Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

is this how the dream was always going to end?

Wikiposts

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is this how the dream was always going to end?

Chris oh words fail me, really feel for you and all you're going through You're such a lovely guy. Be strong, you will be ok.
Niki X
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Awww Chris, I was so hoping you would be happy and fully comfortable with your decision by now. Hopefully by verbalising the dream stops it playing mind games with you. Once you get back you will have to be strong and get your lives back on track asap without 24/7 help/advice/interference from the relatives. Once you get sorted as a family then let the rest of them back in otherwise I think you will be suffocated.

You're doing this for Jules and the kids, that doesn't make you a hero, it makes you a bloody good husband and father but don't lose sight of YOU. You matter just as much.

Take care and you know where I am.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:27 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

You're doing this for Jules and the kids, that doesn't make you a hero, it makes you a bloody good husband and father but don't lose sight of YOU. You matter just as much.
That's so very true. Well put Pen.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Gedge

Like your family we also live on the GC. My husband loves it and we have been here for just under 2 years now. I have disliked it from around week 2. We also have two kids in primary school and I am lonely and unhappy. My hubby was and still is desperate to stay. I have stayed a year longer than I wanted to try and keep my hubby happy too.

What I am trying to say is that in alot of families and marriages there are compromises one has to make. I personally couldnt live here for the rest of my life and my hub knows this. But I think by staying two years he knows I have given it a good go and I have tried to think of his feelings as well as my own.

WE are now in the process of selling up and heading home and even though I couldnt be happier he is still gutted we are going back to the UK. I do still feel guilt and sadness about ripping him away from his dream but when we got married we decided it was for keeps and I just cant do it here forever.

Sorry if this has no relevance but I just wanted you to know you are not on your own.

best wishes
nicola
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:58 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedge
it's not long now before we return

homesickness, the usual culprit plus pressure from my wife's family
i can't deny the need for more support with our two little kids

so we pack up, say our goodbyes and prepare to leave

the trouble is i keep having this reoccurring dream
we arrive at the inlaws, everyone is happy and joyfull welcoming us back "home"
bit by bit my life disappears inside that house... cases, wife, kids...
i can't follow, i can't move

is this where i turn and walk away? my future seems so uncertain
I can see what you mean by needing support for your kids im finding very diffcult at times having the kids here and no family it breaks my heart to be honest i remember going to my nans playing with my cousins etc and i feel like my kids are missing out on all that!!

It will be diffcult at first when you return but seeing your wife truly happy will keep you content when i was back at xmas i felt so alive me and hubby never argued once in the 5 weeks we argue alot here but i think because we were getting time to ourselves it really helped.

we are looking to returning in 2 years want to get some money saved before we go back my hubby said last night he'd be quite happy to do this which is a huge turn around for him he was adment he wasnt going back home before but who knows what the future will bring im living day to day rather than planning ahead!!

Good luck to you and your family Gedge xx
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:56 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Thank you all. I hoped to reply individually, I didn't expect so many thoughful and caring replies. I guess dreams no longer matter when reality hits.

It's time now for me to hold everything together.
We'll get through this.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thank you all. I hoped to reply individually, I didn't expect so many thoughful and caring replies. I guess dreams no longer matter when reality hits.

We'll get through this.
Come on C, think positive. You'll be fine. You will get through it. You are strong
All you need is each other, doesn't matter where you live, you got each other.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:11 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

We'll get through this.
You will Chris, you will get through it, I know it.

Look after yourself too my friend

Kx
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:26 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

We'll get through this.
Hey Chris, you WILL get through this. You have family that love you, many people have no-one. Please believe me when I say, I know how hard it is when you have to do something you don't want to do. Again, I wish you all the luck in the world. I sense your desperation mate, hang in there, your wife and children are worth it and so are you.

((((Big hugs))))xx
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We'll get through this.
You will hold it together...I know you will....it's surprising where you get the strength from when you have to. You're such a nice guy...your family are very lucky. All the very best.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

All the best for your return. My OH didnt wanna come back but he has been so good and is now settling in himself, infact he is happier to be back than i thought he would and getting himself a bit of a social life, maybe if you widen your activities once back it might help you.

Good luck and keep strong (even though its blimmin hard and sometimes you dont wanna have to be the strong one).....

Kath
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:44 am
Just Joined

casa mia is an unknown quantity at this point

Why dont you give yourselves a little more time! Life opens roads for us and the decisions we make obviously have an affect on the rest of our lives , if you have doubts talk with your wife and see if she will give it another year and then see how you both feel. Good luck.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

All I am reading on here is how you are being a hero and how grateful your family should be etc. Just be sure that what they really want is you being in a place you don't really want to and living a life you don't really want. And good luck!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:28 am

gedge has disabled reputation

my father passed away yesterday
it puts my worries in to perspective
don't fear tomorrow, live for today
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

livinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of lightlivinginwa is a glorious beacon of light

keep some cash on the side, and get back as soon as you can. youwill quickly realise what lifestlye you are passing on.

Might seem hard, I lived on the GC for a couple of years, had everything at my feet, we went home due to various reasons looking back what a mistake.

couldnt replace what we had in UK. family and friends werent the same, what I wanted and expected didnt suit anymore,

I hope it all fits for you, and life goes on, dont think of Australia as a bad place though, like some on here.

it's not long now before we return

homesickness, the usual culprit plus pressure from my wife's family
i can't deny the need for more support with our two little kids

so we pack up, say our goodbyes and prepare to leave

the trouble is i keep having this reoccurring dream
we arrive at the inlaws, everyone is happy and joyfull welcoming us back "home"
bit by bit my life disappears inside that house... cases, wife, kids...
i can't follow, i can't move

is this where i turn and walk away? my future seems so uncertain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.