Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to get NI number in UK?

How to get NI number in UK?

Old May 6th 2003, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

sbasak is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face How to get NI number in UK?

Can anyone tell me how a foreigner working in UK get National Insurance number? Is he supposed to apply for it himself or it is the responisibility of the employer to provide NI number to its employees?

Thanx
Old May 6th 2003, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

It is your responsibility to get your NI number. When I did it 7 years ago, got mine at the local DSS office.
Old May 7th 2003, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

sbasak is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks but what is DSS anyway?
Old May 7th 2003, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Department of social security
Old May 7th 2003, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Interested
Department of social security
Every Asylum Seeker know's this one DSS, sorry could'nt resist it, but it's true all 999.998 of them ...
Old May 7th 2003, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

megawho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Every Asylum Seeker know's this one DSS, sorry could'nt resist it, but it's true all 999.998 of them ...

a cheap jibe....
Old May 9th 2003, 4:14 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to get NI number in UK?

Originally posted by sbasak
Can anyone tell me how a foreigner working in UK get National Insurance number? Is he supposed to apply for it himself or it is the responisibility of the employer to provide NI number to its employees?

Thanx
check out your local yellow pages for nearest DSS office. Or try.

www.dwp.gov.uk
Old May 13th 2003, 3:26 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Thanx

If I remember rightly - when I applied for an NI number when I had just left school in Britain, I got the forms from my local Post office -filled them out, sent them off and had a NI card/Number sent back.

Ask in your local Post office in the UK.

Cheers
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 12:40 am
Merlot

I was told by DWP in the UK on 29th July 2003 to go to the Jobcentre Plus office on return to the UK.

Thanx

Old Aug 4th 2003, 7:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx
My husband (as USC) working legally in the UK was responsible for getting his own NI no. As part of the application process, he had to have an interivew (and bring hard copies of documents to prove he was eligible for an NI number). He rang to schedule one and it was something like six months from the date he called. This was back in 2001 for the East London/City office.

In the end, he didn't need to go for the interview for some reason...

NC Penguin