How Long Did You Give It?

Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:51 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all
Default How Long Did You Give It?

Hi. I emigrated to Canada with my husband and daughter in June last year and have been talking lately about the possibility of going back home to the UK. I would like to give it another 18 months to say that we really gave it a good try, but am feeling very homesick and miss family so much.

How long did any of you guys give it before you seriously thought about going back to the UK?
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:02 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How Long Did You Give It?

Originally Posted by JoD
Hi. I emigrated to Canada with my husband and daughter in June last year and have been talking lately about the possibility of going back home to the UK. I would like to give it another 18 months to say that we really gave it a good try, but am feeling very homesick and miss family so much.

How long did any of you guys give it before you seriously thought about going back to the UK?

hiya I've served 4 yrs next month and I think I've had my fill ...I'll have to make a decision soon, limbo land is not a nice place to be...good luck
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

I've served 4 years in March. I realised pretty soon it wasn't for me, however, I have read alot of posts (esp those who are in Oz and NZ) where the country has grown on them over time and they decided to stay in the end. In fact, when I think of it, I think it's true to say that the majority of people who go back to the UK and then say oops big mistake, are usually from Oz/NZ rather than the US. Now, why can than be, let me think...
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:14 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoD
Hi.

About three weeks!!!! Since then it's just been a case of nose to the grindstone, get on with it and do my best to settle!

We will deffinately give it until the end of this year. We will have out citizenship then so that free's us up a lot.

Hard decision isn't it? Harder than deciding to move out there in the first place I reckon. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:36 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoD

17 years before I went back first time.

5 years this time (hopefully back this summer).

So, not exactly the best person to give advice, but if I were to do it all over again, I'd say at least a year and probably two before I'd decide I had made a mistake and wanted to put all that time, effort, and money into going back.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:05 am
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Hard decision isn't it? Harder than deciding to move out there in the first place I reckon.
Yes it is very hard. I have found that here in Canada things aren't that much cheaper than back in the UK, with the exception of houses, petrol and electrical goods. Day to day stuff like groceries are about the same if not a touch more expensive. My husband's job is also lower paid than in the UK, and you definately need a car to get around.

We'll give it more time and have a trip back home sometime soon, see how we feel then. Good luck to all of you too. Thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:06 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoD

Sounds like your in the "one year blues". The initial excitment is over and you
haven't been ither long enough to feel a part of the place. Give it 18 months more and if you feel the same consider comming back. I went through a similar period of adjustment and now I've been in the US for 18 years. However, I'm close to my limit and I'll be moving back to the UK in a couple of years time
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I knew from the get go that life over here was not for me, our 3 year anniversary came up last June, Hubby came home from work that night and said can we start makeing plans to return Home, and he's the American, I felt like we had just won the lottery That dreaded weight had lifted off my shoulders and we could now start talking of when we are going home, the light's at the end of the tunnel, so in all it will be 5 year's, that's long enough.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:01 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lizzi
I've served 4 years in March. I realised pretty soon it wasn't for me, however, I have read alot of posts (esp those who are in Oz and NZ) where the country has grown on them over time and they decided to stay in the end. In fact, when I think of it, I think it's true to say that the majority of people who go back to the UK and then say oops big mistake, are usually from Oz/NZ rather than the US. Now, why can than be, let me think...
Hey Lizzi you sound like me and I agree with your post.....seems the ozzie folk have got it together karma to you my friend
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:15 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Two and a half years now and, though I've never had a problem with living here in the US, like BritVic, my American Hubster has decided that he's had it up to the eyeballs with living in the States and he was the one who made the decision for us to move to the UK, (which, of course, I'm not unhappy about)!

I'll certainly miss this place but will be more than happy to show him around when we go back to look for a place to live next month.

His final day at work is Friday - two days to go til he has to spend all his time with me!!!
Old Jan 5th 2006, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JoD

Hi,
We have been in Canada (Ontario), approaching 3 years now. The first year I became really depressed. The second year I became more accepting to perhaps give it a little more time. This year..we acknowledge it makes sense to get citizenship and move on. In all the time I have been in Canada I have been unemployed, and have been in the ridiculous scenario of having to return 'home' to earn money..800 pound per week in U.K. as opposed to zero in Canada due to the regulatory crap.
Spouse was initially happy the first year, became less so the second, maybe that was because I was so unhappy, however this last year he says he's had enough and does not want to stay.
Neither of us regret coming to Canada, as it has been a major learning curve and we have both come to realise in our own way and time span that the U.K. is indeed a great country.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Canada since Sept 2004 and so far it's not given us what we were looking for. For my Canadian wife it was a return home after living in the UK for nearly five years and yet she finds herself missing England. We were enticed here mainly by the temptation of owning a house outright without a mortgage (which we now have) but it's still a struggle to make ends meet with a low income and none of the associated benefits that some of the better jobs attract. We are digging into the remainder of our savings while we try to figure out our next move. Back to England and the associated problem of expensive housing or a move within Canada. There are pros and cons to each country of course but living here still doesn't feel right.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 11:27 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

From reading many posts here about expats all over the world, the norm is around 2 years.

It has taken me nearly two years to settle back into my native England after 7 years in Oz
Old Jan 5th 2006, 12:27 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoD

I would give it more time. You are right in the timeframe of when homesickness and culture shock usually hit people who have left their normal surroundings the hardest. Though not everyone experiences it, it is a normal response to a major change in ones life. Give the following a read (there are some good coping strategies there):

http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/CGuanipa/cultshok.htm

About 6 months into my expat experience, all I could do was think of jumping onto a plane to get back. It's a horrible feeling and you definitely have my sympathy but it is normal and it does get better. Take care.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Sounds like your in the "one year blues". The initial excitment is over and you
haven't been ither long enough to feel a part of the place. Give it 18 months more and if you feel the same consider comming back. I went through a similar period of adjustment and now I've been in the US for 18 years. However, I'm close to my limit and I'll be moving back to the UK in a couple of years time
Yes, I think there's a honeymoon period - you get a new home, new job, explore the area, discover new places, start new hobbies, make friends, enjoy the new climate - and then once the novelty wears off and you realise that you still have to work the 9-5 and pay the bills it all becomes a bit routine! Your new friends aren't yet trusted friends and you yearn for a bit of familiarity from your old life.

I would definately give it at least 12 more months. Your feelings may never change but I think 6 months is a bit premature to make a decision, (and you have said you are prepared to stay longer).

We moved back after 18 months away and even tho there were a lot of things that I was glad to leave behind, I do feel our departure was premature (although I don't regret our decision to return - when I was 6 months pregnant and have baby in UK.) Saying that, I don't know how long it would have taken to feel 100% settled in Oz. My husband really missed his family and was quite homesick. Since being back in the UK (and starting our own family), he hardly sees his family and is confident that he could live far away from them in future. So in that respect, I think it took a return to the UK to make him realise that he could overcome being separated from his family, and if we had stayed overseas those feelings would never have otherwise gone away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.