Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How Long to Buy a Car in UK?

How Long to Buy a Car in UK?

Old Sep 25th 2014, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Long to Buy a Car in UK?

Hopefully this is not a dumb question.

Trying to work out how long to rent a car in UK while we find a car to buy. We will be looking at a new or near new Fiesta. I dont think that it will be that difficult to find something that will work.

So how long will it take to arrange insurance and whatever else needs to be done? ie if we spot the right car on the forecourt of a dealer, no need to obtain financing, how long before we can be driving the car?

Many thanks in advance
Old Sep 25th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Long to Buy a Car in UK?

Originally Posted by Wombat7
Hopefully this is not a dumb question.

Trying to work out how long to rent a car in UK while we find a car to buy. We will be looking at a new or near new Fiesta. I dont think that it will be that difficult to find something that will work.

So how long will it take to arrange insurance and whatever else needs to be done? ie if we spot the right car on the forecourt of a dealer, no need to obtain financing, how long before we can be driving the car?

Many thanks in advance
A new car usually comes with tax for either 6 months or a year as part of the sales deal (and from October 1st no tax discs are needed - it will all be online) and most will offer 7 days insurance so you can drive it away and then arrange insurance - which can be done online fairly instantaneously. Sometimes getting your overseas NCB acknowledged might require an actual call to an insurance company but there really is no problems buying a new (or nearly new) car and driving it away on the same day - I did
Old Sep 25th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a one year old fiesta from a dealer. Paid cash for it and they provide you with one weeks free insurance through Ford so you can pretty much drive it off the lot if they have the personnel available that day to do a inspection and get the road tax sorted. If its a weekend though when you find one you will be waiting until Monday.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant! Just the info that I need. Looks like car rental will be a short one.

Okay, follow-up q if it is permitted. If garage says they want x for it, how much room is there for negotiation? Again, looking at a Fiesta, so not a high end car, I know.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

They don't seem to be as flexible as in the UK but you can usually get a few hundred off. Also watch their website. For me I had seen one on the lot that I was considering and a few days later I went to the website and it had been reduced. When I went back to the lot it hadn't been reduced on the sticker but they had to give it to me for the web price.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks I73
Also, is the price quoted pre masses of add-ons?

Here there are extras for things such as pre-delivery inspection, which annoys me because it is a way of quoting a false lower price, rather like an airlie ticket of x but you have to also pay fuel surcharge, landing fees etc etc
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sticker price includes everything except road tax but my car is zero road tax so it was fine.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great. You got the Ztec eco boost? Any thoughts on the car, because that is what I have in mind
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

I got them to round down to the nearest 1000 and 1 years car tax - or I should say my sister did who went with me - never knew she was so good a barterer!! You never know unless you ask but don't expect great chunks to be knocked off - still may get something though. I think it helped I was paying with cash - and buying towards the end of the month - I think the salesman wanted my sale to add to his commission
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, we will be buying at the beginning of the month - next week, so will view anything we can get off as a bonus.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I got the ztec Eco boost. It's a good little run around car and great on petrol. I'm used to bigger cars and SUVs with all the bells and whistles so it's been an adjustment. But with petrol so expensive I'm happy with her.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am used to a 2006 Ford Focus, so this will be fine for me
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

we rented a car for two weeks and that was ample time to find a car (automatic) locally and obtain insurance. I obtained my claims history from my Canadian insurer and also my driving abstract from Govt of Ab and both were helpful in getting a better deal on the insurance.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

It has just occurred to me that we need to find somewhere permanent to live before we buy. So will rent a car for two weeks and hopefully that should be long enough to find a rental and then buy a car
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to buy a near new car that has already suffered the initial major depreciation, you will still have plenty of warranty and will be able to do some good deals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.