Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to get credit rating in UK...whilst elsewhere!

How to get credit rating in UK...whilst elsewhere!

Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get credit rating in UK...whilst elsewhere!

More information.... http://www.britishinformation.com/secured-credit-card/

Last edited by USAGypsies; Feb 10th 2009 at 1:10 am.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 6:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Fortunately kept a UK Building Society account and whilst over there a few weeks ago, attempted to open new account with same Bld Soc. and (apart from unbelievably useless level of service) was knocked back from internet banking account due to not having any credit rating.

We're looking at going back permanantly to the UK and are terrified that we'd get back there and have no way of getting a rental/mortgage/insurance/utilities etc because we lack any 'trail' of credit. Apparently, Visa or other credit cards don't 'talk' to other countries to let them know you have 25 years of unblemished ability to repay debt!

Has anyone experience in this area? Are there any truly international banks which we could use to circumvent being left homeless bums in the UK?
Get yourself on the electoral roll somewhere as soon as you get back, even if it is a relatives address. This is one of the key things that is on your credit file, no electoral roll, no credit.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
Get yourself on the electoral roll somewhere as soon as you get back, even if it is a relatives address. This is one of the key things that is on your credit file, no electoral roll, no credit.
Very very true. Since we have been back we have 0 credit rating. We applied on-line to see for ourselves and the score was 'high risk' lol...even though we were excellent payers in both UK and OZ. Makes you sick really, but that's just the way it is if you spend along time away.
Anyway, we have applied to be on the electoral roll, applied for credit cards which have been accepted.
So i will spend as much as i can on the cards and pay them off straight away, building up the credit rating.
I have also had to pay 6 months up front plus deposit for our rental as we had no credit rating, but that was fine with us as we preferred to do that.
We can't get finance at the mo for vehicles (i can pay cash if i want) but would prefer to keep my cash for a bigger deposit on a house.
We will get there in the end!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of

Use this link to register on your local electoral roll:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=758777
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:45 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Does a UK bank account, savings account and (rarely used) credit card count towards a credit rating while you're away? Or does it only start with the electoral roll?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Does a UK bank account, savings account and (rarely used) credit card count towards a credit rating while you're away? Or does it only start with the electoral roll?
I think so. I kept my UK bank account and CC card after moving to the US in '96. I recently applied to M&S for a CC and was accepted. I have had no problem getting connected with gas and electricity. Although I haven't applied for any loans or credit...I don't know if this was what you were wanting.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:53 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think so. I kept my UK bank account and CC card after moving to the US in '96. I recently applied to M&S for a CC and was accepted. I have had no problem getting connected with gas and electricity. Although I haven't applied for any loans or credit...I don't know if this was what you were wanting.
Yes, thanks. Thats what I hoped/expected
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Yes, thanks. Thats what I hoped/expected
The key is to have an address. I had just bought a house when I applied for a new CC. I had to provide a letter from my solicitor showing that I had purchased the property.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

The key is to have an address. I had just bought a house when I applied for a new CC. I had to provide a letter from my solicitor showing that I had purchased the property.
However in my experience of moving back and renting, I couldn't even get a 15 quid a month mobile phone until I was on the electoral roll.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

However in my experience of moving back and renting, I couldn't even get a 15 quid a month mobile phone until I was on the electoral roll.
Did you keep your UK bank account and CC open while you lived in Oz?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:08 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Did you keep your UK bank account and CC open while you lived in Oz?
Yes, it was when we returned from Canada and we had used the account in the 4 years we were there for endowments and pensions etc. We were turned down for everything until we got on the electoral roll. This was 4 years ago now but I can't imagine they have got any more lenient, in fact I envisage that the checks would be more stringent now given the global financial crisis.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, it was when we returned from Canada and we had used the account in the 4 years we were there for endowments and pensions etc. We were turned down for everything until we got on the electoral roll. This was 4 years ago now but I can't imagine they have got any more lenient, in fact I envisage that the checks would be more stringent now given the global financial crisis.
Maybe it was because I am a home owner not a renter...I don't know...but I haven't had a problem.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:12 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Maybe it was because I am a home owner not a renter...I don't know...but I haven't had a problem.
I would imagine that is the reason.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

just had a look at the link for registering on electoral roll for uk.seeing as we have been in oz for 17 years we cant register to vote as it is 15 years that is the cut off point.:curse:been informed that as soon as we arrive, we should register and will be on it within a month.asked about being able to get phone/internet?electric put on and she said that they would give us a letter to prove we were on register.f@#k what a bloody carry on.hubby should have thought of going back sooner me thinks!!!
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:53 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
just had a look at the link for registering on electoral roll for uk.seeing as we have been in oz for 17 years we cant register to vote as it is 15 years that is the cut off point.:curse:been informed that as soon as we arrive, we should register and will be on it within a month.asked about being able to get phone/internet?electric put on and she said that they would give us a letter to prove we were on register.f@#k what a bloody carry on.hubby should have thought of going back sooner me thinks!!!
It is a carry on. Pain in the hole.
I rang the local council, filled a form in and we were added to the electoral roll.
As for mobile phones, we couldn't get one on contract until we had prove of address and utility bills. Then we had to pay £300 extra as we had no credit rating. All pay out, nightmare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.