Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How difficult to get into Manchester Grammar School off-cycle?

How difficult to get into Manchester Grammar School off-cycle?

Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:33 am
Just Joined

baileymum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How difficult to get into Manchester Grammar School off-cycle?

We will likely be relocating from the U.S. to the Manchester area. I have two school age boys, and in researching school information it seems as though we have missed the window on entrance exams by a few months for state grammar schools. Will it be easier to get into MGS since it is independent? Will state grammar schools take very bright children even off-cycle?

We are concerned about finding the right schools. They are currently in a situation which allows them to be appropriately challenged, which is not easy, and while it seems the Manchester area has some marvelous schools which would suit them, it's too late to apply for Fall 2012!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:51 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How difficult to get into Manchester Grammar School off-cycle?

Originally Posted by baileymum
We will likely be relocating from the U.S. to the Manchester area. I have two school age boys, and in researching school information it seems as though we have missed the window on entrance exams by a few months for state grammar schools. Will it be easier to get into MGS since it is independent? Will state grammar schools take very bright children even off-cycle?

We are concerned about finding the right schools. They are currently in a situation which allows them to be appropriately challenged, which is not easy, and while it seems the Manchester area has some marvelous schools which would suit them, it's too late to apply for Fall 2012!
I may be wrong, but I doubt whether many, or even any, of the regulars on this forum have experience of Manchester Grammar School. Not many people in the UK have £20,000 a year to spend on educating their two children. I think your best course of action would be to contact the school.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

i can't share anything specific to Manchester Grammar School.
I can however share that we are just going through the sames situation with our son (who would be in year 7 in the UK), trying to get a school place off-cycle in another part of the country.

We have found it impossible to find a place in any half-way decent state school and have had to go private. We have been succesful here, though this was also tricky. Firstly it's luck of the draw whether or not there is a place (findng 2 would be very lucky indeed) and then we had to arrange for sitting of entrance exams.
- these are also tricky, since the curriculum in the UK idffers from our part of the US and also there are a few bits and pieces of cultural difference - spelling of words, use of metric system and conversions, 'general knowledge' of UK geography etc.

Havng said all of this - I don't want to put you off - it IS possible - our son starts at his new school in April!

Do talk to the school directly - visit them if at all possible - persevere and be prepared to be flexible (we had been planning on a June move for a Sept start....)!

Best of luck

Tony
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:45 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

I think you will find it tricky to find places at state grammar schools at this point in the year, but it's definitely worth getting in touch with the schools you're interested in, just in case.
I'm sure trying for the independents will be easier - we've managed four times to find independent schools who could take all three of ours at the same time. We moved last September and the registrar at the school ours are at now said they're finding there's a lot of movement at the moment - financial reasons, work relocation etc. Just email/call the ones you're interested in and they should let you know re places.
You're right saying there are a lot to choose from in Manchester - I'm sure you'll find somewhere suitable for your boys!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Swisstony and CEM, thanks for the replies!

We wanted to let the boys finish school in the U.S., move them over the summer, and start school in the fall. Tony, I am curious, why did starting in April make things easier?

Regarding challenges of entrance exams, hadn't thought of what you mention. I figured they'd be akin to the American SAT or an IQ test. I'll have to do more research on that, I suppose!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

April didn't necessarily make it easier to find the place - it's just that a place became available as of the beginning of the Summer term and we're taking it....

Good luck!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:00 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: How difficult to get into Manchester Grammar School off-cycle?

Originally Posted by Swisstony
April didn't necessarily make it easier to find the place - it's just that a place became available as of the beginning of the Summer term and we're taking it....

Good luck!
I didn't know that you were moving back to the UK! Have you had enough of Noo Joisey then lol?!

I'm busy making my escape plans from NJ too....
Old Feb 15th 2012, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Markusha is an unknown quantity at this point

This forum:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/for...a74d97e6ecc926
is the place to go for information on UK grammar schools.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I didn't know that you were moving back to the UK! Have you had enough of Noo Joisey then lol?!

I'm busy making my escape plans from NJ too....

Hi Englishmum

yes, we're off.... has been in discussion with my employers for a litle while, but decision now made and all systems are go.... rather daunting actually, but we have our eyes on a distant horizon and the sun is in the sky
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Baileymum

We managed to get both our sons in Dover Grammar school and they started after May half term. They had to sit an entrance exam as we came from Canada, so they had not sat the 11 plus.

Both son's are studying A Levels and eldest of the two has just accepted a place at Cambridge. So schooling for them has gone well. We recommend that you try and get them into a Grammar school.

Hudd
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Hudd, thanks for the ray of hope. I am curious: did you figure out the school first and then find a place to live, or the other way around?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

StuartLeeming is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning

I picked up this thread via Google alerts. The Manchester Grammar School will accept applications at any time; we are not constrained by the 'application cycle' for anyone (other than bursary applicants), least of all for overseas applications. We even interview by Skype where necessary. Please contact Kath Heathcote in the Admissions Office on (+44) 161 224 7201 ext 234

Kind regards
Stuart Leeming
Deputy High Master
MGS
Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Stockport Grammer is also a great School and near some excelletn suburbs. Lorreto is also a great school, The Kings School in Macclesfield, The Ryleys School Alderley Edge, Altrincham Grammer, All Hallows, Macclesfield.....good look there really is a huge choice of great performing schools in and around Manchester.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Hudd, thanks for the ray of hope. I am curious: did you figure out the school first and then find a place to live, or the other way around?
baileymum

We brought in the catchment area for the Grammar school. We looked at both the Harvey(Folkestone) and Dover Grammar schools.

Hudd
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Dela is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: How difficult to get into Manchester Grammar School off-cycle?

Hi there. I just happened upon your post so I hope i can offer some help. I live in the manchester area close by to manchester grammar school (MGS) itself. My son is an american citizen but is schooling here in the uk and we applied for him to attend MGS. He took the entrance exam and attended the accessment day. Unfortuntely we just discovered this week that we were not successful. The school also offers bursaries which mean you may qualify for all or part of the school fees to be paid. My son has been offerred a place at a state school since he did attend a local school in manchester ( he is also a UK citizen by birth). Depending where you live there are still quite a lot of school who have not fulfilled the quota of places they are offering. Ive recently recieved the notice from the local authority so if you contact manchester city council they should be able to help you with what choices are currently available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.