View Poll Results: How Long In OZ Before You Decided It Wasn't For You?
6 Months Or Less
22.22%
6 Months To 1 Year
8.33%
1 Year To 3 Years
30.56%
3 Years Or More
38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

How long did you stay?

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:02 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long did you stay?

Just the first of a couple of polls for my interest's sake, feel free to ignore ...
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did you stay?

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Just the first of a couple of polls for my interest's sake, feel free to ignore ...
Been here 7 years come Sept 1st, with a 14 month ping back to UK.
Off back home in next month or so hopefully
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:35 am

gedge has disabled reputation

it'll be close to 5 years by the time we return i guess
is there a greater purpose to the thread VF?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:18 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with the poll but just a reminder that people return from other countries too. Or are you just focusing on those who are moving back from Aus?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:13 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Cant answer for OZ as I'm an aussie and I'm finally home and loving it but putting the shoe on the other foot and saying how long before leaving home and missing it - i would definately say 6 months or less

I think that would be the same whether its UK - OZ or OZ - UK or wherever - wherever.

I dont think this is an OZ question, its more global/local than that.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I've voted in the poll, would be interesting if we had another poll, how long after going back did you realise you had made a mistake? For me it was 4 weeks, even though I had been back for a holiday first to 'make sure;
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

umm. I was in Oz for 12 years, now been in Spain about 4. Think it's a rollercoaster, when I thought hey this isn't me, places grew on me or I met some great people which changed my mind.

But with the UK it was a couple of months being back when I decided it wasn't for me, but gave it another 18 months. I like it better now that I know I don't have to live their permantly and can live in another country and commute.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Sue
Nothing wrong with the poll but just a reminder that people return from other countries too. Or are you just focusing on those who are moving back from Aus?
Apologies for forgetting the other returnees, I was interested in the Oz guys and gals initially but other contributees welcome.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Cant answer for OZ as I'm an aussie and I'm finally home and loving it but putting the shoe on the other foot and saying how long before leaving home and missing it - i would definately say 6 months or less

I think that would be the same whether its UK - OZ or OZ - UK or wherever - wherever.

I dont think this is an OZ question, its more global/local than that.
I don't know about the global thing, I'd imagine that the country has a fair influence on how long a Brit will stay.

Is it fair to say that the people that stay for a lesser period of time are going back because of reasons that are more personal rather than specific problems with their chosen country of immigration?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by gedge
it'll be close to 5 years by the time we return i guess
is there a greater purpose to the thread VF?
I was just curious, having read so many posts from people that are returning:
1) How much effort did they put in to try and stay
2) How much thought had they put into their personal reasons for leaving in the first place
3) As has been previously brought-up, would it have made any difference which country they had left the UK for

I'm not casting judgement or anything else, just curious, I guess, as to whether people have been overly influenced by the 'mass media' (travel guides, 'anti-UK' articles in paper, etc) whilst not taking enough account of their own wishes ('know thyself' first).
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

I was just curious, having read so many posts from people that are returning:
1) How much effort did they put in to try and stay
2) How much thought had they put into their personal reasons for leaving in the first place
3) As has been previously brought-up, would it have made any difference which country they had left the UK for

I'm not casting judgement or anything else, just curious, I guess, as to whether people have been overly influenced by the 'mass media' (travel guides, 'anti-UK' articles in paper, etc) whilst not taking enough account of their own wishes ('know thyself' first).
Hi Vim...I nearly replied to a post of yours on another thread about utopia, UK in sun & escaping to another country to sort deeper problems, but didnt bother It sounded more flippant than you normally come across

In answer to the above...
The media didnt infuence my decision to move here. I spent some time here on holiday (not a good basis for a huge move either , we loved what we saw, went home, 2 years later moved here as a PR. Its funny, alot of the reasons I moved here are here, but their not enough to keep me here.
Having been here since 2000 with a ping back for just over a year, I'd call that a fair shot myself .
I really dont think people are going to take on the huge upheaval of migrating without giving it a hell of alot of thought. Sure the UK media does slate UK and our weather isnt the most idyllic, well its not if you're in a UK winter thinking of Oz sunshine.

I think a different country may well have made a difference - some of my reasons to leave are a pull to UK but that pull has definately been made stronger by my disliking certain aspects of here - sexism, isolation to name 2 - things that arent necessarily issues for me in other countries.
Having said the above, I also thing where you move to within Oz is hugely important, as is where you moved from.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi Vim...I nearly replied to a post of yours on another thread about utopia, UK in sun & escaping to another country to sort deeper problems, but didnt bother It sounded more flippant than you normally come across

In answer to the above...
The media didnt infuence my decision to move here. I spent some time here on holiday (not a good basis for a huge move either , we loved what we saw, went home, 2 years later moved here as a PR. Its funny, alot of the reasons I moved here are here, but their not enough to keep me here.
Having been here since 2000 with a ping back for just over a year, I'd call that a fair shot myself .
I really dont think people are going to take on the huge upheaval of migrating without giving it a hell of alot of thought. Sure the UK media does slate UK and our weather isnt the most idyllic, well its not if you're in a UK winter thinking of Oz sunshine.

I think a different country may well have made a difference - some of my reasons to leave are a pull to UK but that pull has definately been made stronger by my disliking certain aspects of here - sexism, isolation to name 2 - things that arent necessarily issues for me in other countries.
Having said the above, I also thing where you move to within Oz is hugely important, as is where you moved from.
Fair points, it IS a huge decision and people are putting in a lot of thought but I just wonder how much they think about themselves first and the other stuff (weather, etc) later.

The 'where you move to' also interested me in that if you have put all that thought and effort in then surely it is a tad crazy to stay in one place, decide you don't like it and then head back without sampling others?

Unless of course the problem isn't with the place.

But, hey, it's a free world and we are in the very lucky position to be able to chose where we want to live so on we go ...
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Fair points, it IS a huge decision and people are putting in a lot of thought but I just wonder how much they think about themselves first and the other stuff (weather, etc) later.

The 'where you move to' also interested me in that if you have put all that thought and effort in then surely it is a tad crazy to stay in one place, decide you don't like it and then head back without sampling others?

Unless of course the problem isn't with the place.

But, hey, it's a free world and we are in the very lucky position to be able to chose where we want to live so on we go ...
I know what you mean about not trying somewhere else. Unless someone really doesnt like it. On the flip side, I can see why people just decide its not for them and head back.
Personally, I'd live in Melbourne if I was a city girl, I love ittttt. (Wish it ws in Europe as I'm heading back)
I've found living in countryside Oz great for a while but having been used to the access to other places, like when I lived in UK countryside - thats something I do fnd really hard. I always thought I was easily pleased but after a couple of years in a smallish but really good place, I've found I crave 'other places' for a change. It feels like living in a very lovely but small bubble. What I'm trying to get at is eg/ if you like city living, chances are one of the cities here will, if like Oz, suit you.
If you dont like city living, I think you're options are alot more limited.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I know what you mean about not trying somewhere else. Unless someone really doesnt like it. On the flip side, I can see why people just decide its not for them and head back.
Personally, I'd live in Melbourne if I was a city girl, I love ittttt. (Wish it ws in Europe as I'm heading back)
I've found living in countryside Oz great for a while but having been used to the access to other places, like when I lived in UK countryside - thats something I do fnd really hard. I always thought I was easily pleased but after a couple of years in a smallish but really good place, I've found I crave 'other places' for a change. It feels like living in a very lovely but small bubble. What I'm trying to get at is eg/ if you like city living, chances are one of the cities here will, if like Oz, suit you.
If you dont like city living, I think you're options are alot more limited.
Interesting viewpoint, I always thought it would be the other way around ... as in if somebody craved a more 'rural' outlook then they'd be more likely to get a lifestyle like that (that was affordable) here, where the population is less dense.

It's certainly the case for me, I can't imagine having 3 acres in Kent ... yeh, the shops would be closer but at the end of the day that's not really a priority for me.

I can understand that people feel isolated and have a sense that there isn't much 'going on' ... it's probably the same reason Aussies move from the bush to Brisbane and Brisbane to Sydney.

It certainly takes diff'rent strokes to move the world and I'm glad that there is room for everyone and, more to the point, we have the freedom to be able to up-sticks and go to follow our 'dream'.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:29 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I think knowing yourself is really important. But we're, generally speaking, not very good at. Most people know what makes them happy in the short-term. And those are usually fairly shallow things - time at the pub, shopping, whatever. What makes for a deeper, lasting happiness can be really difficult to pin down. So it's usually glossed over.

It's taken some bloody hard work and real soul-searching on the part of Mr GG and I to work out that we want to be in the UK for the next few years. But we're already starting to think about the ping back to Aus; because we figure that the UK might not tick all the boxes all time. But going through the process is helping to make clearer what is important and what we do want long term. (At the moment it's going reasonably well - I'm just trying to bribe Mr GG into considering ooop north more seriously. )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.