Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to avoid the LHR/GTW/Manchester aggro

How to avoid the LHR/GTW/Manchester aggro

Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:38 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice
Default How to avoid the LHR/GTW/Manchester aggro

Once Delta merged/took over KLM and Air France a few years back, we now either fly into Charles de Gaulle or Schiphol, then get a 'local' flight to where we really want to go. Plus, you can check your hold bags through to your final destination. Okay, you take them from one carousel and chuck them on another. Plus no UK Customs.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to avoid the LHR/GTW/Manchester aggro

Not really sure I understand what you are trying to articulate here.

Delta merged/took over North West Airlines - they code-share with Air France and KLM - nothing more than that.

What/where is GTW?

Correct, no UK customs at CDG or AMS - just French or Dutch ones.

Is there a point to be made here? Is the aggro at Paris or Amsterdam less than at Heathrow or Manchester? Not in my experience (I travel to UK and Europe 6-10 times per annum).

I'm all confused.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:32 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles

Delta merged/took over North West Airlines - they code-share with Air France and KLM - nothing more than that.

What/where is GTW?

Is there a point to be made here? Is the aggro at Paris or Amsterdam less than at Heathrow or Manchester? Not in my experience (I travel to UK and Europe 6-10 times per annum).

I'm all confused.
Sorry about your confusion. The airline politics aside, Heathrow, Manchester and Gatwick, my family and I find, are nowhere near any place we want to be, added to which, there's always more aggravation with people in general at these hubs. Maybe living in laid back rural Georgia we have forgotten how generally rude and aggressive people are at these places, not to mention the way most of the locals drive.
You travel more than we do, so maybe you don't notice it any more. But anyway, we avoid the 3 mentioned above like the pox!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What/where is GTW?

I'm all confused.
Are you kidding me...fly to Paris or Amsterdam when one can fly direct into Manchester...why would anyone want to do that?
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I fly when possible from SFO to a US hub like Minneapolis then into Schipol then Norwich must better if you come from Norfolk all depends where you want to get to in Blighty...
As JG said when in gods name would you want to not just fly to Manchester direct!!

Late Edit..No customs thats a new one on me even the back and beyond of Nowich Airport has Immigration and customs control.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 8:58 pm
MCROW

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you kidding me...fly to Paris or Amsterdam when one can fly direct into Manchester...why would anyone want to do that?
Well, I come from Hampshire, but lived in Dorset. My wife is Irish but her family are in Cardiff, and Cornwall.
I suppose I don't like dealing with certain groups of people. Airports are places to get angry in. I've had enough anger in my life. I try not to fly commercial if I can avoid it. When I went to the Gulf last time, I was offered commercial or military. I went military, no TSA idiots.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us can't fly direct to Manchester. Or anywhere other than LHR in fact. If my destination is Manchester, Birmingham or Edinburgh, changing in Paris or - preferably - Amsterdam is pleasanter than dealing with Heathrow.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Some of us can't fly direct to Manchester. Or anywhere other than LHR in fact. If my destination is Manchester, Birmingham or Edinburgh, changing in Paris or - preferably - Amsterdam is pleasanter than dealing with Heathrow.
I realise not everyone can fly direct and if that's the case flying into another airport is the only alternative...but the OP wasn't about that. Manchester wasn't the only airport the OP mentioned...he also said Heathrow and Gatwick. I mentioned Manchester because that's the one I fly to...Newark to Manchester direct.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

This is quite funny, perhaps its because I used to travel all the time (like George Clooney in "Up in the Air" - just minus the good looks.......)

I find airports very comforting and intersting places - especially drinking champagne in the BA lounge, using business access to get thorugh security quickly and Iris in the UK! :-)

I'm sure when I lose my BA status I will hate it! LOL
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:10 pm
MCROW

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
To which I can only say "AMEN"
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I realise not everyone can fly direct and if that's the case flying into another airport is the only alternative...but the OP wasn't about that. Manchester wasn't the only airport the OP mentioned...he also said Heathrow and Gatwick. I mentioned Manchester because that's the one I fly to...Newark to Manchester direct.
He said "Heathrow, Manchester and Gatwick, my family and I find, are nowhere near any place we want to be. So he's talking about ending up at an airport in the UK other than those three, so he has a good point imo. For me, if I want to end up in the London area, I'll fly non-stop to LHR; if I want to end up elsewhere in the UK, my preference is to make the required change other than at Heathrow.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 19th 2011 at 9:16 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

What/where is GTW?
Holesov (GTW) Czech Republic. Yes, it's a dump (probably) and not worth flying through.

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Late Edit..No customs thats a new one on me even the back and beyond of Nowich Airport has Immigration and customs control.
Bristol had a Big Red Telephone last time I was there for those wishing to declare goods in customs (ie the red channel). Strangely never saw anyone use it. Mind you, this is the same airport that directed us from a Newcastle flight into international arrivals.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:28 pm
MCROW

Originally Posted by NSBlake
This is quite funny, perhaps its because I used to travel all the time (like George Clooney in "Up in the Air" - just minus the good looks.......)

I find airports very comforting and intersting places - especially drinking champagne in the BA lounge, using business access to get thorugh security quickly and Iris in the UK! :-)

I'm sure when I lose my BA status I will hate it! LOL
I still fly up the front, having given up 'strap hanging' in the back 30 years ago. But I still have no patience with the TSA people who seemed to have failed the aptitude test at Macdonalds for flipping burgers.
Last year our local DTF interviewed two guys for working narcotics. Both failed. Two months later they were both TSA "Inspectors" at Savannah International Airport! They, TSA, are in my opinion a waste of time and money as there's no such thing as a secure airport in the US, with them or without them. I could go on, but I won't. And yes, it is something I know a lot about as it is what brought me here in the first place.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:34 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Holesov (GTW) Czech Republic. Yes, it's a dump (probably) and not worth flying through.

Bristol had a Big Red Telephone last time I was there for those wishing to declare goods in customs (ie the red channel). Strangely never saw anyone use it. Mind you, this is the same airport that directed us from a Newcastle flight into international arrivals.
I have 20 cases of Rolexs watchs and a a few grand stashed in a holdall that I would like to declare please bet the phone has cobwebs lol.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
I still fly up the front, having given up 'strap hanging' in the back 30 years ago. But I still have no patience with the TSA people who seemed to have failed the aptitude test at Macdonalds for flipping burgers.
Last year our local DTF interviewed two guys for working narcotics. Both failed. Two months later they were both TSA "Inspectors" at Savannah International Airport! They, TSA, are in my opinion a waste of time and money as there's no such thing as a secure airport in the US, with them or without them. I could go on, but I won't. And yes, it is something I know a lot about as it is what brought me here in the first place.
I quite agree about TSA muppets - but I just remove my shoes and belt and have everything (ipod, wtach etc) in my carry on - all over very quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.