Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

Originally Posted by windsong
I thought you were already over there! Maybe I am thinking of someone else; been months since I have been here.
No, we were trying to be wise. We sold our house, paid off all debts, have rapidly depleting savings from the sale, so ONLY my Hunny went as to not be a burden to either his family OR the country, even though we are all british passport holders and technically don't "count" as immigrants. He work hard and found a decent job after two months (left 5th October), and now, due to this disaster of finding a place to live, are spending our first Christmas apart in all our almost 22 years of marriage. This is so painful. And the most painful part is watching my small children upset about missing Daddy knowing he does have work and calling overseas to try to get things working out only to be told too bad, so sad, have a happy Christmas.

So, the responsible mover, beware, even if you are all legal british citizens jumping through all the hoops and not being a burden in any way, they don't want you in their country. Welcome "Home" to us, eh?
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Default Re: HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

Originally Posted by Wombat7
So three bedrooms would not be required. hopefully this will reduce some of the stress that Pondhopper is feeling and perhaps she will be more able to enjoy the Christmas period
Mine are 12yob, 9 yog, and even if we put them each in a room and had a pull out couch for us, nope. Of course right now I am sleeping on a kingsized air mattress on the floor or a very public family room with my two children and the dog... So that pull out sounds luxurious, what do I know of such things.

Christmas has been ruined for this year by letting agents. I'm told I should get used to officials ruining things though.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shirtback
My parents own a rental property in the UK, as do my sister & I.

We would all be flexible about accepting proof of funds/job(s)/past landlord references for returning expats with no credit rating, rather than 6 months rent up front ( and have advised the agencies involved accordingly).

BUT, we all have a no pets policy. We all *might* consider a cat or *small* dog on a case-by-case basis, & FWIW we're all dog &/or cat owners.

Is it possible that the OP may be experiencing a "double-whammy" (no credit rating/dog)?
Fyi, a quiet ol' lab is a better let than a yappy, pee in the house, small dog, or a cat that might spray indoors. You might want to reconsider that limit for your tenants. My dog doesn't bark, sleeps most of the day, never messes indoors, only does her business while out being walked (never in a yard and ALWAYS picked up after), and because she's a well trained LARGE dog, acts as a deterrent to potential break-ins. Just my .02!
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:57 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

I always trust private, never trust the agency. they are rip of merchants..

one guy wanted me to pay 150 just for a visit!?? i told him to DO ONE, you won't get any cash from me.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

And, as my last note, wombat? We did know. But thanks for the reminder on how obviously ignorant you feel we are. We had TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars going into this, but with car rentals to travel to several times a week interviews all over the countryside, room and board there for him, and rent here for me, food for my family here (if you don't think that too shortsighted), BUDGETING for shipping the dog no landlord wants but that I got attacked here on many occasions for suggesting might end up being forced into being rehomed ($3500+), BUDGETING for shipping our meager 10 boxes containing all our worldly possessions ($2000!!!), BUDGETING for bare essential furniture, but finding out we'll need appliances too, odd... In Canada rentals mostly come with at least a fridge and stove... BUDGETING for plane tickets for three more to make the trip, even living incredibly frugally, STILL those thousand disappear fast. So we DID plan, and HAVE the six months plus fees, but it means no fridge to store food. Didn't see that slap in the face coming, sorry. We've never lived there (and Hunny) was a child and not responsible for those things. So. Thanks again for implying we are fools. I feel so warm and fuzzy and welcome.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
And, as my last note, wombat? We did know. But thanks for the reminder on how obviously ignorant you feel we are. We had TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars going into this, but with car rentals to travel to several times a week interviews all over the countryside, room and board there for him, and rent here for me, food for my family here (if you don't think that too shortsighted), BUDGETING for shipping the dog no landlord wants but that I got attacked here on many occasions for suggesting might end up being forced into being rehomed ($3500+), BUDGETING for shipping our meager 10 boxes containing all our worldly possessions ($2000!!!), BUDGETING for bare essential furniture, but finding out we'll need appliances too, odd... In Canada rentals mostly come with at least a fridge and stove... BUDGETING for plane tickets for three more to make the trip, even living incredibly frugally, STILL those thousand disappear fast. So we DID plan, and HAVE the six months plus fees, but it means no fridge to store food. Didn't see that slap in the face coming, sorry. We've never lived there (and Hunny) was a child and not responsible for those things. So. Thanks again for implying we are fools. I feel so warm and fuzzy and welcome.
Sorry did not mean to imply you were fools...naive perhaps. I know that you are stressed out but moving is stressful and expensive - having just done this, I do know what you are going through.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 12:07 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

So, the responsible mover, beware, even if you are all legal british citizens jumping through all the hoops and not being a burden in any way, they don't want you in their country. Welcome "Home" to us, eh?
Christmas has been ruined for this year by letting agents. I'm told I should get used to officials ruining things though.
So we DID plan, and HAVE the six months plus fees, but it means no fridge to store food. Didn't see that slap in the face coming, sorry. We've never lived there (and Hunny) was a child and not responsible for those things. So. Thanks again for implying we are fools. I feel so warm and fuzzy and welcome.
Seriously, Pondhopper: please go back to pages 3 and 4 and reread Nihao's posts again. Everyone is trying to help, but I think Nihao said it best.

You risk poisoning your whole move. Your posts about England and the perceived lack of 'welcome' are just so increasingly emotive and furious; I can't see how you'll weather the culture shock of actually being in the country, when you're already so angry. It won't all just fall into place when you have a rental; there are always many difficulties and frustrations when you're in a new country, and more setbacks to fight through.

It's not England's fault. It's not even the letting agents' faults. I'm not trying to get at you, or say you're stupid, but this is an entirely voluntary move. Your husband went over there to look for a job. If you have any relatives in England, they don't seem especially helpful, so I assume you're not moving for them.

You've chosen to emigrate, and even if you don't consider yourself the 'wrong' kind of immigrants (because you have British passports), you're still new and subject to many of the same issues re. credit and navigating procedures such as rentals. You said you've never lived in England before, and your husband was only there as a child. So it's not really home -- not yet, although I hope you'll be happy when you do move. But expecting a 'welcome' is setting yourself up for disappointment, and, if anything, you seem to be getting angrier and angrier, and that only makes everything worse. Have a shout and a cry and then move on.

Edit to say: and I know this will sound pious, or that I've been at the mulled wine, but there are an awful lot of families spending Christmas apart, and other people separated from loved ones, both on this board and in even harder circumstances. So I really hope you can have an imperfect but happy-as-possible Christmas.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Dec 19th 2014 at 1:46 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 1:12 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with MoshiMoshi. I'm sorry you are having a bad time, but Britain currently has a housing crisis. That's just a fact, and it isn't just immigrants who have a hard time finding somewhere to live.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

I too agree with MoshiMoshi. There will be frustrations but remember why you decided to make this move. Go back to the early days of your blog and re-read the reasons you decided to taken this adventure, re-kindle the excitement and enthusiasm that you felt back then.

MoshiMoshi is right, England is a new country for you. Having been back in the country for nearly two months I am still going through issues. Last week I was finally able to get added to my partner's bank account, I now have a debit card and am excitedly awaiting a PIN so I can use it - who knows, I might then go completely wild and apply for a credit card.

It is all more difficult that it was back home in Canada, but that is to be expected, even though I have lived in this country before, that was almost 35 years ago and a lot has changed since then.

I have found that people are generally very helpful. I do get a few strange looks when I clearly do not understand something that a teenager is expected to have mastered but when I explain that I am new to the country people are very helpful. As they have been to me on this Board.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep. Mistake, but as he has found work, this is our bed (air mattress) to sleep in.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Pondhopper out.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 5:15 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Mistake, but as he has found work, this is our bed (air mattress) to sleep in.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Pondhopper out.
Chin up! A new year is just around the corner. You can do it!