Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How different we all feel.

How different we all feel.

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:20 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How different we all feel.

Someone posted this weblink recently about cost comparisons between countries across the world. You can then select cities. Makes for interesting reading

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...United+Kingdom
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

Don't start me on the weather!!! We moved back from AZ mainly because of the weather 24/7 heatwave! But surprisingly not many power outages..perhaps a couple in the 7 yrs we were there for about 2 hrs each.

Since moving back to NJ the weather is too hot/humid in the summer and too cold in the winter with hardly a proper Autum or Spring...we have had 3 major outages in the last 6 months, from 3 hrs to 5 long freezing days...no water, can't use the loo, no heat...but did have gas stove so we cooked everyday from scratch to use up the food quickly before it went bad! All I see here are those ugly power lines that for some reason keep catching my eye amongst the greenery I was so longing to see back in NJ!! In AZ all power lines were underground, so the views were not obstructed.

I am just about done with Christmas shopping, but it has taken me forever, just to get in and out of 3 shops at a time. For me Christmas shopping in the US is very depressing as it is just driving around from one big box shop to another, I must have filled my gas tank a ton of times.

I think of the days I would shop back at home during this time of year and how joyous it really was...walking through town with friends/family...checking out the lights...people bustling about, chestnuts literally roasting on every corner..so storybook, I remember, everything really felt Christmassy, even if it did'nt snow. How I long for those days and to show my family here how it's really done. Merry Christmas to all...
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 12:15 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
I find it expensive in the USA.I have to grit my teeth when buying necessary items like clothes washing liquid because I find it really dear compared to what I`m used to paying in the UK.
Interesting. What did you used to use? We always bought laundry detergent as powder in big containers and found that much cheaper than the little balls that are the norm in the UK. The powder that's available here is never in really big containers so it's less economical or convenient.

Same with the dishwasher, but we can get reasonably sized powder from Tescos so we stock up on 3 or 4 once in a while.

Bev
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Um, well, I usually used own brand powder or occasionally liquid which seemed to be cheaper and better quality in the UK than the same here. It all seems to be the ubiquitous Tide here and at $15 for a decent size container seems expensive to me.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jemima55
Um, well, I usually used own brand powder or occasionally liquid which seemed to be cheaper and better quality in the UK than the same here. It all seems to be the ubiquitous Tide here and at $15 for a decent size container seems expensive to me.
To cut down on the expense of things like laundry detergent, toiletries (tissue paper, paper towels, toothpaste) etc... I just buy in bulk from either Sam's Club or Costco. If there is one in your area try it. I save so much money and only shop for it ( tissue paper, paper towels) twice a year.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

Here in the UK it's all quite tame, more mundane, in comparison and we Brits do tend to think that everything in America, no matter what, is on a much grander scale than than they are over here, and climatic conditions are certainly no exception.
I don't think the weather could be more mundane then where I am ( San Diego ) - sunny and within a few degrees of 70 EVERYDAY.

It's like Groundhog day without the snow