Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Housing too expensive in UK?

Housing too expensive in UK?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing too expensive in UK?

Originally Posted by Tableland
Unless your great Aunt Celia leaves you £300,000 before you get to the UK, the following maxim applies: if you like an English house, you can't afford it, and if you can afford an English house, you don't want to live there. Even crapholes in the most disgusting areas of town are now out of everyone's reach.

The media is doing its utmost to induce a crash so it has an exciting news cycle, and it is doing this by publishing totally groundless and irresponsible scare stories just about every day to the effect that a crash is imminent.

It is not. There will not be a crash in Britain any time soon and those waiting for one had better get comfortable.

We are planning on letting our home out long-term (10 years, etc) as it simply will not sell in this market. I think we've had something like 30 viewers in 10 months. Nothing round here is shifting because everyone thinks a crash is imminent. When it's not.
Interesting...last January we were looking at properties in the Chester area...many had been on the market for 6 to 9 months but no one was willing to reduce the price. Made another trip back to the UK in October...same properties still for sale but again the owners are not prepared to drop the price...even for a purchaser who hasn't got a home to sell.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:23 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Interesting...last January we were looking at properties in the Chester area...many had been on the market for 6 to 9 months but no one was willing to reduce the price. Made another trip back to the UK in October...same properties still for sale but again the owners are not prepared to drop the price...even for a purchaser who hasn't got a home to sell.
I remember the last crash. Greedy sellers came unstuck by the shed load. If a house is on the market for nine to eighteen months - it is not worth what you are asking for it. People will only pay what something is actually worth to them in the current market. Houses I looked at a year ago in the UK are also still on the market, some at £25k less than they were then. I had one seller contact me over the weekend asking if I still wanted to put in an offer at the lower asking price I had offered a year ago. I said no, and told him that I would look at it again when I was home. I won't give him even the lower price now, it's a buyers market in most places.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dingbat
I remember the last crash. Greedy sellers came unstuck by the shed load. If a house is on the market for nine to eighteen months - it is not worth what you are asking for it. People will only pay what something is actually worth to them in the current market. Houses I looked at a year ago in the UK are also still on the market, some at £25k less than they were then. I had one seller contact me over the weekend asking if I still wanted to put in an offer at the lower asking price I had offered a year ago. I said no, and told him that I would look at it again when I was home. I won't give him even the lower price now, it's a buyers market in most places.
dingbat
When we sold our house in Canada 2 years ago the Real Estate Agent gave us valuations/time to sell. Bottom price was sell it within a week, top price was 6-12 months. There was about £30K($60K) difference. So we went for selling valuation with 6 weeks and we sold it within 5 weeks. We could of held out for another £30K , but then it would not sold as quick and would mess up our moving time table.

Our view if you do not sell you house in a few months it either too expensive or there is something wrong with the house.

I was working in the NE of England in my last job and the houses we looked at a year ago listed for £285k-£315k are still for sale but some have been reduced to £240-£270K. So my view is that they were not worth what they had been asking for.

I agree its a buyers market in most areas, so we plan to get a decent deal not being in a chain.

Have you checked out this website for UK housing trends.

Good for seeing what is happening in the UK housing market.

www.propertysnake.co.uk

hudd
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

A house is worth what the market is willing to pay. If it doesn't sell it's over priced.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Good, buyers market is just what i need. If a buyer is not willing to drop their price, then they are abviously not that desperate to move, unless they are just plain greedy.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

The difference this time is that employment remains high so people don't have to sell. Last time around lots of people lost their jobs and were forced to sell which depressed housing prices. Unless intrest rates go up enough to push a lot of people out of their properties or people start loosing jobs in large numbers then there is no reason for prices to go down significantly.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

But people arent losing their jobs in the US and house prices are crashing there. The same in Ireland. Why should the UK be immune from a downward movement in property values.

10 out of 10 for optimism though.

Anyone who buys a property in the UK now would be mad - 100% guaranteed you will pay less for it in 12 months time
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:08 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawk2005
But people arent losing their jobs in the US and house prices are crashing there. The same in Ireland. Why should the UK be immune from a downward movement in property values.

Anyone who buys a property in the UK now would be mad - 100% guaranteed you will pay less for it in 12 months time
You beat me to it. People were not losing jobs last time there was a crash. Consumer greed, Thatcher, the banks inadvisable lending, and dodgy sub-prime lending did the trick. A crap house in a crap area will not sell. A nice house in a good area will - if there is enough demand for it, regardless of the Colin and Justin makeover tricks. If a nice house in a nice area is not selling....duh......
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

You beat me to it. People were not losing jobs last time there was a crash. Consumer greed, Thatcher, the banks inadvisable lending, and dodgy sub-prime lending did the trick. A crap house in a crap area will not sell. A nice house in a good area will - if there is enough demand for it, regardless of the Colin and Justin makeover tricks. If a nice house in a nice area is not selling....duh......
I partly agree, but I think it's more complicated than that. Until very recently people were borrowing nine times their salaries in some cases to buy properties. This would never happen if common sense prevailed. The fact is people will pay anything for a house if they think it will rise in value post-purchase.

The best bet is keep hold of your properties and let them out long-term. They will go down if there's a crash, but the general trend over decades is recovery after crashes and then continued increase in prices. I guess this is obvious or we'd all be paying £4000 for a house. I know landlords hanging on to properties is part of the problem, but that's the smart thing to do if you can't sell before a crash.

Also, I add again that I'm not sure there's going to be a "crash" in early 1990s style. The economy is very different now. Britain has a population increase of 500 people a day and they all need somewhere to live. While this demand continues, and the government keeps on dithering about building new homes, a crash is impossible.

The best you'll get is stagnation.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawk2005

I agree...thats 99% reading the papers and 1% hope!! We sold (and this is our luck) just as house prices fell when we were coming over to Aus....we bought in Aus just as house prices were increasing and now we are selling just as they market has "stalled"!!!! so hoping that for once lady luck will be with us and we can buy something nice/large, great area for a good price....well I can hope.....amd i is Christmas time!!! good will and all that
We are returning hopefully in March 08 and we do want our own home asap but we will rent and see how the market is going.....
Good luck to everyone and lets hope we all get fab prices for our homes where we are now and get excellent homes for cheap prices in the U.K....a girl can dream!!!!
Jackie
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie have you bought your tickets to leave and where in Manchester are you thinking of renting?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
I partly agree, but I think it's more complicated than that. Until very recently people were borrowing nine times their salaries in some cases to buy properties. This would never happen if common sense prevailed. The fact is people will pay anything for a house if they think it will rise in value post-purchase.

The best bet is keep hold of your properties and let them out long-term. They will go down if there's a crash, but the general trend over decades is recovery after crashes and then continued increase in prices. I guess this is obvious or we'd all be paying £4000 for a house. I know landlords hanging on to properties is part of the problem, but that's the smart thing to do if you can't sell before a crash.

Also, I add again that I'm not sure there's going to be a "crash" in early 1990s style. The economy is very different now. Britain has a population increase of 500 people a day and they all need somewhere to live. While this demand continues, and the government keeps on dithering about building new homes, a crash is impossible.

The best you'll get is stagnation.
Easier said than done. Many lenders don't like you renting out your house for prolonged periods, besides which for any property bought in the not-too-distant past, you'd never cover your mortgage renting it out.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
Easier said than done. Many lenders don't like you renting out your house for prolonged periods, besides which for any property bought in the not-too-distant past, you'd never cover your mortgage renting it out.

I wouldn't of thought the lender could care less so long as they were getting there money.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
Jackie have you bought your tickets to leave and where in Manchester are you thinking of renting?
No not yet, we are going to put our home up for sale straight after New Year and hopefully leave March/April, we are just waiting on a college to get back to us for our eldest son (16) and my husband still has to finish his course here in Aus. We will stay with my dad at first (we are from Denton...Danebank) but we would like to look around Marple or Werneth Low area's...we lived near the "moors" before we left so are wanting to be near them again but our sons do not want to be too far from our families as they have missed them tons since living in Aus and want to be near them again...we are happy to do that.
Jackie
Old Dec 5th 2007, 6:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
I wouldn't of thought the lender could care less so long as they were getting there money.
I think many people simply don't tell their lender. My brother had to get a legal agreement written up with his lender ... check the conditions of a regular mortgage and I think you'll find I'm correct ... otherwise, why would there be a specific type of mortgage for BTL properties? (Which generally have VERY different conditoins than a regular residential mortgage).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.