British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   How Did You Know? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/how-did-you-know-925459/)

Chakn Jun 2nd 2019 4:10 pm

How Did You Know?

The big question:how did you know it was time to go back?

My story: Lived in Canada for 3 years now,had a good time of it - settled fairly quickly with jobs, house, new friends etc. Then, in the last few months I've felt a bit detached, longing to be back in familiar territory in the UK and missing everything, down to the small things - family, friends, the food, the culture, the TV and thinking about the life we left behind.

I have a trip back planned this month to really look at things objectively - and figure out where I want to be but it all feels a bit overwhelming. Uprooting again for the sake of how I feel is a big life decision and I wonder if this is just a feeling that I will never really lose and to enjoy what I have here, or if being home is the answer - reading other threads I think the trip will help clear my head here.

So how did you know it was really time to plan for moving back and how did you deal with the onset of homesickness/realisation that you might want to go back, even if it came out of the blue?

Bud the Wiser Jun 2nd 2019 5:23 pm

Re: How Did You Know?

When I got off the plane at Gatwick on a trip back and within five minutes I heard the phrase;" Ooops-a-daisy' and the word, "Bollocks" , I knew I was back where I belong. :)

jacks50p Jun 2nd 2019 6:52 pm

The last four years, tears just come from nowhere as the plane desends on to the tarmac at Heathrow. It happens again as I get on the plane to go back to US, even though I am so looking forward to seeing my husband after being away for a month. Also, as soon as I am back it is literally weeks before I am missing 'home' again. We have now made the decision to move back but it cant be for a minimum of two years.

durham_lad Jun 2nd 2019 7:40 pm

That longing for the home country never really left so when we retired after 24 years in the USA we decided to get it out of our system and arranged a 7 month holiday back in the small town we liked the most and where our 2 children were born. It didn’t get it out of our system, we loved it, felt like we’d never left, so returned for good a few years later, leaving our 2 adult children in the USA.

Bud the Wiser Jun 3rd 2019 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 12692486)
When I got off the plane at Gatwick on a trip back and within five minutes I heard the phrase;" Ooops-a-daisy' and the word, "Bollocks" , I knew I was back where I belong. :)

To expand on my previous post. There was no one defining moment, rather a gradual fading of what appealed to me about moving to America in the first place coupled with a different appreciation of what I took for granted about the UK or had never appreciated when I lived there. Best described in Jensmate post in the 'Back Home' thread 'Why did I not love this country before?'

zoexr Jun 3rd 2019 5:11 am

My decision did come a little out of the blue. We were back in the UK to visit my parents and sort out various medical things (my mum is very ill and elderly). I had to discuss funeral wishes with her. When I was telling my husband about my wishes I told him he had to bring me back to England as I didn’t want to be in NZ forever. That one sentence really clarified my thoughts!

getoutofbritainquick Jun 5th 2019 9:56 pm

We have been in Canada 13 years and loved the first 7 years. We moved to Vancouver Island from the LM then things started to change. The cost of living rapidly shot up, house prices went through the roof and we found people to be rather unfriendly. The developement in the Victoria area is out of control and just about every green space is being decimated with cheap ugly looking condos. Traffic is horrendous and they have no plan to improve the infrustructure which is insane. PC has gone mad here. We have found their are too many thiefdoms here on VI who do not listen to the voice of the people they are supposed to represent.
The last couple of years has made us really think about where we want to rertire and its certainly not Canada. Our youngest has 3 more years in High School and we are planning on returning to the UK to retire probably to Devon or Cornwall. Money has not been an issue for us here in BC but we just fell out of love with the place.
We are at the point of no return and we cannot see much positive with whats going on in Canada which makes it difficult for us every day. If it wasnt for our sons education we would be gone now. We know Britain has its issues but at least its home and we intend to stay as far away from London as possible!
We are planning a 4 week trip to the UK next year to check out area where we would like to live.
Good luck and best wishes to those returning to the UK.