Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

how long to give it before going back

how long to give it before going back

Old May 21st 2007, 4:48 pm
  #16  
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 86
JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

is it true that Australia is in a drought?
JohnStang is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:44 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by lisaloo
I was wondering how long people thought you should give living here in Oz before returning back to the UK. I have been here 16mths and the only thing keeping me going at the mo is saying to myself its not forever even though nobody knows about my plans in my head to go back, i dont even know...weird i know but this is me since moving here...I told myself to wake up positive this morning and push myself to be happier and make the most of my life here but again i have been unable to do so and feel low....

I suppose that it will be fired at me when I ask ........ Why Oh Why Did you leave the UK in the First Place ............... In order to "Up Sticks" and move from your Homeland you Have to possess Ambition, Determination, Confidence and a Strong desire to succeed in your new Home ......... you obviously never had these attributes so I would earnestly advise that you return from whence you came as soon as possible and hopefuly achieve the peace of mind you so desperately seek.............................
atfab is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:49 am
  #18  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by atfab
I suppose that it will be fired at me when I ask ........ Why Oh Why Did you leave the UK in the First Place ............... In order to "Up Sticks" and move from your Homeland you Have to possess Ambition, Determination, Confidence and a Strong desire to succeed in your new Home ......... you obviously never had these attributes so I would earnestly advise that you return from whence you came as soon as possible and hopefuly achieve the peace of mind you so desperately seek.............................
Most people leave the UK with all those attributes but the reality doesn't match the dream. It isn't always as easy to just 'return from whence you came' either.
northernbird is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:53 am
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 470
fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by atfab
I suppose that it will be fired at me when I ask ........ Why Oh Why Did you leave the UK in the First Place ............... In order to "Up Sticks" and move from your Homeland you Have to possess Ambition, Determination, Confidence and a Strong desire to succeed in your new Home ......... you obviously never had these attributes so I would earnestly advise that you return from whence you came as soon as possible and hopefuly achieve the peace of mind you so desperately seek.............................
That is rather insulting. Even if you have all these attributes, it doesn't mean you will stay or even want to stay. Every person is unique, you can't just tar them with the same brush.

I never moved to Canada thinking it would be forever, I set myself a possible limit of 3 years but if I wanted to go home at anytime I could. I didn't want to make Canada my permanent home, I just wanted to see what it was like to live in another country. I'm happy to return home knowing I've acheived what I set out to do.

Why is there a lack of understanding of how some people feel when they move away?
fishfinger is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:00 am
  #20  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by fishfinger
That is rather insulting. Even if you have all these attributes, it doesn't mean you will stay or even want to stay. Every person is unique, you can't just tar them with the same brush.

I never moved to Canada thinking it would be forever, I set myself a possible limit of 3 years but if I wanted to go home at anytime I could. I didn't want to make Canada my permanent home, I just wanted to see what it was like to live in another country. I'm happy to return home knowing I've acheived what I set out to do.

Why is there a lack of understanding of how some people feel when they move away?
I think a lot of people find it hard to read returnees slagging off the country they chose to move to. I understand that people miss their families and the familiarity of their home country but I find it hard to comprehend the need to slate a whole nation, their people, their way of life and culture in order to defend why you (royal you, not you personally) are chosing to move back to your home country.
northernbird is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:13 am
  #21  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by northernbird
Most people leave the UK with all those attributes but the reality doesn't match the dream. It isn't always as easy to just 'return from whence you came' either.

I must disagree ...... but not argue the point. The Attributes of Ambition, Determination, Confidence and a Strong desire to Succeed are not fantasy or dreams but cold hard facets of character ................ The aspirations or fulfilment of a plan could well be a Dream and I could well see were that could go awry and this is were the aforesaid attributes come into play ............... the "return from whence you came" could well be a sticking point and on this I will agree ........... but in all fairness this is but a consequence of the initial action.........................................
atfab is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:15 am
  #22  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by atfab
I must disagree ...... but not argue the point. The Attributes of Ambition, Determination, Confidence and a Strong desire to Succeed are not fantasy or dreams but cold hard facets of character ................ The aspirations or fulfilment of a plan could well be a Dream and I could well see were that could go awry and this is were the aforesaid attributes come into play ............... the "return from whence you came" could well be a sticking point and on this I will agree ........... but in all fairness this is but a consequence of the initial action.........................................
Well we will have to agree to disagree then. I would say that I have all those things but I have had a failed move and homesickness runs rings around you irrespective of your character.
northernbird is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:22 am
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by northernbird
Well we will have to agree to disagree then. I would say that I have all those things but I have had a failed move and homesickness runs rings around you irrespective of your character.

I understand northernbird and I am truly sorry that your aspirations did not come to a satisfactory fruition ........... I do sincerely hope that you will find the Peace of Mind you are seeking ................. I can only say that from my Standpoint ............... They did.....................................
atfab is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:28 am
  #24  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 470
fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by atfab
I understand northernbird and I am truly sorry that your aspirations did not come to a satisfactory fruition ........... I do sincerely hope that you will find the Peace of Mind you are seeking ................. I can only say that from my Standpoint ............... They did.....................................
I think that's why you find it hard to understand how it feels for other people
fishfinger is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:32 am
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I think that's why you find it hard to understand how it feels for other people


And is this Perhaps why I must make myself feel Guilty.......................
atfab is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:40 am
  #26  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 470
fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by atfab
And is this Perhaps why I must make myself feel Guilty.......................
Nope, I just think people post and lay themselves open on here, open up and share their feelings. It takes a lot to do that sometimes especially when you are probably feeling at your lowest point.

Lots of posters just come on this section of the forum to ridicule. Half of the things said on here probably wouldn't be said face to face, if you really saw how down somebody was. Just wish people would think about that. I'm probably guilty of that too sometimes.

Anyway, I'm off to watch Dancing with the stars! I might be in a minority but I love US TV Night, Night
fishfinger is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:50 am
  #27  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Nope, I just think people post and lay themselves open on here, open up and share their feelings. It takes a lot to do that sometimes especially when you are probably feeling at your lowest point.

Lots of posters just come on this section of the forum to ridicule. Half of the things said on here probably wouldn't be said face to face, if you really saw how down somebody was. Just wish people would think about that. I'm probably guilty of that too sometimes.

Anyway, I'm off to watch Dancing with the stars! I might be in a minority but I love US TV Night, Night
Nighty Night fishfinger ....... you are probably right ............... I'm just an old Grouch.......................................
atfab is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 3:03 am
  #28  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 470
fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by atfab
Nighty Night fishfinger ....... you are probably right ............... I'm just an old Grouch.......................................
I'm sending you some Karma! Bye, the TV is calling
fishfinger is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 3:06 am
  #29  
Never been to Australia
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Homeless
Posts: 495
kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by atfab
I suppose that it will be fired at me when I ask ........ Why Oh Why Did you leave the UK in the First Place ............... In order to "Up Sticks" and move from your Homeland you Have to possess Ambition, Determination, Confidence and a Strong desire to succeed in your new Home ......... you obviously never had these attributes so I would earnestly advise that you return from whence you came as soon as possible and hopefuly achieve the peace of mind you so desperately seek.............................
Instead of attacking a single poster on here with a load of old flannel, which is basically you just letting everyone know how great you are and if only they had your depth of personality they would have been fine, why don't you write an article for the immigrating section so all of those planning the move can be warned.

Kevin
kevinl is offline  
Old May 22nd 2007, 3:14 am
  #30  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
atfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really niceatfab is just really nice
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Originally Posted by kevinl
Instead of attacking a single poster on here with a load of old flannel, which is basically you just letting everyone know how great you are and if only they had your depth of personality they would have been fine, why don't you write an article for the immigrating section so all of those planning the move can be warned.

Kevin
Such Flair .. Such Panache .............. I need a Bigger Bucket........................
atfab is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.