Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to decide where to resettle back in the UK

How to decide where to resettle back in the UK

Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:06 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to decide where to resettle back in the UK

Hi All,

We are currently stuck in a quagmire and have no idea what to do. We have bought a large property in Oz and have two dogs and a new baby not to mention a shed load of alpacas. The long and the short of it is we’ve been here in OZ for 10 months and hate it.
We want to go home and will probably have to off load the house and alpacas for a huge loss but never mind its only money and we have decided our happiness is more important. We don’t want our son educated here so were pretty sure we are going to have to return. The problem is where to? Every place I’ve lived in the UK was out of need and dictated by my career. Now we have no idea where to resettle and was wondering how any of you returning expats decided on where to live. Did you all just resettle where you left from or did you force yourselves to try somewhere new.

Let me know where you decided to return to and why. Thanks.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to decide where to resettle back in the UK

Originally Posted by arkon
Hi All,

We are currently stuck in a quagmire and have no idea what to do. We have bought a large property in Oz and have two dogs and a new baby not to mention a shed load of alpacas. The long and the short of it is we’ve been here in OZ for 10 months and hate it.
We want to go home and will probably have to off load the house and alpacas for a huge loss but never mind its only money and we have decided our happiness is more important. We don’t want our son educated here so were pretty sure we are going to have to return. The problem is where to? Every place I’ve lived in the UK was out of need and dictated by my career. Now we have no idea where to resettle and was wondering how any of you returning expats decided on where to live. Did you all just resettle where you left from or did you force yourselves to try somewhere new.

Hi Arkon

Sorry to hear that you are hating it. Would you look at staying long enough for your citizenship?

We haven't re-settled yet back we looking at moving back to the Surrey / Hampshire border. This isn't too far away from where we left but far enough to give us the feeling that we are trying somewhere new. When we left for OZ we were wanting to move area's anyway as having just moved into a town for convienence for the kids I realised that I was a village girl through and through. The area that we are looking at has plenty of villages, good proximety to London, Europe and family. Need to check the house prices when we know about the wages. :scared:

I guess that their are plenty of dog walking area's around here?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:54 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Hi Arkon

Sorry to hear that you are hating it. Would you look at staying long enough for your citizenship?

We haven't re-settled yet back we looking at moving back to the Surrey / Hampshire border. This isn't too far away from where we left but far enough to give us the feeling that we are trying somewhere new. When we left for OZ we were wanting to move area's anyway as having just moved into a town for convienence for the kids I realised that I was a village girl through and through. The area that we are looking at has plenty of villages, good proximety to London, Europe and family. Need to check the house prices when we know about the wages. :scared:

I guess that their are plenty of dog walking area's around here?
Thanks Woodyinoz, we were going to wait for citizenship just to get our moneys worth out of the whole experience, But if it goes to 3 years I'm not so sure we can stick it out that long. As we have ditched our UK jobs and house we are free to settle almost anywhere. But still have no idea where.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Woodyinoz, we were going to wait for citizenship just to get our moneys worth out of the whole experience, But if it goes to 3 years I'm not so sure we can stick it out that long. As we have ditched our UK jobs and house we are free to settle almost anywhere. But still have no idea where.
Its strange because I thought that I would never manage 2 years but now it has come and gone so fast! The homesickness hasn't unfortunatly... We have our citizenship interview in November but I am not ready to head back yet. I still wish to give it another 2 years to try to see and experience all. Mind you after today I may not wish to experience any more of the school :scared:
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Hi All,

Out of interest what are 'alpacas'?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wildmark
Camels with one hump or is it no humps!!!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wildmark
I thought everybody knew
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Hi All,

We pick an area we like and then let the job decide..
Old Oct 7th 2005, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

We are not returning emigratees as of yet but my personal choice is North Yorkshire. Fantastic scenery, lovely places and great people. Its got to come down to where you can get a job though I would have thought.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Hi All,

I've sent you a PM.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eurotramp
I thought everybody knew

No, never seen those before, what do you breed them for...meet or, fur???

Look like hairy Lamas

Mark
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
We are not returning emigratees as of yet but my personal choice is North Yorkshire. Fantastic scenery, lovely places and great people. Its got to come down to where you can get a job though I would have thought.
A great place with many good pubs I hear

I thought everybody knew
That's the little bugger's not sure what use they have mind!!

Same as hubby I guess, standing around looking for food
Old Oct 7th 2005, 1:48 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
A great place with many good pubs I hear

That's the little bugger's not sure what use they have mind!!

Same as hubby I guess, standing around looking for food
Yes thats them. A part of the camelid group but with no humps and very friendly. We breed them not for meat or fur but just to create a better Alpaca. Also they keep the paddocks grass shorter and save me on diesel.
When we sell the farm we will have to try and find a buyer for the packas, no mean feat I can assure you.

Oh and I work from home so a job won't now dictate the location to resettle.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes thats them. A part of the camelid group but with no humps and very friendly. We breed them not for meat or fur but just to create a better Alpaca. Also they keep the paddocks grass shorter and save me on diesel.
When we sell the farm we will have to try and find a buyer for the packas, no mean feat I can assure you.

Oh and I work from home so a job won't now dictate the location to resettle.
Oh, you are soo lucky. If I would be in your shoes, I would go to Cornwall I just love the place.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Cornwall could be considered a bit too remote by some - lovely as it is. There are no major cities in Cornwall, and no motorways.

My (albeit biased) suggestion would be South Devon - Plymouth. A major city, but right on the border with Cornwall. And lots of lovely villages dotted around. Easy access to train, airport and major roads (no motorway though - M5 begins/ends in Exeter).

Oh, you are soo lucky. If I would be in your shoes, I would go to Cornwall I just love the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.