Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

Old Dec 7th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Default HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

Am I the only crazy here or does it seem impossible for the past homeowner (as in no landlord) who can't seem to figure out how to find a rental (letting) in the UK? My Hunny has work (YAY!) only we might never get over there because all the places want six months in advance (fine) PLUS almost 1000£ Deposit PLUS NON REFUNDABLE "application fee" PER PERSON, AND PER PROPERTY?!?!

I mean, fine, if you want an admin cost, okay, but non refundable even if it is rejected? What's stopping them from pocketing the money and laughing at the pathetic Canadians trying to find a home... 300£ X 10 attempts is 3000£ not too bad for a day of NOT working...

All this BS about us working so hard to get the dog over there? Crap it, we might have to give her up just to buy some furniture since rent, fees, deposits will eat up all our savings. Dogs are nice, a fridge to put food in and a place to plunk our rears is nice too!

I am so lost and don't know what to do anymore... Is there anything I'm missing or am too stupid to see?? Why do we have to pay a month a half in deposit (incase we skip out) when we will have already paid a FULL lease six months in ADVANCE, there is no skipping out! Please someone encourage me...
Old Dec 7th 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

The absolute minimum these days is 1 month deposit and 1 month in advance, but the non refundable application fee of 300 GBP sounds horrible.

When we rented in 2011, arranging this from the USA, it looked like we were going to have to pay 6 months in advance, but fortunately I emailed copies of my pension advice for a recent couple of months and was able to get away with 1 month in advance and 1 month security fee. (I don't remember how much the application fee was, if any). The house we rented was through a real estate agent and the agent was very professional and helpful.

Good luck in your efforts.

Here is a government website detailing legal responsibilities of both landlord and tenant including where the landlord should hold your deposit.

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/y...sponsibilities
Old Dec 8th 2014, 4:45 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Am I the only crazy here or does it seem impossible for the past homeowner (as in no landlord) who can't seem to figure out how to find a rental (letting) in the UK? My Hunny has work (YAY!) only we might never get over there because all the places want six months in advance (fine) PLUS almost 1000£ Deposit PLUS NON REFUNDABLE "application fee" PER PERSON, AND PER PROPERTY?!?!

I mean, fine, if you want an admin cost, okay, but non refundable even if it is rejected? What's stopping them from pocketing the money and laughing at the pathetic Canadians trying to find a home... 300£ X 10 attempts is 3000£ not too bad for a day of NOT working...

All this BS about us working so hard to get the dog over there? Crap it, we might have to give her up just to buy some furniture since rent, fees, deposits will eat up all our savings. Dogs are nice, a fridge to put food in and a place to plunk our rears is nice too!

I am so lost and don't know what to do anymore... Is there anything I'm missing or am too stupid to see?? Why do we have to pay a month a half in deposit (incase we skip out) when we will have already paid a FULL lease six months in ADVANCE, there is no skipping out! Please someone encourage me...
Paying six months in advance is unusual, if you have a job that meets the income/rent ratio requirements. I'm surprised everyone is asking for that. Are they giving a particular reason?

1.5 months' rent as deposit is very standard. It's highly regulated now, and the money will be protected by a government scheme throughout your tenancy. So it doesn't really matter how much rent you pay up front: the deposit is something separate.

Application fees vary wildly. Some letting agents charge you a nominal fee to take the property off the market, and then a larger 'administration' fee for checking references, setting up the contract, doing inventory. It sucks and there'll hopefully be reform soon, but there's not much avoiding it now, unless you rent privately. In recent years we've paid between £95 per person to £150 per person in fees (London).

Letting agents are legally obliged to be up-front about their fees.

Re. applying for hundreds of properties and losing all your money on fees: this isn't usually how it works. What normally happens is, you identify a property you like, view it etc, and you discuss your options with the agent. All the agents we've dealt with have actually been very honest about our chances of a successful application: we have a toddler and two cats, and we've always been told straight off that no, they don't think the landlord will want that, or that they'll have to talk to him about it first.

Although I'm sure there are some very dishonest agents out there, a reputable agent will talk about stuff like this with you. It's good to develop a bit of a relationship there. If they're familiar with you, agents can be more helpful -- they want to rent out the properties, not just take an admin fee.

We have never been encouraged to apply for a property where we might be rejected. We have never applied to more than one property at a time. It's always a bit nerve-wracking as they go through all the checks, but we've never been rejected. We do pay a larger-than-usual deposit, though (2 months) to make up for having pets, but since the deposit scheme is so well-regulated now I don't have any problem with that.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 4:58 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Please someone encourage me...
I forgot the encouragement: well, at some point you'll go cross-eyed from looking at hundreds of rental properties online, all of them in some way unsuitable, and you'll think it will absolutely never happen -- but you only have to find one, and it's there somewhere.

Also, it could be worse: in Germany you pay 2.5 months' rent as a non-refundable fee to the agent, plus your 1.5 months' deposit and first month's rent. So it costs you a billion euro, and then when you get to your new apartment there's no kitchen, because Germans like to take their fitted kitchens with them when they move. At least you're not moving to Germany.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 8:18 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Six months rental in advance does sound unusual to me, too. When we rented out our house, from last year to July this year, the agent only took a month's deposit from our tenant and a month's rent in advance. He did charge them a booking fee too, but I don't know how much that was.

The application fee sounds like a rip off. Keep looking; even though the renting situation in the UK is difficult, I'm sure you can find a more reasonable agent.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

6 months deposit is ridiculous if you can show a regular income.
usual is 1/1.5 months deposit and 1 months as security deposit.
As previously stated, the rental market is now highly regulated.

Where we came from in Lincolnshire, the standard application fee was £50 to cover credit checks, identity checks etc. Virtually all the estate agencies and letting companies charged around this figure.(They make their profit from the monthly commission on your rent).The only reason possible for a higher application fee is if the agent has to send documents etc for you to sign before you arrive back in UK.Then it should only be payable ONCE a let has been agreed.
Where are you looking in the UK to settle?How long for? Maybe one of the forum members will be able to offer local knowledge.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Leicester is where we'll be. And the company is taylor properties. The 175 is for a credit check (which he admits will come back with nothing since we're "new") and THEN he'll speak to the landlord. The rent is 595£, deposit is 895£, six months rent up front. i hate this. Really. Seems unfair when my husband has a permanent work offer (starts today!!! )

Ps, moshi, great encouragement! at least it ain't Germany indeed!
Old Dec 8th 2014, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on DH's job and great place to live too (my old stomping ground). Just curious, are you waiting now 'til the spring before you join him? You're in Montreal, right?
Old Dec 8th 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Near Montreal, yes... And we'll be joining him in a few weeks. I can't wait to see him all the way to the spring! He left Oct 5, started new job today, December 8th. Two months... Not too shabby. I'm staying here (with friends) till after Christmas so we can have one last holiday here with out Bigs (the Littles will miss them too much otherwise).

Now we just have to get the place... And there goes the savings!
Old Dec 8th 2014, 5:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you post the questions you posted above in these forums:

Http://www.landlordzone.co.uk (Residential Letting section of the forum; initially it's difficult to find, scroll down to the bottom of the Home page and click on Forums). There is usually excellent advice there.

Also on the same website do read up on the Deposit scheme and Proscribed Information - which all Landlords or their agents must issue at the start of a new tenancy. Also read up on Section 21 - don't be alarmed, some tenants are issued this also even during a new tenancy, it is where the landlord gives notice to get his property back.

Another good source of info (but often incorrect replies are posted by people with little knowledge compared to the Landlordzone site) is the Renting and buying a house section of the forums on Money Saving Expert: Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

it may be that the agency is wary about someone just starting a new job and serving a probationary period, rather than someone whom is established in their job. Ask them to do an International credit reference check and it shouldn't cost any more than a domestic one. I did post info about this on the forum here a few months ago.

Hope this helps
Old Dec 8th 2014, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Why I asked if you were waiting, have you checked with the airlines that they will fly your dog during the winter? I was told they can refuse to accept pets if the temperature is forecast to be below some absurdly warm figure like 4 degrees. It's supposedly federal law but if you've been told otherwise, then perhaps the airlines have some workaround.

Which would be great if they have -- I can put my house back on the market and not feel like I'm trapped here 'til the spring!
Old Dec 8th 2014, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Near Montreal, yes... And we'll be joining him in a few weeks. I can't wait to see him all the way to the spring! He left Oct 5, started new job today, December 8th. Two months... Not too shabby. I'm staying here (with friends) till after Christmas so we can have one last holiday here with out Bigs (the Littles will miss them too much otherwise).

Now we just have to get the place... And there goes the savings!
We picked a house from rightmove while we were still in New Zealand. I emailed the agent and they did credit checks on us and also contacted our landlord there for a reference and my husbands work. That's all they should need.

Good Luck
Old Dec 8th 2014, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds absolutely extraordinary. It is normally very easy to rent in the UK as there is a surplus of rental housing. Are you using just regular high street estate agents or have you done something a bit different?

Landlords in the UK and their letting agents, want properties to be let that is how they make their money. They are not turning down applicants just to get administration fees, none of which the landlord would see of course.

Six months rent in advance very unusual for an employed person but a £1,000 deposit sounds very reasonable and application / administration fees are normal too but I would have thought £150 at the very most.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

PondHopper I'm sorry this has become so stressful, renting a house I fear will be one our challenges too. I have heard of the 6 month rent being asked for upfront to overcome some of the gaps that expats have.

I know its difficult not to stress about it but it will work out.

Have you tried searching for properties let by the landlord direct? I have come across some links on this forum for private rentals.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 1:43 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: HOW can we rent in the UK?!?!

To the O/P:

In lieu of paying 6 months rent upfront, does your guy have any family members (or a very good friend) who would be willing to be a guarantor? This is where if you default on your rent payments, the landlord can chase up your guarantor to pay up.

Obviously many people are unwilling or unable to be a guarantor, but if they are sufficiently confident that you are of good character and won't go into arrears with the rent, this could offer a solution for you. Guarantors usually have to have a credit reference check to show that they aren't bankrupt, have assets etc. and have to be resident in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.