View Poll Results: How Long In OZ Before You Decided It Wasn't For You?
6 Months Or Less
8
22.22%
6 Months To 1 Year
3
8.33%
1 Year To 3 Years
11
30.56%
3 Years Or More
14
38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

How long did you stay?

Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:49 am
  #16  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I think knowing yourself is really important. But we're, generally speaking, not very good at. Most people know what makes them happy in the short-term. And those are usually fairly shallow things - time at the pub, shopping, whatever. What makes for a deeper, lasting happiness can be really difficult to pin down. So it's usually glossed over.

It's taken some bloody hard work and real soul-searching on the part of Mr GG and I to work out that we want to be in the UK for the next few years. But we're already starting to think about the ping back to Aus; because we figure that the UK might not tick all the boxes all time. But going through the process is helping to make clearer what is important and what we do want long term. (At the moment it's going reasonably well - I'm just trying to bribe Mr GG into considering ooop north more seriously. )
Hi GG
Good post.
It is really true about knowing what will make you happy long term being difficult to pin down. It changes over time too. Whats good for you at one point in your life isnt in another stage.
When I moved here, it did tick all the boxes and I was happy. All the things here I thought would add to my happiness did, years later, some of them arent as important as they were. Ironically, on t'other side, I'm sure I'll miss some of those things again but you cant have the best of both worlds.
I know for deeper happiness & contentment moving from here is a postive step in the long run.
Certainly does make you take a good long look though.....at the end of the day though, its about enjoying where we are at a given time
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:02 am
  #17  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Interesting viewpoint, I always thought it would be the other way around ... as in if somebody craved a more 'rural' outlook then they'd be more likely to get a lifestyle like that (that was affordable) here, where the population is less dense.

It's certainly the case for me, I can't imagine having 3 acres in Kent ... yeh, the shops would be closer but at the end of the day that's not really a priority for me.

I can understand that people feel isolated and have a sense that there isn't much 'going on' ... it's probably the same reason Aussies move from the bush to Brisbane and Brisbane to Sydney.

It certainly takes diff'rent strokes to move the world and I'm glad that there is room for everyone and, more to the point, we have the freedom to be able to up-sticks and go to follow our 'dream'.
Hi Vim
Yes we r all lucky to be able to move around.

You can get a rural lifestyle here easily. I know what you mean about being able to have more space/land etc here, it was definately a pull for us - & a long veg growing season amongst other things.
Being surrounded by natural beauty is my idea of heaven. For me though, it seems to come at a price here where I have this lovely landscape & natural beauty around me but at a cost of not being stimulated in other ways - & I'm not talking about shops. Also, in UK (and NZ/Tasmania) I actually felt more part of the countryside around me as I walked every day over hills/through woods, fields etc. I'm not slating Oz here, but because its private land here and theres no public footpaths/right to roam etc, you look at it but dont get in it...I miss that. I know theres Nat. Parks n beaches for walking but I love being able to stop and walk up a track, into a wood etc both close n far from where I live. I REALLY miss walking in different places so much. When I say access to other places, I just mean being able to get in your car and drive within 30 mins or so and have the variety, choice & diversity you do in UK. Tis just different here on that front, ca tous..
Remeber going to Melbourne a couple of months back & I was so excited to be somewhere different, was buzzing, felt great
As you say though, ones mans meat n all that
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:27 am
  #18  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,133
Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi Vim
Yes we r all lucky to be able to move around.

You can get a rural lifestyle here easily. I know what you mean about being able to have more space/land etc here, it was definately a pull for us - & a long veg growing season amongst other things.
Being surrounded by natural beauty is my idea of heaven. For me though, it seems to come at a price here where I have this lovely landscape & natural beauty around me but at a cost of not being stimulated in other ways - & I'm not talking about shops. Also, in UK (and NZ/Tasmania) I actually felt more part of the countryside around me as I walked every day over hills/through woods, fields etc. I'm not slating Oz here, but because its private land here and theres no public footpaths/right to roam etc, you look at it but dont get in it...I miss that. I know theres Nat. Parks n beaches for walking but I love being able to stop and walk up a track, into a wood etc both close n far from where I live. I REALLY miss walking in different places so much. When I say access to other places, I just mean being able to get in your car and drive within 30 mins or so and have the variety, choice & diversity you do in UK. Tis just different here on that front, ca tous..
Remeber going to Melbourne a couple of months back & I was so excited to be somewhere different, was buzzing, felt great
As you say though, ones mans meat n all that
I hear you about the walking, I used to do a lot of that around the UK and I felt more 'connected' with the landscape.

I don't so much here and I've put it down to just 'feeling my way in' to the place, maybe it is something more fundamental than that but I can't say that I feel the sense of dislocation that others do.

As you say, there are National Parks but these are relatively isolated compared to the tracks around the UK.

I used to cycle a lot and it being relatively flat around here I am planning on getting back into that (was told to cut-down by the Doc to save my knees and never got back into it), maybe that will help me connect a bit more.

Talking of connections, I have found that getting into local community activities helps with the integration, joining a cricket club certainly did for me.

Not saying that it works for everyone but I just wonder sometimes if people isolate themselves by trying to find 'other Brits' (and searching out 'British' things to do, and ...yes ... whinging about the differences) and then they wonder why they don't feel accepted in their 'new' country.

I have seen it here with new arrivals and it is painful to watch them go through the process when I know what the ending will inevitably be.
Vim Fuego is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:48 am
  #19  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I hear you about the walking, I used to do a lot of that around the UK and I felt more 'connected' with the landscape.

I don't so much here and I've put it down to just 'feeling my way in' to the place, maybe it is something more fundamental than that but I can't say that I feel the sense of dislocation that others do.

As you say, there are National Parks but these are relatively isolated compared to the tracks around the UK.

I used to cycle a lot and it being relatively flat around here I am planning on getting back into that (was told to cut-down by the Doc to save my knees and never got back into it), maybe that will help me connect a bit more.

Talking of connections, I have found that getting into local community activities helps with the integration, joining a cricket club certainly did for me.

Not saying that it works for everyone but I just wonder sometimes if people isolate themselves by trying to find 'other Brits' (and searching out 'British' things to do, and ...yes ... whinging about the differences) and then they wonder why they don't feel accepted in their 'new' country.

I have seen it here with new arrivals and it is painful to watch them go through the process when I know what the ending will inevitably be.

Getting involved with the local community is definately a brill thing, and doing classes etc. Definately helps you feel part of where you live.
I'm going to REALLY miss where I live, great people here, really nice friendly community too.
The mixing with Brits - I used to find it quite bizarre how expats in France/Spain wherever all hung together - for me, that negates the point of moving abroad (unless you do want to replicate UK in the sun), it would undoubtedly not help you integrate if you mainly knocked about with other ex pats. However, in Sydney I did find my loveliest Oz chum there had lived in UK and we just understood each others humour etc. When I did find a few UK chums, after a good while, it really was like nectar.....in terms of humour etc. I just found in Sydney it alot harder to meet other like minds, didnt in Melbourne or where I now.
Whilst I'd never move to a different place & actively seek out a social network of expats, I do think it can help.
Out of interest, how long have you been out here?
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:42 am
  #20  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,133
Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Getting involved with the local community is definately a brill thing, and doing classes etc. Definately helps you feel part of where you live.
I'm going to REALLY miss where I live, great people here, really nice friendly community too.
The mixing with Brits - I used to find it quite bizarre how expats in France/Spain wherever all hung together - for me, that negates the point of moving abroad (unless you do want to replicate UK in the sun), it would undoubtedly not help you integrate if you mainly knocked about with other ex pats. However, in Sydney I did find my loveliest Oz chum there had lived in UK and we just understood each others humour etc. When I did find a few UK chums, after a good while, it really was like nectar.....in terms of humour etc. I just found in Sydney it alot harder to meet other like minds, didnt in Melbourne or where I now.
Whilst I'd never move to a different place & actively seek out a social network of expats, I do think it can help.
Out of interest, how long have you been out here?
I know a few Brits, one recently got Citizenship actually. It is nice to share some cultural reference points ... an occasional ancient Michael Barrymore joke, a serious discussion on the impact Bernard Manning had on contemporary society, that sort of thing.

But I find the Aussie sense of humour is not that different and they like the same sort of 'black humour' I do, a healthy disrespect for authority never harms things either.

I've been here 2 and a half years now (still counting the halves) and have an Aussie wife and daughter so it's a bloody good job I like it

Plus I have an extensive shorts and thong collection so there's no way I can go back the UK ... actually, something of a milestone, I've worn out one pair of shorts that I bought when I landed.

Maybe I should frame them ... maybe not.
Vim Fuego is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:11 am
  #21  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I know a few Brits, one recently got Citizenship actually. It is nice to share some cultural reference points ... an occasional ancient Michael Barrymore joke, a serious discussion on the impact Bernard Manning had on contemporary society, that sort of thing.

But I find the Aussie sense of humour is not that different and they like the same sort of 'black humour' I do, a healthy disrespect for authority never harms things either.

I've been here 2 and a half years now (still counting the halves) and have an Aussie wife and daughter so it's a bloody good job I like it

Plus I have an extensive shorts and thong collection so there's no way I can go back the UK ... actually, something of a milestone, I've worn out one pair of shorts that I bought when I landed.

Maybe I should frame them ... maybe not.
Haha, very good.
Tis very handy you like it isnt it!!!!
Thats really interesting about the humour. Maybe its just my type of humour thats weird but I find it really different, its more the pleasant exception than the rule for me to find shared humour. Ey, funny ol world int it.

I did find myself looking at my thongs all affectionately the other day - knowing they'd be soon put away in a cupboard for a long retirement, with only the odd outing now n then.
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:15 am
  #22  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,133
Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Haha, very good.
Tis very handy you like it isnt it!!!!
Thats really interesting about the humour. Maybe its just my type of humour thats weird but I find it really different, its more the pleasant exception than the rule for me to find shared humour. Ey, funny ol world int it.

I did find myself looking at my thongs all affectionately the other day - knowing they'd be soon put away in a cupboard for a long retirement, with only the odd outing now n then.
Humour is very personal, I have had some blank looks but I put it down to the intended recipient rather than me ... I could be wrong of course ... Had some great laughs at work and play though, all comes down to seeking out like-minded people again I guess.

Definitely keep the thongs, you can always whack up the central heating and pad around the house
Vim Fuego is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:24 am
  #23  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Back home :)
Posts: 1,706
birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Humour is very personal, I have had some blank looks but I put it down to the intended recipient rather than me ... I could be wrong of course ... Had some great laughs at work and play though, all comes down to seeking out like-minded people again I guess.

Definitely keep the thongs, you can always whack up the central heating and pad around the house
I put it done to others really tbh - arrogant of me or what
With friends its fine as I've found like minds. Its more the day to day in other situs, in general, even on the TV.

& it'll be Ugg boots not thongs.....I'm going to miss the warmth ALOT
birdynumnum is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:31 am
  #24  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 5,133
Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I put it done to others really tbh - arrogant of me or what
With friends its fine as I've found like minds. Its more the day to day in other situs, in general, even on the TV.

& it'll be Ugg boots not thongs.....I'm going to miss the warmth ALOT
The Aussie comedy on TV is pretty poor although I liked "Pizza" on SBS (ironically about minority groups).

"The Glass House" was just painful to watch and "The Chaser" has it's moments but mostly it's just 2nd rate dross. The 'sketch shows' are REALLY bad in my opinion ... like the worst school review you've ever seen.

Kath and Kim is OK, but I'd be stuggling to name one series past that ... actually I've seen repeats of The Games which I quite enjoyed but that was made a LONG time ago.

All comes down to budget and the fact the execs would rather spend dosh importing US dross.

But I'm not big on TV anyway, I can always get a laugh here or through my DVD collection ... and some stuff I've got safely squirrelled away on this here computer.

(edit) OK, another oldie "Frontline" was OK.
Vim Fuego is offline  
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:48 am
  #25  
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 395
mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default Re: How long did you stay?

I live in NZ.

I think the rot set in the moment I got the bus from auckland airport to auckland cbd. I just didn't get the buzz I was expecting. (Still nearly 8 years and im still here)

I know this sounds incredibly bad, but once I got my citizenship I was like : Great, now im leaving!

Go with your gut I say.
mingusdynasty is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.