Wikiposts

Housing market active...

Old May 29th 2013, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

sanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Housing market active...

We live in Dublin (East Bay CA), been here seven years now and got our green cards 18 months ago. Been trying to buy a house since then. They are like hens teeth around here. We've had to lower our expectations somewhat based on availability. With each bid weve increased our offer over the asking price. Today's bid will be $80k over the asking. The last house we were interested in the realtor suggested we offer $125k over the asking. WTF! It was forty years old on mid Dublin, and needed some work on it. I just couldn't bring myself to make that offer. Facebook and Google staff are turning up with cash offers, houses go in a couple of days after multiple offers. It's crazy and frustrating. I wish that our landlord would just sell our rented townhouse to us which is one minutes walk from our girls school, has pool access and five minutes walk from the park.
Old May 29th 2013, 7:26 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Housing market is insane here, houses are selling within hours, with multiple offers, above asking price, and many are cash buyers

I dream of being able to buy a house here, we're still waiting for green cards, and I have no idea how we would gather a 20% deposit. If we were in a position to buy a house at the moment I would have loved a house listed a couple of weeks ago. However, it was listed on the Friday afternoon, with an open house over the weekend. The Trulia estimate was $1,271,000, and I think it was listed at $1,250,000. It sold with 21 offers for $1,501,000 (it was only 1,700 sq ft)
Old May 29th 2013, 7:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And then on the other spectrum. A gorgeous 4 bed, 4 bath house around the corner from us that's a smidge under 4K sq/ft has been on the market a little over a year and it looks in great shape and the price has lowered to $350K

It's had a $35K and $40K drops in price in the last 2 six month periods and sold 10 years ago for $450K.

It's electric heat though which is killing the place big time, but that's much better than oil I suppose.
Old May 29th 2013, 10:47 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Well, seems that house prices are officially moving upward all over the country! An article titled 'Home Prices Rise, Putting Country in Buying Mood' on the front page of the New York Times yesterday noted:

The latest sign emerged Tuesday as the Standard & Poor’s Case-Shiller home price index posted the biggest gains in seven years. Housing prices rose in every one of the 20 cities tracked, continuing a trend that began three months ago.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/bu...it_th_20130529
Old May 30th 2013, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

sanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura about

Well just heard from our realtor, we didn't get the house after bidding $70k over the asking. The winning bid was $130k over the asking, cash and they were renting it back to the current owners at below market rate.
Old May 30th 2013, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We're also in San Diego, 92117 zip code.

Properties are in escrow within 3-6 days.
Old May 30th 2013, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

they had 45 bids and it was on the market 4 days. Perhaps we should move to Texas.
Old May 30th 2013, 9:43 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sanfranjones
they had 45 bids and it was on the market 4 days. Perhaps we should move to Texas.
I've got a friend who has just bought in Pleasanton after deciding they couldn't afford/win anything here. They lost out on 2 houses, but yesterday had an asking price bid accepted on a house.
Old May 30th 2013, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I think part of the feeding frenzy is that mortgage rates are finally rising and people want to get in before they rise more. Realtors aren't exactly slow in peddling their "buy now or be priced out forever" line". Personally, I'm undecided whether the frenzy will last. I read an article last week about how one large investor has stopped buying because they feel there's so much "stupid money" being thrown at residential property. Otoh, foreclosures are way down in the west, so that's one factor that makes the market a lot more robust.
Old May 30th 2013, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Great news for them, we'd happily buy in Pleasanton. We've already bid twice there. Our problem is all the Silly Valley people buying up 'cause they cant afford down there.
Old May 30th 2013, 9:52 am

Great news for them, we'd happily buy in Pleasanton. We've already bid twice there. Our problem is all the Silly Valley people buying up 'cause they cant afford down there.
Sorry, I want them all to move out there, and then I might be able to get something here
Old May 30th 2013, 10:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well just heard from our realtor, we didn't get the house after bidding $70k over the asking. The winning bid was $130k over the asking, cash and they were renting it back to the current owners at below market rate.
Sorry to hear of your problem, it echos the problems I had in NY (NYC suburbs) in 2002-03 when the market was moving away from me and I couldn't buy because I hadn't been able to sell my house in London. After 8 months, and with no prospect of affording an acceptable house within a two hour (each way) commute we said **** it! and left.
Old May 31st 2013, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Very tempted, but would be hard to leave the CA weather now that we've he spoiled plus the Mrs just got a job here at our daughters school.
Old May 31st 2013, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sorry to hear of your problem, it echos the problems I had in NY (NYC suburbs) in 2002-03 when the market was moving away from me and I couldn't buy because I hadn't been able to sell my house in London. After 8 months, and with no prospect of affording an acceptable house within a two hour (each way) commute we said **** it! and left.
We are in lower Westchester and its getting a little crazy here again now, we have finally had an offer accepted on a house after seeing 4 slip away from us in the past month with offers we were unable to compete with. Our competition is families moving to the burbs from the city with pre K children to get to a decent school district. We went to one open house and there were about 9 couples all with toddlers looking to move out of Manhattan.
Old May 31st 2013, 8:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you didn't get it.
I hope things in our neighborhood are as fast moving, but I somehow doubt it. We are putting our little house up in a couple of weeks. (Dh is still doing touch ups)
Maybe we wil be back in UK in time to get Dd into school in September after all. That was the goal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.