How did you decide?

Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you decide?

Originally Posted by horrigans
Thanks for that, Hoista. Things have been a bit better for the past couple of days. We had a seriously horrible row about it all on Sunday when, despite having said last week that he would start looking for jobs in the UK, he turned round and said he didn't know what we were doing, whether we were staying or going. Massive aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Anyway, it was a doozy and that evening we talked about it again and decided that we would aim to go back to the UK in May / June this year.

Although we're still a bit up and down, things are definitely a bit better than they were a couple of weeks / months ago.

I also wanted to say a really big thank you to everyone who replied to me on this thread. I cannot begin to describe how isolated and desperate this has all made me feel - and being able to tell someone who could understand what I / we were going through gave me back some of the confidence in myself that I was losing. I've also met up with nicola411 and had a good old blah about it all which has done my sanity the world of good! Although I've seen a few people on this board recently who've been knocking the support that can be offered on here to those of us who are struggling with emigrating - but I wanted to say that for me, this board has been a real lifeline. Until you've been in this position, you can't possibly begin to understand how it can start to destroy everything that is or was positive in your life and how hard it is to cope on your own when everyone around you seems to be carrying on as if nothing could possibly be wrong.

So, ermmm... long post... but... thanks for all the advice and support. It's made a massive difference to me.

Sarah

PS Will be booking the flights in the next couple of days. Gawd aren't they expensive from here!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good plan! If flights are booked then you can start counting down the weeks (definitely helps!) - plus can't really cancel them; waste more money etc...

Good luck
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Sarah! I am thrilled that you are able to make plans for what makes you feel happy! Get those tickets booked and to heck with the cost
Old Mar 13th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah,

Booking your flights I wish we were in that position.

I had a great time yesterday too thanks
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, Hoista. Things have been a bit better for the past couple of days. We had a seriously horrible row about it all on Sunday when, despite having said last week that he would start looking for jobs in the UK, he turned round and said he didn't know what we were doing, whether we were staying or going. Massive aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Anyway, it was a doozy and that evening we talked about it again and decided that we would aim to go back to the UK in May / June this year.

Although we're still a bit up and down, things are definitely a bit better than they were a couple of weeks / months ago.

I also wanted to say a really big thank you to everyone who replied to me on this thread. I cannot begin to describe how isolated and desperate this has all made me feel - and being able to tell someone who could understand what I / we were going through gave me back some of the confidence in myself that I was losing. I've also met up with nicola411 and had a good old blah about it all which has done my sanity the world of good! Although I've seen a few people on this board recently who've been knocking the support that can be offered on here to those of us who are struggling with emigrating - but I wanted to say that for me, this board has been a real lifeline. Until you've been in this position, you can't possibly begin to understand how it can start to destroy everything that is or was positive in your life and how hard it is to cope on your own when everyone around you seems to be carrying on as if nothing could possibly be wrong.

So, ermmm... long post... but... thanks for all the advice and support. It's made a massive difference to me.

Sarah

PS Will be booking the flights in the next couple of days. Gawd aren't they expensive from here!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really glad you have "sorted" things out.......your right about this site...it really does help at times when you think nobody understands......
Good luck and your right about flight prices.......expensive at this end!!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

MademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond reputeMademoiselleMtl has a reputation beyond repute

I am happy to hear something positive! Good luck on your journey home!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah

Sod the cost..... book the flights and you will feel a whole lot better....Good Luck
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:04 am

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: How did you decide?

Excellent posts well done.
I'm in Perth and think it's sh!t. On many of the other forums when you say bads things about Perth, people gang up on you and say crap like 'it's only boring, if you're a boring person" "you obviously didn't really want to come". Bullsheet, I'm very outgoing, active and generally have ants in my pants, that's why i'm bored 'cos there's fork all to do in Perth apart from the beach. My missus is away back to the UK, she decided on Wednesday to go back for a few weeks, booked the flight for Thursday and has just texted me to say she's in London!!
We have the advantage were we don't have kids and have plenty of money, so she doesn't even have to work if she doesn't want to.
I'm not wanting to head back to the UK, but my experience of this place is:
it is seriously OVER-RATED!!
Sorry to hear about some of ur own situations, chin-up everyone
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MademoiselleMtl
I am happy to hear something positive! Good luck on your journey home!
Thanks all! And something more positive. After being without any luck at all in finding a job in this country despite applying everywhere from Brisbane to Hobart... within 24 hours of telling our UK friends we were coming home (and it is home not just 'back to the UK'), one of them had lined up some temp work for him which he could start from here.

This may not be what hubs wanted from us emigrating... let's face it, it's about as far from what he wanted as possible... but knowing that our friends are our friends are our friends no matter what, is just the best feeling.

Sarah
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:04 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
I'm in Perth and think it's sh!t. On many of the other forums when you say bads things about Perth, people gang up on you and say crap like 'it's only boring, if you're a boring person" "you obviously didn't really want to come". Bullsheet, I'm very outgoing, active and generally have ants in my pants, that's why i'm bored 'cos there's fork all to do in Perth apart from the beach. My missus is away back to the UK, she decided on Wednesday to go back for a few weeks, booked the flight for Thursday and has just texted me to say she's in London!!
We have the advantage were we don't have kids and have plenty of money, so she doesn't even have to work if she doesn't want to.

I loved this post, so down to earth. I'm definatley not boring either, but this place i live in is...i think you can do everything in a whole week in Perth, so what we gonna do with the rest of our life's then!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all! And something more positive. After being without any luck at all in finding a job in this country despite applying everywhere from Brisbane to Hobart... within 24 hours of telling our UK friends we were coming home (and it is home not just 'back to the UK'), one of them had lined up some temp work for him which he could start from here.

This may not be what hubs wanted from us emigrating... let's face it, it's about as far from what he wanted as possible... but knowing that our friends are our friends are our friends no matter what, is just the best feeling.

Sarah
Wow that is super Sarah! At last, the silver lining of your grey storm cloud is beginning to peep through!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
LOL that's what I am inclined to do - although I have never managed to leave just the day after booking the tickets - I dithered about for a whole week last time! My next trip is already booked so I wont be heading off in the next few weeks at least.

At last we are able to afford my foibles but it is only recently that we have had that luxury - no kids any more, they are all off doing their own things anyway!

Hope your wife is having a great time in London - does she get you to check out the webcams while she is standing in front of them??? (I have been known to text my DH and suggests he checks where I am!!!)
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
More like a nightmare gone wrong

Frustrates the life out me when i hear people say, better life-style, the beaches, laid back...i just don't think there is any truth in all that.
Oh gawd - I hate the whole 'lifestyle' thing! It's not about 'living the lifestyle' - it's about living your life in the way that suits you, not some glossy version of a dream from the pages of a magazine.

The thing that worries me about going back to the UK is whether or not I'll manage to restrain myself from throwing objects at the telly whenever a 'better life down under' style programme comes on!

Sarah
Old Mar 15th 2008, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL that's what I am inclined to do - although I have never managed to leave just the day after booking the tickets - I dithered about for a whole week last time! My next trip is already booked so I wont be heading off in the next few weeks at least.

At last we are able to afford my foibles but it is only recently that we have had that luxury - no kids any more, they are all off doing their own things anyway!

Hope your wife is having a great time in London - does she get you to check out the webcams while she is standing in front of them??? (I have been known to text my DH and suggests he checks where I am!!!)
Ha-ha, if I have my way, the only webcams she'll be standing in front of will be behind closed doors
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I loved this post, so down to earth. I'm definatley not boring either, but this place i live in is...i think you can do everything in a whole week in Perth, so what we gonna do with the rest of our life's then!!
Thank you, Nu-Shooz, I'd emailed a friend about Perth and his reply was similar i.e. he liked the "down to earth" view instead of the usual "everything is soooo wonderful", "it's a quadrillion times better than UK", "the LIFESTYLE is great" etc, etc.

I'm seriously considering leaving here earlier than planned i.e. middle of year instead of end of year. With missus away, I went to pub in city afterwork on Fri night, got hammered, got food, walked home, drank more, woke up feeling like doggy doo this morning and was too hungover to make my weekly pilgrimage to the beach, hence the reason I'm on the internet on a Sat afternoon.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:43 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh gawd - I hate the whole 'lifestyle' thing! It's not about 'living the lifestyle' - it's about living your life in the way that suits you, not some glossy version of a dream from the pages of a magazine.

The thing that worries me about going back to the UK is whether or not I'll manage to restrain myself from throwing objects at the telly whenever a 'better life down under' style programme comes on!

Sarah
I'm so glad you've sorted things out and you're going home. That's bloody brill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.