Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How long have stay in the UK to qualify for the uprated pension to be made permanent

Wikiposts

How long have stay in the UK to qualify for the uprated pension to be made permanent

Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

richard47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long have stay in the UK to qualify for the uprated pension to be made permanent

I am a retired pensioner, married and living here in Thailand, where my state pension is frozen!

With the ever decreasing value of the UK pound, down 34% in the last two years, I can see a time when it may well become necessary to return to England, just to get the updated pension. Especially if the basic rate is increased to £140 per week.

So my question is this: How long would I have to stay in England to qualify for the uprated pension to be made permanent, before returning abroad again?

I have asked the Pension Service three times now, and get answers from, "several months to many months to years!!"

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Cheers for now.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: How long have stay in the UK to qualify for the uprated pension to be made perman

Originally Posted by richard47
I am a retired pensioner, married and living here in Thailand, where my state pension is frozen!

With the ever decreasing value of the UK pound, down 34% in the last two So my question is this: How long would I have to stay in England to qualify for the uprated pension to be made permanent, before returning abroad again?

Cheers for now.
Richard...
No, I don't know, but that is why I am returning, amongst other things - I have been here since 2006, and watched my income fall from 73,000 down to 42, 000 (this month the lowest ever). I will tell you in February, as I shall be claiming whatever! Wish me luck! don PS - I should forget the £140, as I don't think that will cure the problem, if it ever happens

Last edited by dontheturner; Oct 25th 2010 at 10:50 pm. Reason: Added PS
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long have stay in the UK to qualify for the uprated pension to be made perman

Out of interest, if someone retired to Australia in 2000 (and therefore received a frozen pension), if they returned to the UK in 2010, would they only receive inflation/cost of living adjustments from that point, or would they be "bumped" all the way to the 2010 level (as if they had never been away)?

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 25th 2010 at 11:47 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
Out of interest, if someone retired to Australia in 2000 (and therefore received a frozen pension), if they returned to the UK in 2010, would they only receive inflation/cost of living adjustments from that point, or would they be "bumped" all the way to the 2010 level (as if gthey had never been away)?
My questions exactly, D, I would love to think it would be ''back paid'', but hardly likely!, Even at the rate of about £2.50 per year, it would come to a fair bit. Will I ever get back the rises I have missed? I was told today, that next April, the rise will come back, but I thought this 'Standstill' included next April? don
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

With the ever decreasing value of the UK pound, down 34% in the last two years, I can see a time when it may well become necessary to return to England, just to get the updated pension. Especially if the basic rate is increased to £140 per week.

So my question is this: How long would I have to stay in England to qualify for the uprated pension to be made permanent, before returning abroad again?

I have asked the Pension Service three times now, and get answers from, "several months to many months to years!!"

Cheers for now.
The reforms are at an early stage and its impact on expats is unknown. If it's a flat rate expats may well get it.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

as far as I recall, if you return to UK to live "permanently" you will get the current rate as would any other UK pensioner from that moment onwards (no back payments)

if you return for a short trip, you can get this for the period of your time in UK

if you leave UK afterwards, you'll get the rate frozen again if you live in a "frozen" country, but at what rate I do not know given the above two scenarios, logic says scenario one is different to scenario two

for Nun, the appeal against UK government's refusal to pay indexed linked pensions to people living in countries like Canada, Australia and South Africa, has run its course, the UK Government has won its case, full stop. Don't expect any change to the policy of pensioners living abroad.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice

[QUOTE=richard47;8942476]I am a retired pensioner, married and living here in Thailand, where my state pension is frozen!

Cheers for now.[/QUOT

Why would you expect to have your pension increased year after year if you spend no money here, no longer contribute to the country and don't pay tax here? I hope the answer is that you have to live permanently here to get the increase, and thereby contribute on an ongoing basis - we are going under here, don't make it worse!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

Why would you expect to have your pension increased year after year if you spend no money here, no longer contribute to the country and don't pay tax here? I hope the answer is that you have to live permanently here to get the increase, and thereby contribute on an ongoing basis - we are going under here, don't make it worse!
what piffle!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:08 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MNandMN;8943979]

Cheers for now.[/QUOT

Maybe cause he spent his entire working life paying in in the UK and now doesn't cost the UK anything in healthcare and long term housing
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:14 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MNandMN

Cheers for now.
BE Rule #1: If you screw up the quotes, you lose any semblance of having a clue about anything.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=MNandMN;8943979]
I am a retired So my question is this: How long would I have to stay in England to qualify for the uprated pension to be made permanent, before returning abroad .[/QUOT

MNandMN,
You have a cheek, assuming folks ourside UK pay no tax, Sorry to disillusion you! I probably pay more Tax than you do living there. my tax went UP when I left 4 years ago, That is why I am returning. I also buy, specail foods, which I have shipped, here, and I maintain a house there, on which I pay upkeep services, etc.,(redecorated, and new gas fittings, and shower installed) So, .Please - do not assume, Regards dontheturner

Last edited by dontheturner; Oct 26th 2010 at 1:11 pm. Reason: added header
Old Oct 26th 2010, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

richard47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for all your replies, most helpful some not so!

By the way, like a lot of folk who live abroad, I still pay UK tax and the money I save the government every year by not being there, is substantial.
If, and I emphasize if, the basic rate goes up to £140 then an awful lot of people will be returning. Maybe at that point the government will see some common sense!

I was told by the Pension Service that if I returned I would be paid the current rate of pension from day 1. You will not get the accumulated rate over the years you have been away.

Don. I look forward to hearing of your experiences in February.

Cheers for now.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks for all your replies, most helpful some not so!

By the way, like a lot of folk who live abroad, I still pay UK tax and the money I save the government every year by not being there, is substantial.
If, and I emphasize if, the basic rate goes up to £140 then an awful lot of people will be returning. Maybe at that point the government will see some common sense!

I was told by the Pension Service that if I returned I would be paid the current rate of pension from day 1. You will not get the accumulated rate over the years you have been away.

Don. I look forward to hearing of your experiences in February.

Cheers for now.
Richard, thanks for the reply, that's better than nothing, (but my comment, was for MNandMN). regards Don
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it from here, if you are already a pensioner you will remain on the existing arrangements. This will only apply to people retiring after 2015.

Cheers for now.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mbike
As I understand it from here, if you are already a pensioner you will remain on the existing arrangements. This will only apply to people retiring after 2015.
Is this more of the Daily Mail's news stirring?

They do have a habit of getting things hyped up, and wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.