Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to avoid the LHR/GTW/Manchester aggro

How to avoid the LHR/GTW/Manchester aggro

Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to avoid the LHR/GTW/Manchester aggro

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Now when I fly SFO via Amsterdam to Norwich its easily $300 more then flying into LHR.
Interesting, I used to get good deals flying United/BMI via Chicago a few years ago now I get the cheapest deals going via AMS. I also used to get a better deal flying into Teeside instead of Newcastle now the opposite is true.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:25 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Interesting, I used to get good deals flying United/BMI via Chicago a few years ago now I get the cheapest deals going via AMS. I also used to get a better deal flying into Teeside instead of Newcastle now the opposite is true.
I normally pay the extra because by the time you drive which is about 3 hrs from LHR and the gas is expensive as we know it really is better to just soak it up.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Now when I fly SFO via Amsterdam to Norwich its easily $300 more then flying into LHR.
Yes, it is more expensive but by the time I take into account train fares and taxis there is not much in it. I don't rent a car and drive up from LHR as I am always too knackered for the 3-4 hour drive. Plus, going to LHR can add another 5 hours to my journey. It would be the cheapest way for sure if I rented a car but for ease and convenience, for me its via Amsterdam to Humberside.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I normally pay the extra because by the time you drive which is about 3 hrs from LHR and the gas is expensive as we know it really is better to just soak it up.
It is actually cheaper for me to fly from my local airport (Grand Rapids) into Newcastle via Amsterdam then it would be to fly from Detroit direct to Heathrow. There is approx $200 difference in the ticket price, plus it is about a 6 hour drive from London to my sisters house, like you said with the price of petrol it is just not worth doing a direct flight.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:26 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

It is actually cheaper for me to fly from my local airport (Grand Rapids) into Newcastle via Amsterdam then it would be to fly from Detroit direct to Heathrow. There is approx $200 difference in the ticket price, plus it is about a 6 hour drive from London to my sisters house, like you said with the price of petrol it is just not worth doing a direct flight.
Wish Stansted had direct flights from the US well from SFO at least or SMF (Sacramento)
Old Apr 20th 2011, 7:57 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

I've had a similar thing flying from either Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids into either Detroit, Minneapolis or Chicago and then into Manchester via AMS. Strangely worked out cheaper. Although last week we flew GRR - DTW - LHR and all was good (with Delta on air miles). Through immigration with bags within 20 minutes.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Wish Stansted had direct flights from the US well from SFO at least or SMF (Sacramento)
I'd take a non-stop from SFO to at least somewhere else in the UK than LHR!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Flights (long haul) are often cheaper through Amsterdam/France or Germany because you pay less fees/taxes when flying into the UK from Europe verses the US.

When I flew over in Feb it would have cost me more to fly from Chicago to Heathrow than it did fly from GR to Newcastle, via Amsterdam.
The OP didn't say anything about price...he prefers flying into France or Amsterdam to avoid 'aggro' at UK customs/immigration.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:46 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP didn't say anything about price...he prefers flying into France or Amsterdam to avoid 'aggro' at UK customs/immigration.
And then flying to a small airport nearer where I really want to be.
I used to HAVE to go to London, but now I can't think of a reason why I would WANT to go there.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 8:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
And then flying to a small airport nearer where I really want to be.
I used to HAVE to go to London, but now I can't think of a reason why I would WANT to go there.
It makes no difference where I am flying...I prefer to fly non-stop. If I can't then I probably won't go. Just personal preference.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:05 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you kidding me...fly to Paris or Amsterdam when one can fly direct into Manchester...why would anyone want to do that?
Because there's a Van Gogh exhibition at Schipol
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather fly to Manchester via Buenos Airies than Heathrow. - FACT.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:12 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I want Sacramento to Man direct please There was a SMF to Vegas to Man for a while I never got to try it.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Do they even fly anywhere else than LHR direct from SFO? I think theres no option than LHR anymore.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Do they even fly anywhere else than LHR direct from SFO? I think theres no option than LHR anymore.
There's only been LHR non-stop the whole time I've lived here. In fact, I think that's true of the west coast in general. I guess Las Vegas is the nearest place with flights to elsewhere.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There is no point in me going to somewhere else in the UK then LHR I would be working backwards, the flight from Schipol to Norwich is 30mins most times depending on the tail wind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.