Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to justify the money you've lost...

How to justify the money you've lost...

Old May 15th 2008, 5:22 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to justify the money you've lost...

Originally Posted by kez81
hubby wants to stay another 2 he thinks it will take that long to save up enough money he mentioned last night jan 2010 aarh seems so far away but i suppose we are just about in the middle of 2008 already!!!
every day where i am seems like a week, every week a month, every month a year...

I might start marking off the days one by one on the toilet wall...
Old May 15th 2008, 5:27 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoolsB
every day where i am seems like a week, every week a month, every month a year...

I might start marking off the days one by one on the toilet wall...
Yeh i feel that too my youngest is teething and isnt sleeping too well im so shattered if i was at home my mum would take her for a night to give me a break no such luxury here, i miss my old life so much!!
Old May 15th 2008, 1:36 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisas
You're both right I know, it just pees me off when family feel they can say what they want without realising how it affects you. She was also going on about how prices are going up in the UK for everything and how one product she buys has gone up 40p in a week. Yet when she visited here she complained how expensive Oz was and that she couldn't survive on her UK pension here. She's just trying to make me see that the UK is crap by implying that everything will become as expensive in the UK as it is here. So one of the plus points we have for returning won't be a plus point anymore!

I just have to remember that my mother is only happy when she has something to moan about. It's just at the moment I guess it is my return that is the focus of that.

My mum tried it with me - she told me that a new block of apartments in our town were wholly inhabited by immigrants who were hassling the locals into swapping their shopping vouchers for cash. I was a bit worried until I returned and realised that it was complete and utter fabrication. We haven't seen any immigrants and certainly no hassles by anyone of any nationality.

She did the same with work - told us that all the Polish had taken the brickies jobs. Well guess what? Hubby was back working a week after we landed and earning far more than he ever did in Oz.

I just don't know why people can't let others make up their own minds about their own lives
Old May 16th 2008, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

I just wanted to let you know about the 'failure' thing. We were worried what people said about us, but I got an email this morning saying: "We are all waiting with baited breath to hear that you have managed to sell the house and are on your way home" Aww I came over all mushy after reading that. I remember why they were my mates now and why I miss them so much . I feel sorry for anyone who dares to say to any of our friends or rellies that we've failed.

BUT we have both said that we needed the time-out from civilisation to get our heads together and work out what we wanted from life and where we wanted to go from here. It just wasn't possible back then, we were far too busy but hadn't realised it.

It wont be as bad as you think.

Jo
Old May 16th 2008, 5:12 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kizbut1
I just wanted to let you know about the 'failure' thing. We were worried what people said about us, but I got an email this morning saying: "We are all waiting with baited breath to hear that you have managed to sell the house and are on your way home" Aww I came over all mushy after reading that. I remember why they were my mates now and why I miss them so much . I feel sorry for anyone who dares to say to any of our friends or rellies that we've failed.

BUT we have both said that we needed the time-out from civilisation to get our heads together and work out what we wanted from life and where we wanted to go from here. It just wasn't possible back then, we were far too busy but hadn't realised it.

Jo
Noone "fails" in my opinion. I think that they "grow".
Old May 16th 2008, 5:17 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Jo
Thx Jo I know what you mean when you say you needed the time out. I feel that way too. The one thing this move has given me is the time to mull things over & realise that I didn't need such a huge life change after all-just a few adjustments to the one I had. Shame I had to come so far to acknowledge this tho!
Old May 16th 2008, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoolsB
My OH points out quite rightly that we'll have lost a fair bit of dosh if we move back to UK & have no jobs to go back to, property we could afford wouldn't be as nice or in as good an area as before etc

Also whilst I would happily scarper back tail between legs willing to make a fresh start having realized grass isn't greener etc he would feel like he'd failed and that everyone was laughing at us

I guess this is the case with most returnees. How have you all come to terms with these feelings?
Jools.....we have been here nearly 11 years and we have had some good times....never felt like home but we have tried...from what I have learnt in all this time is....big homes don't always bring happiness.....the best job....is not all it's cracked up to be if your not happy.....we had a much smaller home in the U.K....smaller Car.....nice jobs...and great friends and family....we just did not realise all this back then ofcourse...you sometimes have to go out the square etc etc...BUT...you need to know whats important to you both....if friends at home and family for that matter are not being supportive so what!!! your not doing it for them but for you....if you don't feel like you could live in a "bad" area then that's normal but if you have to while you find your feet it will not be forever...you just have t sit down with each other and find out what is important to you....if we all had a magic wand and we could have EVERYTHING we would like to have back at home I think there would be 1000's returning to the U.K life is not like that...your partner should not feel liked he's failed.....he tried it and has more than likely gained experience from it all.......after 11 years of trying and going round in circles we have decided home is where our hearts are....we have a lovely home here....good jobs, nice car etc.....and if we have to have less at home that's fine because all that we have here still does not make us happy......take care and good luck
Old May 16th 2008, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
My mum tried it with me - she told me that a new block of apartments in our town were wholly inhabited by immigrants who were hassling the locals into swapping their shopping vouchers for cash. I was a bit worried until I returned and realised that it was complete and utter fabrication. We haven't seen any immigrants and certainly no hassles by anyone of any nationality.

She did the same with work - told us that all the Polish had taken the brickies jobs. Well guess what? Hubby was back working a week after we landed and earning far more than he ever did in Oz.

I just don't know why people can't let others make up their own minds about their own lives
To true...we have had great support from our families except my Dad, I am sure it's only because he will miss his holidays in Perth, were he gets waited on hand and foot, hardly spends a dime.....etc etc that might sound horrible but he had the chance to retire here and guess what/ he did'nt...wonder why...I think a nearly 80 he finds it a bit "quiet" but great for a couple of months holiday a year.....we went home on our first visit 3 years ago and was exspecting to "spot the British" so to speak...we found that where we live in Perth there are more multi-cultural people than anywhere we have ever lived!!!! all this info about finding work, migrants (Polish) etc was given to us by "friends" here in Aus...(none of whom have been back to the U.K in years) 99% of them read the "daily's" on line every morning....say no more......work...most of our family are in "trade" and all are working and earning lots.......to much work my brother says (he is a Manager for a large U.K Electircal Company)all this doom and gloom really gets my goat!!!!!
Old May 16th 2008, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kez81
Yeh i feel that too my youngest is teething and isnt sleeping too well im so shattered if i was at home my mum would take her for a night to give me a break no such luxury here, i miss my old life so much!!
Oh and I have missed out on my brothers "Babies" nephew and neices "Babies"...I cannot wait to be back and help with Babysitting!!!!...mine were 5 & 8 When we arrived here in Perth.......I would of hated being here without my sisters, in-laws and Parents around to guide and help me.....chin up before you know it they are grown (gulp)!!! that's what family told me at the time but I did not believe them...now our boys are 14 & 17 (gulp) but still my babies.......ooorrrr and time has flown by......wish though we would of gone home sooner.....our boys have missed out on certain things and visa versa...never mind home this year fingers crossed....
Old May 17th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Jo
Hi Jo

How has it gone this weekend any viewers? We are just over a week away from being on the market now and I have just been on the realestate website and there are about 25 on the market in my area but none of them the same as mine really.

I have everything crossed you sold this weekend.

best of luck nicola
Old May 21st 2008, 5:54 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Jools,

I'm gonna say what I always say ( and bore those who've read it a hundred times ) but - you may have lost money coming here, but money is ALWAYS replacable.
Life experience, real happiness and good health are not.

If you need to take the financial hit to get back most of the above wherever they may be - then do it. You'll re-coupe over time in so many other ways. It's only money. Don't waste time being unhappy.

*pearly* x
Old May 21st 2008, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

Hi Nicola

Not a sniff last weekend. We had someone view yesterday and said the house was perfect, just what they were looking for and they'd be in touch today, and guess what? Nothing, not a peep, nada

We have open house later this weekend, at 11.30 so maybe people will be out of bed by then?

Jo

Originally Posted by nicola411
Hi Jo

How has it gone this weekend any viewers? We are just over a week away from being on the market now and I have just been on the realestate website and there are about 25 on the market in my area but none of them the same as mine really.

I have everything crossed you sold this weekend.

best of luck nicola
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Jools,

I'm gonna say what I always say ( and bore those who've read it a hundred times ) but - you may have lost money coming here, but money is ALWAYS replacable.
Life experience, real happiness and good health are not.

If you need to take the financial hit to get back most of the above wherever they may be - then do it. You'll re-coupe over time in so many other ways. It's only money. Don't waste time being unhappy.

*pearly* x
How true...it may come to that for us if we do not sell our home but the price of happiness is much more important for us.
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Nicola

Not a sniff last weekend. We had someone view yesterday and said the house was perfect, just what they were looking for and they'd be in touch today, and guess what? Nothing, not a peep, nada

We have open house later this weekend, at 11.30 so maybe people will be out of bed by then?

Jo
Good luck Jo with your home open.....11.00am should be fine...here in Perth people are up walking etc early but in bed by 9.00pm!!!!!
All the best
Old May 22nd 2008, 1:53 am
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by brits1
How true...it may come to that for us if we do not sell our home but the price of happiness is much more important for us.
Agreed-I just hope others in my life can come around to my way of thinking & not dwell on the $$$$ aspect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.