally Posted by MNandMN

MNandMN,
You have a cheek, assuming folks ourside UK pay no tax, Sorry to disillusion you! I probably pay more Tax than you do living there. my tax went UP when I left 4 years ago, That is why I am returning. I also buy, specail foods, which I have shipped, here, and I maintain a house there, on which I pay upkeep services, etc.,(redecorated, and new gas fittings, and shower installed) So, .Please - do not assume, Regards dontheturner
I would be amazed if you pay more tax than me... but that is not question that was posed. The point of the thread was that an individual was wanting to return to the UK to purely get an increased pension and then leave again. Which, in my opinion, is abusing the system. I have no problem with people moving back to the UK and claiming their rightful pension. I lived overseas for ten years myself, but I don't expect other people to pay me the missing years pension which I didn't contribute to. I accept I will get a smaller old age pension, due to time spent abroad, and have I have put other things in place to replace this. Similarly, if I had stayed overseas then I would expect that my pension would be frozen, as the rules have been such for many years.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:27 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long have stay in the UK to qualify for the uprated pension to be made perman

Originally Posted by john5655
for Nun, the appeal against UK government's refusal to pay indexed linked pensions to people living in countries like Canada, Australia and South Africa, has run its course, the UK Government has won its case, full stop. Don't expect any change to the policy of pensioners living abroad.
I'm in US so I will get index linked increases (under current law) when I retire. The new flat rate reform will have to have various ways of qualifying. eg if you are resident in the UK and a stay at home spouse you might not need to have 30 years of NI payments to qualify or maybe you could be classified as self employed and pay voluntary Class 2 contributions like many expats. However, if you're an expat I think the 30 years of NI contribution to qualify should be kept in place.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I would be amazed if you pay more tax than me... but that is not question that was posed. The point of the thread was that an individual was wanting to return to the UK to purely get an increased pension and then leave again. Which, in my opinion, is abusing the system. I have no problem with people moving back to the UK and claiming their rightful pension.
I would argue that the "abuse" is a system where, regardless of contribution record, one's pension can be frozen merely because you live in certain countries. The size of one's pension should be determined solely by contribution record, not by where one happens to reside.

I lived overseas for ten years myself, but I don't expect other people to pay me the missing years pension which I didn't contribute to. I accept I will get a smaller old age pension, due to time spent abroad, and have I have put other things in place to replace this.
Right, but that's a different issue: shorter contribution record should mean lower pension. I doubt many would argue with that.

Similarly, if I had stayed overseas then I would expect that my pension would be frozen, as the rules have been such for many years.
Sure, you might expect this, but does it make the frozen pension policy fair?
Old Oct 27th 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I would argue that the "abuse" is a system where, regardless of contribution record, one's pension can be frozen merely because you live in certain countries. The size of one's pension should be determined solely by contribution record, not by where one happens to reside.
Right, but that's a different issue: shorter contribution record should mean lower pension. I doubt many would argue with that.
GA, You know, that is my thinking exactly, as you so ably have pointed out, Why should I be penalised ( At the age of 80, I might add) just because I choose to live elsehwere? - and I still pay tax too, as many others do. Don
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:59 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dontheturner;8944533]

MNandMN,
You have a cheek, assuming folks ourside UK pay no tax, Sorry to disillusion you! I probably pay more Tax than you do living there. my tax went UP when I left 4 years ago, That is why I am returning. I also buy, specail foods, which I have shipped, here, and I maintain a house there, on which I pay upkeep services, etc.,(redecorated, and new gas fittings, and shower installed) So, .Please - do not assume, Regards dontheturner
Don, as you are out of the country - not resident and not ordinarily resident then you do ot need to pay income tax - probably for the whole time you have been away. As you are British then you can use your personal allowance against any taxable income that you have. You are entitled to claim back tax you have paid for the whole period you were away.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

richard47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

Giantaxe. I have paid National Insurance and income tax for the past 48 years, so if anybody wishes to call this abuse, then I suggest they look the word up in the dictionary! It makes me wonder what benefits they are afraid of losing!

Agree 100% with all you say.

Cheers now
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Bijilo123;8946683]
Originally Posted by dontheturner

Don, as you are out of the country - not resident and not ordinarily resident then you do ot need to pay income tax - probably for the whole time you have been away. As you are British then you can use your personal allowance against any taxable income that you have. You are entitled to claim back tax you have paid for the whole period you were away.

Not so, I am sorry to say, It was not planned to stay here, so I am listed as ''Ordinarily resident'' and we are now returning, in February. Silly, I know, but this was really only going to be a holiday home. I did hope all the family would visit, whilst we were here, but they are all chicken, and said '' Wow, Asia, no thanks'' For some unknown reason, most folks think it is fuill of creepy crawlies - but it is not. I have only seen two flies all this year! don
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:56 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Don,

You are not listed as anything. Put in a tax refund claim and explain the circumstances - there is no list of people who are abroad and should pay tax!!

Good luck - I'm going to Thailand on 10 Nov.