Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How do you know when it's time to go back to uk ?

How do you know when it's time to go back to uk ?

Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of
Default How do you know when it's time to go back to uk ?

Looking for advice / shared experience from anyone who has gone back to the UK after 15 years overseas.

What was it like settling back & trying to find a job ?
Did you try & find a job from overseas first ?
How did you find dealing with uk weather again ?
How did you know it was to go back ?
What is the deal with claiming benefits & NHS care when you have been away so long ?

I have been away since 26, living & working in both Australia & NZ. Hence little work experience up in UK. Originally I only had a work permit for 2 years in NZ but one thing led to another - next thing I had married a NZer. To date I have really enjoyed the aus & NZ lifestyle and weather as I am a very outdoorsy person although the past 5 years or so I have felt increasingly more lonely & isolated and generally getting a bit "over" hanging out with other people's families - friends' and my in-laws.

The past 6 months though I have had some real jolts to the system which have made me think a lot more seriously about returning to the UK, where all my immediate family still live.
Firsly I was seriously ill and hospitalised in January with blood clots in my lungs after a return flight from the UK. If the clots had been any bigger I would have died. The recovery took 2 months and I realised how crap it was to be on the other side of the world from family (it was down to my husband at that time to look after me although a few friends did offer support). I am waiting to get blood tests done shortly to find out if I have any Pre-disposition to clotting. Feeling extremely anxious about this as my risk of getting clots again is already higher as (just) over 40 and already had one episode of clotting.
More recently my sister's boyfriend has been posted to Afghanistan and my Grandma diagnosed with cancer. I am really feeling the distance to the UK and already decided a couple of years back that I would try & visit more regularly every 18 months or so.

All of the above have made me think as to how it would be if one of my parents were ill (dad already not the greatest of health - had a couple of strokes) and I guess my illness & the fact I almost died, have made me think life is short.

My biggest concern about returning would be finding work given the last time I worked in the UK was 1998 !! Definitely would want to minimise unemployment period but coud be flexible on where to live (ie would locate to where could find work if necessary).

Interested in hearing how anyone else got on making a decision to return and how they got on when they did.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you know when it's time to go back to uk ?

It all depends on why you really want to leave. Is you husband coming with you? are there any kids involved?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of

No kids. Husband would prob come too although we have not had a serious discussion on it.

Main reason would be for health reasons (ie : if they do find I have a Pre-disposition to blood clotting & with my history, then psychologically I would struggle with living on the other side of the world from my family and would probably worry a lot anout toing long haul flights) AND also to spend more time with my family before its too late (eg: never had an adult relationship with my kid sister, getting to know my nieces & nephews better rather than showing up for a few days every couple of years etc)

However I am worried that I would find it very difficult to adjust to Uk culture $ weather again (weather was big plus of initial move as I used to get SEasonally affected depression in winter due to lack of daylight)
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you take a look at The Rovers Return and Back Home sections on this site?

Loads of information from people as to when/why/how they returned to the UK.

With the benefits thing, once you have permanent residency then you can apply for benefits. Depending on your circumstances will determine if you are eligible for anything.

Since you have been out of the UK for 14 years (?) you will need to top up your contributions towards your State pension at retirement age.

Once you are permanently resident you will be eligible for the NHS.

Unemployment in the UK is still quite high so unless you have some specific skills expect to be in competition with the rest of the unemployed for jobs.

Weather in the UK for May/June has been terrible!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 1:44 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

With the benefits thing, once you have permanent residency then you can apply for benefits. Depending on your circumstances will determine if you are eligible for anything.

Since you have been out of the UK for 14 years (?) you will need to top up your contributions towards your State pension at retirement age.

Once you are permanently resident you will be eligible for the NHS.

Unemployment in the UK is still quite high so unless you have some specific skills expect to be in competition with the rest of the unemployed for jobs.
If the OP is a UK citizen and they return to the UK with the intention to stay permanently then they qualify for the NHS and benefits the moment they arrive in the UK.

I'd also recommend the OP get an NI forecast before they return. If they haven't been making Voluntary NI while abroad they can decide if it's worth making some back contributions before they come back to the UK.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP - I'm heading back to the UK after 15 years in the States. It just felt like the right time to move even though everyone over here thinks I'm crazy as I make a pretty good living being an actress only working about 4 or 5 days a year!!!! Although auditioning IS a full-time job. 5 days a week 9-5.

The weather is shit. Deal with it. We all know it. I've never heard Pacific Northwest people bitch and moan about the weather even though they pretty much get as much rain as England. I sometimes feel that the Brits will never be happy with their weather. When it's hot they complain it's too hot and they need the rain. When it rains....well you get my point.

I understand about S.A.D, my Mum used to get that when we lived there but she's actually looking forward to moving back. I think the best thing to do would be to book a "sun holiday" during february (the bleakest month) somewhere close by, cheap but sunny (Greece?) At least you can "top up" on your vitamin D!!

As for your health and family - understand completely. I had some serious surgery since being in the US and so has my husband (heart for me, brain for him) and now his father and stepmum both have cancer (back in the UK) That's pretty much pushed our plans forward but I have definitely been feeling the desire to move back for quite some time.

I say speak to your husband and see what he says. His family is all in NZ so that might be an issue but it seems to me that men don't mind as much as women living away from family. That's just my opinion.......

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:48 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Hi Dumbledore, We are also moving back after 14 years in Spain for some of the same reasons as you. Parents getting older etc. Also we have 2 young kids and I just think it would be better for them to be nearer their cousins and grandparents. I dont know where you are considering moving to but we are off to yorkshire as thats where my wife is from. We also have friends who have moved from Spain to the same town. I have also applied for a job there and hopefully will get an interview soon.I just want to say good luck and I hope it all sorts itself out as im sure it will. We just kind of woke up one day and realised it was time to go. I have loved my time in Spain and wouldnt change it for anything but its not my country and never will be.

Good Luck

Andy
Old Jul 1st 2012, 11:32 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

If it turns out that you're at high risk of clotting, they'll probably tell you never to take a long haul flight again, so that's got to factor into your decision. Looked at logically, your dh will be able to fly from the UK to visit his friends and family, but you won't be able to fly from NZ to visit yours.

There are ways of dealing with SADD. Use the special lights, take vitamin D and as suggested, a holiday in the sun at least once in the winter.

Like most things, nothing's ideal but a balance of pros and cons.

Bev
Old Jul 1st 2012, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
If it turns out that you're at high risk of clotting, they'll probably tell you never to take a long haul flight again, so that's got to factor into your decision. Looked at logically, your dh will be able to fly from the UK to visit his friends and family, but you won't be able to fly from NZ to visit yours.

There are ways of dealing with SADD. Use the special lights, take vitamin D and as suggested, a holiday in the sun at least once in the winter.

Like most things, nothing's ideal but a balance of pros and cons.

Bev
I disagree...if you are at a high risk of blood clots your doctor can give you an injection before you travel to prevent it. My MIL has DVT and has been taking Warfarin for approx 20 years...but if she flies long haul the doctor gives her the injection.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for comments to date. I have been on warfarin the past 6 months since getting ill. My understanding is there are prescription blood thinners that can be taken before long haul flights to help prevent a blood clot occurring again but by no means 100% guaranteed.
Getting pulmonary embolis in both my lungs gave me a real nasty fright - really struggled to breathe; thought I was having a heart attack; never been in so much pain before - I feel quite scared about ever having to go through it again.

I should also mention that my grandfather died of blood clots in his lungs although caused by pneumonia & not long haul flight !!!

Last edited by Dumbledore; Jul 1st 2012 at 12:20 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbledore
Thanks everyone for comments to date. I have been on warfarin the past 6 months since getting ill. My understanding is there are prescription blood thinners that can be taken before long haul flights to help prevent a blood clot occurring again but by no means 100% guaranteed.
Getting pulmonary embolis in both my lungs gave me a real nasty fright - really struggled to breathe; thought I was having a heart attack; never been in so much pain before - I feel quite scared about ever having to go through it again.

I should also mention that my grandfather died of blood clots in his lungs although caused by pneumonia & not long haul flight !!!
I don't know what the injection is but it is obviously different from usual meds for blood thinners. My MIL has this for long haul flights as well as taking Warfarin...she also walks up and down the aisle regularly and does the foot exercises during the flight. When I book her flight I tell the airline about her condition and they book her a bulkhead seat with more legroom. One of her legs is badly swollen due to DVT.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:53 am
Just Joined

edoriel is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't worry about blood clotting. It's highly manageable and the only real danger to it is perhaps not knowing you have it, which you now do.
My dad had pulmonary embolism about 15 years ago after being in bed with flu for 3 weeks, and it was found he too has a disposition for clotting, which might mean I do too. He was in hospital for 2 weeks but has been on warfarin ever since with no further problems. He's 78 now, lives in the UK and regularly flies long haul enjoying his retirement with mum. He's been to New Zealand, Sri Lanka, the States, Caribbean, Asia all while spending the last few years spending my inheritance. He flies long haul at least twice a year. As I said he's on warfarin, and on flights wears DVT socks and makes sure he moves around every hour when awake. With those precautions his risk of DVT is actually less than the general population according to his consultant.

Once managed, blood clotting is not a big problem at all so I wouldn't worry about it happening again now you are aware of it, although I fully understand how scary your hospital visit was.
I understand wanting to go home to be closer to family but I wouldn't see the blood clot risk itself as something to suggest a return home as it really shouldn't affect your ability to fly longhaul.

BTW they are now thinking that aspirin does just as good a thinning job as warfarin and without the longterm side effects of warfarin and cheaper. Worth asking your doc about.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:41 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dumbeldore and CBANDY so glad I read this post today, I am so down in the dumps over the same questions. Been gone 12 years, he wants to go back, now we have told family and close friends I am feeling the opposite even more.

So I thought I'd come on good ole BE to cheer myself up When you figure out the answers let me know!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the weather, it has been between 95 and 100 back in New York for seemingly weeks now. It reminds me that every summer I basically hibernated until things cooled down - no trips out, no walks, no nothing.

Now that we're back in the UK, we can go out and enjoy things. I can work in the garden because it's not too hot. We can go for long walks. We never lie awake at night too uncomfortable to get to sleep. Yes it rains a lot, but that's why God made raincoats and umbrellas

I thought that lack of sunlight might get me down but it hasn't at all. Instead I'm just happy to be somewhere with a climate I can stand. And the grey days make the sunny ones all the more appreciated
Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by welshviking
Hey Dumbeldore and CBANDY so glad I read this post today, I am so down in the dumps over the same questions. Been gone 12 years, he wants to go back, now we have told family and close friends I am feeling the opposite even more.

So I thought I'd come on good ole BE to cheer myself up When you figure out the answers let me know!
and where the hell have you been young lady?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.