Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How can I get my Australian wife a British Passport?

Wikiposts

How can I get my Australian wife a British Passport?

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can I get my Australian wife a British Passport?

Hi all

I'm from the UK, citizen here in Oz now. My wife is Australian and she wants to get UK citizenship as well. Is this a formality? If so, how do we go about doing it?

Thanks all and a happy new year!

Dave
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

tazgirl80 has a brilliant futuretazgirl80 has a brilliant futuretazgirl80 has a brilliant futuretazgirl80 has a brilliant futuretazgirl80 has a brilliant futuretazgirl80 has a brilliant future
Default Re: How can I get my Australian wife a British Passport?

Hi, I myself am Australian and have just become a British Citizen. My mum is british and we have lived in UK for 15 years so was really straightforward. Does your wife have a British parent?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsordave
Hi all

I'm from the UK, citizen here in Oz now. My wife is Australian and she wants to get UK citizenship as well. Is this a formality? If so, how do we go about doing it?
You can't get your wife a British passport by marriage alone (used to be the case for wives of British men, but rules changed in 1983).

Unless she has her own ties to the UK (eg a British born parent) you will need to sponsor her to live in the UK and she can become naturalised British after 3 years. Start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

If planning to leave Australia, it's recommended to get your own Australian citizenship first.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much all ... guess we have to go back to the UK for 3 years!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Tut...tut....yet another well thought out and structured reply from Kywy-Child to a very valid question.

Burt