Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How long did it take for you to want to retuurn?

How long did it take for you to want to retuurn?

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jess5377 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long did it take for you to want to retuurn?

We've only been in the States since Feb and I'm ready to go back to London. The worst part about this is I'm the American half of the couple! My dh feels the same way, but we did already buy a house here so thinking we should try and stick it out at least another 6 months to see if we feel the same. Honestly though if we didn't have this house we would have gone back already. I thought the beginning stages were the honeymoon phase, but that only lasted about a month or 2 for us. How long did you give it before you decided enough is enough?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take for you to want to retuurn?

It's a hard question to answer, because I really think the answer will be different for everyone and depends on your circumstances.

As a rough rule, I might suggest that you need to give it a minimum of 3 years before you really know if a country if right for you or not, but as I said everyone is different.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Cornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to behold

3 days in the hovel known as Perth, WA and I realised I wanted to leave.
Decided to stick it out but 4.5 months down the line I'd had enough, life's too short if you don't like it start planning to leave now.
There's no point being unhappy, don't let anyone else tell you different
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:06 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jess5377
We've only been in the States since Feb and I'm ready to go back to London.
Where in the US?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

we're in FL which I hate, but b/c dh's work is licensed we needed to be here for our connections of family and friends. His UK license basically means nothing here and b/c we knew people in his business he did get a job rather quickly. That in itself is part of the problem- he doesn't like his work here, he says the US is backwards, and he made 4 x as much in the UK. I personally hate FL and always have since I was born and raised here, but moving elsewhere (another state) isn't really an option due to the licensing issue. DH doesn't want to go back to college either to become licensed here as he hates it that much.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

oh and and I should say we really moved b/c dh really wanted to try life in the US. When we were in the UK we came here 2-3 times per yr so he thought he would like it. I was okay with it as it meant I could be around my family for a while...
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:05 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Okay well i have been in Canada now since December 06 so a year and a half now. The first time i said to myself i want to go home was in Febuary 2008 but now it's June 2008 and i am not feeling the same anymore i want to stay at least for a little while. Don't get me wrong i have been on and off every month since Febuary "I want to go"/"i don't want to go".

The reality is i love england and where i grew up, who i grew up with but when i start to think about the 200,000 house on the exact same 30,000+ grand a year. which i make out here with a house of 100,000 it's financially not viable for me to go back. I will be doubling my mortgage without making any more money. so what's the point? At least here i have a fair amount of spending money and i don't have to worry about gas prices right now. If i lived in england that's what i would be doing. But mine always was a financial decision rather than an adventure. It depends on why you came and what you became so to speak.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

We've only been in the States since Feb and I'm ready to go back to London. The worst part about this is I'm the American half of the couple! My dh feels the same way, but we did already buy a house here so thinking we should try and stick it out at least another 6 months to see if we feel the same. Honestly though if we didn't have this house we would have gone back already. I thought the beginning stages were the honeymoon phase, but that only lasted about a month or 2 for us. How long did you give it before you decided enough is enough?
I really enjoyed it here in the US for the first two years. Then about a 18months ago I got married and have noticed that my priorities have changed. I have become more and more about family than I have ever been and I don't seem to be as focused on work. Still I love the career I'm in and love the work I do, it's just that now it's not the driving force in my life.

Since that time I have missed some milestone birthdays of family back in the UK and those phone calls really made me realise I was missing out on what I wanted.

Since then it's been as others have said on and off again with the pining to go home.

If my wife and I were in the position of you and your husband, we would have been off like a shot. You're lucky in the sense of having one passport from each country so your aren't burning and bridges by leaving. Even more so as you say your husband would be earning more in the UK.

I would say, do it. What do you have to lose? Put the house on the market asap and when you sell it, go.

Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

oh and and I should say we really moved b/c dh really wanted to try life in the US. When we were in the UK we came here 2-3 times per yr so he thought he would like it. I was okay with it as it meant I could be around my family for a while...
It's funny how the thing you might love about somewhere visiting a couple of times a year or the great vibe you get about a place, can be ruined by actually 'livin' the dream!'. It wears thin after a while...
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:16 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jess

We're in a very similar situation to you but in Australia. Been here since end of January, I'm the (half) Australian one and we have bought a house.

It all just feel wrong here and we have just had the house valued to go on the market. Also, we have to wait 7 months whilst our dogs are rabies jabbed and tested but if we didn't have these committments we would fly home tomorrow!

I knew after a month but we had already committed to buying by then
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Hi Jess

We're in a very similar situation to you but in Australia. Been here since end of January, I'm the (half) Australian one and we have bought a house.

It all just feel wrong here and we have just had the house valued to go on the market. Also, we have to wait 7 months whilst our dogs are rabies jabbed and tested but if we didn't have these committments we would fly home tomorrow!

I knew after a month but we had already committed to buying by then
We did the same, by the time we realized we wanted to go back we had already put down so much on the house and signed the papers so it was too late to back out. Uhh! Life, I guess!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:51 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same, by the time we realized we wanted to go back we had already put down so much on the house and signed the papers so it was too late to back out. Uhh! Life, I guess!
'Act in haste, repent at leisure'-something parents say that we all ignore!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cornelius Wankstaffe
3 days in the hovel known as Perth, WA and I realised I wanted to leave.
Decided to stick it out but 4.5 months down the line I'd had enough, life's too short if you don't like it start planning to leave now.
There's no point being unhappy, don't let anyone else tell you different
Hey, how's life in London?? was it a good move?

Anyway, back to the question, i knew i wanted to go back home a week after we got here. But MIL had alot to do with it (who we were staying with) she is a dragon
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

3 months. As soon as my visa had expired and we were going through AOS, I wanted to go home.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Cornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to beholdCornelius Wankstaffe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hey, how's life in London?? was it a good move?

Anyway, back to the question, i knew i wanted to go back home a week after we got here. But MIL had alot to do with it (who we were staying with) she is a dragon
Hello down there. It wasn't my first choice originally but the missus and work kinda made me do it! Saying that, life in London is good, I'm earning almost double what I was in Perth, there's plenty to do, nice people (haven't been mugged/stabbed etc) the summer's here and I'm an hour or so Easyjet flight away from many European cities (or 7 hours from New York!)
How is ur escape plan going? Have you sold the house yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.