Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to find a place to rent

How to find a place to rent

Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Isabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really nice
Default How to find a place to rent

We are flying out next Sunday and will be staying with family until we find a place to rent in Cardiff. I have been looking on Rightmove but I am now totally overwhelmed and do not know how to go about renting a place. I have emailed a few of the listing agents asking for more info but never hear back

Should we go to a big estate agent like Darlows and tell them we are looking for a place to rent in such and such area? or should we try and make appointments ourselves to view certain properties? And if we go to Darlows (or some other such place), do they charge the renter or is that part of the landlord's fee to the estate agent?

Basically, I have no idea where to start. So any help would be appreciated!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:25 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find a place to rent

If you've seen a property advertised on Rightmove, you should contact the agent listed.

I don't quite understand you. I'm not sure who you are thinking of contacting to make an appointment if it isn't the agent.

A letting agent shouldn't charge you just to view a property. But, if a property is let through an agent, then the agent's admin fees will be included in your rent.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Isabella17
We are flying out next Sunday and will be staying with family until we find a place to rent in Cardiff. I have been looking on Rightmove but I am now totally overwhelmed and do not know how to go about renting a place. I have emailed a few of the listing agents asking for more info but never hear back

Should we go to a big estate agent like Darlows and tell them we are looking for a place to rent in such and such area? or should we try and make appointments ourselves to view certain properties? And if we go to Darlows (or some other such place), do they charge the renter or is that part of the landlord's fee to the estate agent?

Estate Agents have ignored my emails as well, however they have been very helpful when I have contacted them directly.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

chazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nice

I dont think they take email seriously, you should telephone explain your circumstances and deal with a named person
Old Jul 21st 2012, 12:29 am
Just Joined

jenny heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

i would look on gumtree for private landlord, much cheaper
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isabella17

Hi,

We looked at rentals online while we were overseas and in all honesty I was glad we did not rent that way as when we arrived back home (we stayed with my Dad) and then had a good look around at areas....then called into local estate agents in the areas we had liked and let them know what we wanted in a rental and had a general chat with them etc....we found quite a few rentals to choose from that way and at the same time could look more into an area etc...Good look....try not to stress to much and just try and take each day as it comes other wise you can get "swamped" with..."We have to do this, sort that, go there" etc just do things like that when you need to. All the best on your return.