How Long Did You Give It?

Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all
Default Re: How Long Did You Give It?

Originally Posted by NewCalgarian
As a kid I had great access to sport, music (I played Tenor Horn) and Arts - these things are available in England - it is one of the world's richest countries after all.
It's just a shame that many school playing fields have been sold off, phys ed is not pushed in schools and many of the sporting facilities are delapidated and falling into dis-repair.

Then if you do manage to find a decent leisure centre it's likely to be inhabited by chavs and smell of chips.

This weekend our kids will swim, skate and ski. Each venue is olympic standard (the swimming complex has two 50m pools), clean, efficient and chav/scum free.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
This weekend our kids will swim, skate and ski. Each venue is olympic standard (the swimming complex has two 50m pools), clean, efficient and chav/scum free.
Is it also free, that is, without admission charge ? The free facilities here, especially the pools, often surprise visitors.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is it also free, that is, without admission charge ? The free facilities here, especially the pools, often surprise visitors.
Yes and no.

There is no admission for the swimming but we pay for membership of the club which includes the coaching.

Skating (at the olympic oval - 400m ice track) is about $10 for the family. If we skated outside in the parks or at the plaza it would be free.

The lift pass for skiing is free for my grade 2 and discounted for my grade 5. The grade 2's "little Franz Klammers" costs a couple of hundred bucks for 12 weeks.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoD
Hi. I emigrated to Canada with my husband and daughter in June last year and have been talking lately about the possibility of going back home to the UK. I would like to give it another 18 months to say that we really gave it a good try, but am feeling very homesick and miss family so much.

How long did any of you guys give it before you seriously thought about going back to the UK?
Hi

I have been pretty homesick but have had Christmas back in the UK. At first it was great to be back to all that was familiar and to people that I had known for lots of years, but after 4 weeks here I am looking forward to our return to Australia as I know that I have made the right move. I think before you contemplate returning it could be wise to try and have a holiday, but an extended one if possible as I certainly feel different now to what I did after being here two weeks.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and no.

There is no admission for the swimming but we pay for membership of the club which includes the coaching.

Skating (at the olympic oval - 400m ice track) is about $10 for the family. If we skated outside in the parks or at the plaza it would be free.

The lift pass for skiing is free for my grade 2 and discounted for my grade 5. The grade 2's "little Franz Klammers" costs a couple of hundred bucks for 12 weeks.
Thanks. That's about the same as here, Toronto proper, but less than in the suburbs where they charge for everything.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:20 pm

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

It's just a shame that many school playing fields have been sold off, phys ed is not pushed in schools and many of the sporting facilities are delapidated and falling into dis-repair.

Then if you do manage to find a decent leisure centre it's likely to be inhabited by chavs and smell of chips.

Again that is your experience from the area of the UK you inhabited. Where I come from it isn't like that. It is very wrong to tar the whole of one country with the same brush just because your area of origin was less than ideal. My old school still has MASSIVE playing fields and the local sports facilities are excellent - sports were and are definitely pushed in my old school - my school even competed in "We are the Champions" with Ron Whatshisname when I was there. What was his name?
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mand8002
Hi

I have been pretty homesick but have had Christmas back in the UK. At first it was great to be back to all that was familiar and to people that I had known for lots of years, but after 4 weeks here I am looking forward to our return to Australia as I know that I have made the right move. I think before you contemplate returning it could be wise to try and have a holiday, but an extended one if possible as I certainly feel different now to what I did after being here two weeks.

yes, I agree but wonder sometimes your feeling that way coz you don't have your own place/stuff to go back to each night...sounds like you are staying with family or friends.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 2:49 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JoD
Hi. I emigrated to Canada with my husband and daughter in June last year and have been talking lately about the possibility of going back home to the UK. I would like to give it another 18 months to say that we really gave it a good try, but am feeling very homesick and miss family so much.

How long did any of you guys give it before you seriously thought about going back to the UK?
Two minutes after we took off for Oz ......no really, we gave it about 5 months but had to stay 16 months in total.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 4:09 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by janeyray
Two minutes after we took off for Oz ......no really, we gave it about 5 months but had to stay 16 months in total.
Hi Janeyray. So did you decide to go back home after the 5 months or did you stick it out for 16 then decide? Do you think you made the right decision? Did you go back to the UK for a visit before deciding?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:39 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JoD
Hi Janeyray. So did you decide to go back home after the 5 months or did you stick it out for 16 then decide? Do you think you made the right decision? Did you go back to the UK for a visit before deciding?

Thanks for your help.
To be honest I had already decided that Perth wasn't a permanent home for me, before we bought our house in OZ !!! I just thought, 'oh well, we can sell it' !!

We decided on a leaving date of June 2004 due to the fact the animals had to wait 7 months before we could return, to avoid quarantine. Thats why we stayed 16 months in all, not to see if we changed our minds. I knew nothing would have stopped me going back and nothing would have changed my mind. We didnt go back for a visit first, money was tight and I wouldn't have wanted to go back!
We definitely made the right decision, we have better jobs than we had before, more money, slightly (only slightly!) bigger house - although monster mortgage! and have a happier state of mind all round, especially me and my daughter. I don't carry a feeling around all day like I did in OZ, a feeling I can't explain but it felt like someone I was close to had died? If that makes sense?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoD
Yes it is very hard. I have found that here in Canada things aren't that much cheaper than back in the UK, with the exception of houses, petrol and electrical goods. Day to day stuff like groceries are about the same if not a touch more expensive. My husband's job is also lower paid than in the UK, and you definately need a car to get around.

We'll give it more time and have a trip back home sometime soon, see how we feel then. Good luck to all of you too. Thanks.
Hi I have some friends that moved to Oakville 2 yrs ago with their little boy, do you have much contact with UK people? would that help? they moved with two friends too who are also British. I could see if they could contact you for support, as far as I know they are really settled now. ff
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:41 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fishface
Hi I have some friends that moved to Oakville 2 yrs ago with their little boy, do you have much contact with UK people? would that help? they moved with two friends too who are also British. I could see if they could contact you for support, as far as I know they are really settled now. ff
Thanks, that's very kind of you, but I do know some British people here in Oakville (thanks to this site!). A the end of the day I really really miss home and family and friends. I want my parents to see and spend time with their granddaughter and to go out to the local pub with my mates and have a laugh. I think there's a very good chance we'll be heading home this year.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think this holds at all. I write as a rootless cosmopolitan. Two of my children will soon graduate from Canadian universities. One intends to work in Switzerland, one intends to take a masters in the US. I don't feel attached to Canada, nor to the UK, and they, being polyglot, are less attached to anywhere than I am. We see not belonging to somewhere as the opportunity to live anywhere.
Good for you; I'm glad you don't have these hangups. However, I don't think that is the norm, and my point holds very well for a lot of people posting here.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

fishface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoD
Thanks, that's very kind of you, but I do know some British people here in Oakville (thanks to this site!). A the end of the day I really really miss home and family and friends. I want my parents to see and spend time with their granddaughter and to go out to the local pub with my mates and have a laugh. I think there's a very good chance we'll be heading home this year.
I wish you lots of luck whatever you choose homesickness is hard. we lived in oz for 8 months and have been back 8 months and are planning to go back now!! we missed lots of things and people, however now home again realise how silly we were to not try harder and things back here friends and family didn't fill the gap we thought they would. it took for us to come back to finally see the light!! expensive and hassled way to do it though.