Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

how long to give it before going back

how long to give it before going back

Old May 21st 2007, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

lisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud of
Default how long to give it before going back

I was wondering how long people thought you should give living here in Oz before returning back to the UK. I have been here 16mths and the only thing keeping me going at the mo is saying to myself its not forever even though nobody knows about my plans in my head to go back, i dont even know...weird i know but this is me since moving here...I told myself to wake up positive this morning and push myself to be happier and make the most of my life here but again i have been unable to do so and feel low....
Old May 21st 2007, 5:56 am
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: how long to give it before going back

Is it just yourself or have you a family out here? Have you discussed this with family? If it is that bad I would say dont put of the inevitable and go back now.
Old May 21st 2007, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

lisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud oflisaloo has much to be proud of

I am here with my partner and two kids aged 9 and 2yrs. They know that i have been quite low about being here for the past 9 weeks now but people say its time and it will pass..??.. My partner is unsure about the move but thinks we are better here, my son loves it here but also love the uk and my daughter doesnt know any different. I dont wish this upon anybody who has sold up and moved half way around the world with their heart in it...
Old May 21st 2007, 6:25 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Just remember one thing; you're not alone in the way you feel.

We've been here for 3 years and it's been very hard for me, and has been all the way through this. It's a constant battle between my head and my heart.

There is no set time limit on how long to give it. Some people know within the first couple of months that it will never work for them, others, well..it takes a little longer.

Is there any way you can hold on until citizenship? That way, if you end up going back to the UK, you'll always have a back up plan.

Keep your chin up.
Old May 21st 2007, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Yes i will hold on until i can get my citizenship is this still 2 years i have been here 16 months..
I will have to hold on until then anyway to try and get some money back, we have also just built our own house which i thought again would help but to be honest i feel like i'm in a hotel not in my own home...i sound crazy i know.
I have not let on to anybody back in the uk how i feel does anybody disagree with this.
Old May 21st 2007, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Its a really horrible feelin you are not alone as Tracey said, have you got anyone you can talk to about the way you feel? its ok on these forums but better face to face - where are you staying?

Kath
Old May 21st 2007, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisaloo
Yes i will hold on until i can get my citizenship is this still 2 years i have been here 16 months..
I will have to hold on until then anyway to try and get some money back, we have also just built our own house which i thought again would help but to be honest i feel like i'm in a hotel not in my own home...i sound crazy i know.
I have not let on to anybody back in the uk how i feel does anybody disagree with this.
Not crazy at all. We built a house in Perth that took 2.5 years to finish. We lived there for six months, felt the same way as you, and sold it and now live in a 54 yearold dump. Much, much better, but will probably still be heading back to the UK early next year.
Old May 21st 2007, 7:33 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisaloo

I think you'll be fine for the 2 year citizenship thing, so that's a goal for you.

As for telling people at home how you feel, well, I always talk to my Mum and Mum in law. They're always there to listen and give advice. It helps put things into perspective for me somehow. There isn't really anybody here that I can talk to. My mates are happy here and don't want to hear my whinging!
So, my Mums get it. Bless 'em.

Last edited by TraceyW; May 21st 2007 at 7:41 am.
Old May 21st 2007, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I think you'll be fine for the 2 year citizenship thing, so that's a goal for you.

As for telling people at home how you feel, well, I always talk to my Mum and Mum in law. They're always there to listen and give advice. It helps put things into perspective for me somehow. There isn't really anybody here that I can talk to. My mates are happy here and don't want to hear my whinging!
So, my Mums get it. Bless 'em.
Only drawback is you have to be here longer than 2 years for citizenship, so 2 years grows into 2.5 or 3 - unfortunately they dont hand them out straight away.
Old May 21st 2007, 11:53 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lil_ol_wine_drinker_me
Only drawback is you have to be here longer than 2 years for citizenship, so 2 years grows into 2.5 or 3 - unfortunately they dont hand them out straight away.
We have been here 16 months and are going back end of June. Did want to stay and get citizenship but then realised I only really wanted it so I would have something to show for all the money and stress.
My wife and youngest have never been settled and I could never really see us staying for ever. It was just a nice hobby and so to go back before i've run out of things to do/buy is not really that big a deal.
The deciding wasn't so hard, the practical bits to do with going back are harder. Coming out here most people are jealous and wish they could do it.
You are allowed to be excited and there is plenty of encouragement. Going back, the people here just can't understand, that yes its alright here but I'm not that bothered and I know we will be fine back home.
Another year just to have a spare passport, I would need at least a boat and a motorcrosser, not worth the expense.

Kevin
Old May 21st 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinl
We have been here 16 months and are going back end of June. Did want to stay and get citizenship but then realised I only really wanted it so I would have something to show for all the money and stress.
My wife and youngest have never been settled and I could never really see us staying for ever. It was just a nice hobby and so to go back before i've run out of things to do/buy is not really that big a deal.
The deciding wasn't so hard, the practical bits to do with going back are harder. Coming out here most people are jealous and wish they could do it.
You are allowed to be excited and there is plenty of encouragement. Going back, the people here just can't understand, that yes its alright here but I'm not that bothered and I know we will be fine back home.
Another year just to have a spare passport, I would need at least a boat and a motorcrosser, not worth the expense.

Kevin
I know exactly where you're coming from. We've only been here around 6 months and we have a hol booked for the UK in the next few weeks but there's a good chance that we may not return from that hol! I too would like to get citizenship but like you say, it may be only because I'll then feel like I've achieved something for making the move out here. We may never use the citizenship though. Its a tough decision and I've changed my mind about it a million times and I still cant come to a firm conclusion! lol
Old May 21st 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

username132 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read somewhere that Oz was rated the most desirable country to live in. What don't you like about it? Just miss the stuff you got used to that "feels like home"?
Old May 21st 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username132
I read somewhere that Oz was rated the most desirable country to live in. What don't you like about it? Just miss the stuff you got used to that "feels like home"?
Dont believe everything you read! lol.

For me personally its not really that I dont like it here as its a very nice country but it just doesn't feel like home to us and I'm not sure that it ever will, by that I dont mean that I want it to be like England as I knew it wasn't like that before I came here and I wouldn't want it to be, I just mean that without friends and family around it just isn't the same.

It is very nice over here but sometimes that just isn't enough.
Old May 21st 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafc
Dont believe everything you read! lol.

For me personally its not really that I dont like it here as its a very nice country but it just doesn't feel like home to us and I'm not sure that it ever will, by that I dont mean that I want it to be like England as I knew it wasn't like that before I came here and I wouldn't want it to be, I just mean that without friends and family around it just isn't the same.

It is very nice over here but sometimes that just isn't enough.
We give it 4 months (thought it would be longer) but hey who knew.
I love it here but unfortunately OH hasn't settled. He misses the security I think of the UK and also friends.
Beautiful country, lovely and pleasant people its just not for him.
Will see what the following weeks bring

Lynne
Old May 21st 2007, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Perth NOR will become famous soon enoughPerth NOR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kevinl

Kevin
We know how you all feel, were in the same boat. BUT WORSE!....''what do we do'' (thread)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.