Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

10 Years in Canada and yearning for the UK

10 Years in Canada and yearning for the UK

Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice
Default 10 Years in Canada and yearning for the UK

I have been living her in canada coming up to 10 years now first Ontario and now Calgary, probably 8 years of that, i have wanted to go back home to Wales, there has been no making that true friend here, there are no come on ins for a cup of tea, I have missed my family /friends for years and it has not got any better' if not worse, i pray for the day, we have enough money to return back to the lovely Green Green Grass of Home (tom jones was right)and "yes the rain", Hubby is Canadian, my son went to wales for a holiday 3 years ago and never came back, His whole outlook to life just changed, before he was practically a recluse, and very unsure of friends, he could not get his life to fit into Skates/Skies/ Hockey only thing that appealed to him was going out on the lakes in a canoe 'alone' he was born to play rugby?
we had great plans for our family but it turned out nothing like i thought, I have aged 10 years since living here' and health is going down the shitte shoot, i have problems that usualy a 65 year old person complains about' i am 47 years old, i got to be honest Canada has Done me In" cooked my head" i cant wait to get home. everythings up in the air right now, im not 100% sure how hubby feels,im torn i think,
my Mum has just been diagnosed with cancer, that makes me want to get home even sooner.
But we are in limbo here, dont know how to make the start, how much shipping will cost, how do i stand with getting my hubby into u.k, he is very qualified, but what are is chances of work at 56 years old. do i apply for residency first for him, or a working visa ? Do i go home and he apply from Canada or is it best for him to apply in u.k, what the quickest and easiest.
Now i wish i never came here, but thats hearsay i guess, I am proud of myself for up and making the move in the first place(new life 'new hubby and possible good education for my son, its been an upward struggle here, and to live in calgary you have got to have money, as it is hubby works practically 24/7 so we hardly have time for ourselves, Ho my thats how miserable i am.
I am used to family get togethers on Sunday where one family would do the Sunday roast, "and 10 years on nothing has changed in my family" its just got bigger and closer as everyone ages, Here you barely talk to you neighbour, everyone keeps to themselves, i think you could be dead in your home for days and no one would know,People say its so friendly here' i have a difficult time with that, and what they base that on. Believe me when i came to canada i came full of beens, inviting everyone around and being life and soul of any party, full of life!! its one of the reasons my hubby fell in Love with me, but now i feel that life has bean sucked dry living here.
Also i am always cold, the place is freezing, when i get home i can not wait to stand in the Rain
Laulaloubell
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I going Mad!!!

Originally Posted by lalaloubell
.............dont know how to make the start, how much shipping will cost, how do i stand with getting my hubby into u.k, he is very qualified, but what are is chances of work at 56 years old. do i apply for residency first for him, or a working visa ? Do i go home and he apply from Canada or is it best for him to apply in u.k, what the quickest and easiest...........Laulaloubell
Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time.

If you go to www.uk-yankee.com you'll find a lot of useful information about moving to the UK, including how to apply for a spousal visa for your husband. It is obviously aimed at Americans, but the basic process is the same.

As for the likelihood of your husband finding employment - what is his field? (btw, as far as I know YOU will have to find employment and a place of abode first, before he can move over......... but check the information on the above site for details.)

www.fool.co.uk is another useful site for information about the UK, especially the various discussion boards.

HTH and good luck

PS: For future reference: it is better to start a new thread rather than tagging on to someone else's if you are starting a new topic. I'll see if one of the Moderators could do this for you.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:14 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

PS: For future reference: it is better to start a new thread rather than tagging on to someone else's if you are starting a new topic. I'll see if one of the Moderators could do this for you.
I've moved it.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:31 am
Just Joined

KRUSADR has a spectacular aura aboutKRUSADR has a spectacular aura aboutKRUSADR has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 10 Years in Canada and yearning for the UK

lalaloubell,

Iam in the same boat. I've been in Calgary for ten years. I have had enough! As soon as I pay my bit of debt off iam off!!

Good luck to you.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
As for the likelihood of your husband finding employment - what is his field? (btw, as far as I know YOU will have to find employment and a place of abode first, before he can move over......... but check the information on the above site for details.)
That is not necessarily true. Many people sponsor for spouse visas while still resident overseas.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have been living her in canada coming up to 10 years now first Ontario and now Calgary, probably 8 years of that, i have wanted to go back home to Wales, there has been no making that true friend here, there are no come on ins for a cup of tea, I have missed my family /friends for years and it has not got any better' if not worse, i pray for the day, we have enough money to return back to the lovely Green Green Grass of Home (tom jones was right)and "yes the rain", Hubby is Canadian, my son went to wales for a holiday 3 years ago and never came back, His whole outlook to life just changed, before he was practically a recluse, and very unsure of friends, he could not get his life to fit into Skates/Skies/ Hockey only thing that appealed to him was going out on the lakes in a canoe 'alone' he was born to play rugby?
we had great plans for our family but it turned out nothing like i thought, I have aged 10 years since living here' and health is going down the shitte shoot, i have problems that usualy a 65 year old person complains about' i am 47 years old, i got to be honest Canada has Done me In" cooked my head" i cant wait to get home. everythings up in the air right now, im not 100% sure how hubby feels,im torn i think,
my Mum has just been diagnosed with cancer, that makes me want to get home even sooner.
But we are in limbo here, dont know how to make the start, how much shipping will cost, how do i stand with getting my hubby into u.k, he is very qualified, but what are is chances of work at 56 years old. do i apply for residency first for him, or a working visa ? Do i go home and he apply from Canada or is it best for him to apply in u.k, what the quickest and easiest.
Sorry to hear Canada is not working as well for you as you would have wished.

Regarding your husband, start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk to see the process to get him a visa (entry clearance) as a spouse. If you want to find out about U.K. immigration then http://www.immigrationboards.com is a good resource.

He cannot just arrive as a tourist and stay on (he would just have to go back to Canada and apply the right way from there).

Did you get your own Canadian citizenship during the 10 years?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:16 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the "Canada is killing me softly club". Sorry to hear about your Mum OP, and wish both posters all the best with your plans.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice

thanks to everyone for their support and great words
Lalaloubell
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

good luck with your plans from me too - can totally understand your feeling about aging 10 years think the move has done the same with me too
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Home is where the Heart Its so very true
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by burton bunch
good luck with your plans from me too - can totally understand your feeling about aging 10 years think the move has done the same with me too
Good Luck to you to Gaynor what ever it is you choose to do, I have made my choice I am Happy to go home, and i will say in the 10 years of living around and about i can say i have learned a lot, so i will go back to Wales with that thought
Lala
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Hi lalaloubell, we've only been in Canada for around 5 years or so, but I can so identify with your post, what with the health scenario's and the social isolation, it does begin to grind you down after a while. I agree your personality does change. I'm the same age as you, and similarly need to get home quickly. MIL has Alzheimiers, and has been staying with SIL who has until recently been coping really well.
She took charge of things after the fairly recent death of FIL. Unfortunately we're here for a spell longer which is of our making, 'cos I can't part with me baskervilles (dogs). I know it sounds kinda selfish but lots of personal history there, and I just can't part with me dogs.
I wish both you and your mum the very best. Chin Up
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
Hi lalaloubell, we've only been in Canada for around 5 years or so, but I can so identify with your post, what with the health scenario's and the social isolation, it does begin to grind you down after a while. I agree your personality does change. I'm the same age as you, and similarly need to get home quickly. MIL has Alzheimiers, and has been staying with SIL who has until recently been coping really well.
She took charge of things after the fairly recent death of FIL. Unfortunately we're here for a spell longer which is of our making, 'cos I can't part with me baskervilles (dogs). I know it sounds kinda selfish but lots of personal history there, and I just can't part with me dogs.
I wish both you and your mum the very best. Chin Up
Thanks for you post , and yes your right about the Health Care
all i know right now is i want Me back !!! i dont know if i have adjusted at all.

Also sunshine girl, there are some thngs in life that we can not part with and i understand it being your dogs, we have dogs too, but i hope they come with us, or i may just be selfish myself, i will not want to leave without my dogs, thats another thing to add to our return mmmm but i love my dogs and i think it be worth it to take them too.
Lala
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for you post , and yes your right about the Health Care
all i know right now is i want Me back !!! i dont know if i have adjusted at all.

Also sunshine girl, there are some thngs in life that we can not part with and i understand it being your dogs, we have dogs too, but i hope they come with us, or i may just be selfish myself, i will not want to leave without my dogs, thats another thing to add to our return mmmm but i love my dogs and i think it be worth it to take them too.
Lala
SunshineGirl
forgot to mention' hope things go well for you to my dear, Good luck and health to you and your family
Llaloubell
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your woes. What has Calgary done to poor you and to Krusadr!? . the list of those wishing to escape Canada seems to be growing weekly - and will be rivaling all those Aussie escapees soon

Best wishes to you and your mum - and I hope you get things more settled in the coming months .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.