Wikiposts

Housing market active...

Old May 23rd 2013, 3:11 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing market active...

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The new servicing agent doesn't have a good rep, apparently. So they are trying to change and the intro email we got the other day stated that with new transfers, there would be no penalties for 60 days until things were smoothed out with the transfer. Hopefully it goes smoothly, but I still think they're all a bunch of money grubbing twats.
Well, of course they are, that's the business they are in ...

We still haven't got our letter from them yet but my wife spoke to someone on the phone who explained everything pretty clearly to her. We got one of the dodgy ones but as we pay electronically, they are unable to hold payments.

My wife works in a bank though, so we have the option of refinancing throught them, which we were thinking about anyway. Having said that, we worked out that with our property taxes going down (by almost a grand a year ) and a few other things, our mortgage payment should drop by about $100.00/month, which is nice.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not sure what you think the problem is, because most banks, including mid-large banks, and the federal housing agencies (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc), sell off the servicing rights to the highest bidder, and have done so for decades. I don't care where I send my mortgage payment, or who processes it, it makes no difference to me.
The banks hold very few mortgages on their own books. I think the government still ends up (through Fannie Mae, FHA, Freddie Mac...) with about 80% of the mortgages either by holding or insuring them. It used to be different pre-crash, but effectively the government is propping up the mortgage market. I just refinanced and my mortgage has already been sold to Freddie Mac. I still make payments to my bank so I don't care.

As to the housing market, it's been completely insane in San Francisco for the last twelve months. I hope I'm wrong, but it almost feels like there's another bubble in prices developing here.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
We just bought a house. (Yay!) We started the process a while ago, and have been through a few twists & turns, so I'm not sure how indicative our house purchase is of the present housing market in our area.

We got our house for well below asking price. We had thorough inspections done & based on the findings put in a substantially lower offer. After a lot of back-&-forthing the sellers agreed.

However...we are on a section of the coast with lots of second-home and summer-home stock. I think the market is still slower in this area, as even well-to-do people are no longer snapping up second homes the way they used to in the heady days before the housing crash.
I think the market in our area (Westchester County, NY) is only just beginning to turn around. We got our house for about 15% under asking price. It's a fixer upper (203K renovation mortgages FTW!) and it took ages to close, partly our lender was slow but partly because the seller had to do remedial work before the village would issue a Certificate of Occupancy allowing it to be sold. Watching the MLS sites, it does appear houses are selling here, but they can take a while and aren't going for more than asking price if that.

We just spotted another fixer-upper near us but in a posher sub-division which has an asking price probably half of its last assessed value (we bought ours for about 2/3 of last assessed value). If we had the capital we'd be tempted to enter the flipping game!
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The banks hold very few mortgages on their own books. I think the government still ends up (through Fannie Mae, FHA, Freddie Mac...) with about 80% of the mortgages either by holding or insuring them. It used to be different pre-crash, but effectively the government is propping up the mortgage market. I just refinanced and my mortgage has already been sold to Freddie Mac. I still make payments to my bank so I don't care.

As to the housing market, it's been completely insane in San Francisco for the last twelve months. I hope I'm wrong, but it almost feels like there's another bubble in prices developing here.
Or Fannie Mae or Freddy Mac securitizes them and sells them through wall street (over 98% of the Mortgage Back Securities issued since the crash). Although Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac can currently get very cheap short term money (up to 5 years in duration but higher profits if shorter) and make a large profit, hopefully they securitize most of the mortgages otherwise they'll have another major problem when interest rates eventually rise and can no longer get cheap short term money.

Last edited by Michael; May 23rd 2013 at 4:45 am.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:59 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Homes in my area are selling as quickly as 2 or 3 days at the asking price.

How quickly in your area?

Prices are steadily increasing here, but not too fast, yet.

What about your area?
Same over our side of the Willamette. Apparently there is only a 3months supply of houses on the market in the Portland Metro area. In Happy Valley the house builders are snapping up land and getting ready to build again.
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Locally, depends.

Some houses have sold in days while some others have been on the market for months. There's one house up the road that's been on the market most of the year.

Seems to slow down a little in the summer as people move in to the area and rent while there's a lot of rental going, but buy more in winter as it's a challenge to find a place during the winter months.
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Locally, depends.

Some houses have sold in days while some others have been on the market for months. There's one house up the road that's been on the market most of the year.

Seems to slow down a little in the summer as people move in to the area and rent while there's a lot of rental going, but buy more in winter as it's a challenge to find a place during the winter months.
In California, January through April are usually the biggest months especially in good school districts since they may have to register their children early in for the following school year to get into the school in the local catchment area.
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
In California, January through April are usually the biggest months especially in good school districts since they may have to register their children early in for the following school year to get into the school in the local catchment area.
Down here, most landlords will have a tenant on a lease till after April, don't tend to find many rentals till June because they can't evict people for non-payment till end of March or April because of the winter.

Getting into the local school is less of a issue down this way. It is for kindergarten though as there aren't many places offering full day and then it's a lottery for AM/PM spots.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

The market here in Bend, Oregon, is very volatile. Prices went through the roof from 2004 to 2007 and then crashed hard in 2008. Ours crashed in value from $480,000 (next door, which is a little smaller sold in the peak for $450,000) down to $150,000. Depending on which real state mouthpiece is on the news on any day, values are projected to rise 20% to 40% this year. Inventory is reportedly down to about 20 days. We're seriously thinking about selling up and getting out this summer.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Or Fannie Mae or Freddy Mac securitizes them and sells them through wall street (over 98% of the Mortgage Back Securities issued since the crash). Although Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac can currently get very cheap short term money (up to 5 years in duration but higher profits if shorter) and make a large profit, hopefully they securitize most of the mortgages otherwise they'll have another major problem when interest rates eventually rise and can no longer get cheap short term money.
I don't know about the housing market, but I know the mortgage market is back in business. Today I processed 135 wires for mortgages. Approx 30 were purchases, 30 refinances and the rest are banks etc re selling the loan to other banks/servicers.
Old May 24th 2013, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Homes in my area are selling as quickly as 2 or 3 days at the asking price.

How quickly in your area?

Prices are steadily increasing here, but not too fast, yet.

What about your area?
CRAZY is how we describe the market in Orange County. I listed a 1 bedroom, 1 bath condo with a loft for $259,900 within 4 days I had 6 offers and we sold at $295,000.

I have been working with an all cash buyer for a number of months and we have bid on 6 homes all over the asking price and we still don't have a property in escrow
Old May 24th 2013, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

The house we just bought was on the market for about a week. We saw it on the first day and put an offer in. There were fifteen other bids on it, no idea why our offer was chosen, but glad it was

We put offers in on four other houses and were outright rejected from them all.

Inventory is very low in the San Diego area and houses are being snapped up. While we were looking I made a list of thirty houses (from Zillow) that we wanted to look at. Our realtor went through the list- every single one of them was already in escrow. Crazy times!
Old May 24th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
The house we just bought was on the market for about a week. We saw it on the first day and put an offer in. There were fifteen other bids on it, no idea why our offer was chosen, but glad it was

We put offers in on four other houses and were outright rejected from them all.

Inventory is very low in the San Diego area and houses are being snapped up. While we were looking I made a list of thirty houses (from Zillow) that we wanted to look at. Our realtor went through the list- every single one of them was already in escrow. Crazy times!
The house we bought had 6 offers on it, all over asking price. Luckily our buyers agent knew the listing agent, and told her about us and that DH was going to the open house, and that we could move quickly. That was the 2nd day it was on the market. The buyers agent advised us to look on Redfin as she said they are more up to date with houses than Zillow or Trulia.
Old May 25th 2013, 11:55 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to me that the east & west coasts seem different (anecdotally here, at least), with the markets still slower in the eastern cities & burbs. I wouldn't have expected that, yet I'm glad of it since we're here on the east coast.

Maybe reflective of the economy coming back to life?
Old May 26th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Interesting to me that the east & west coasts seem different (anecdotally here, at least), with the markets still slower in the eastern cities & burbs. I wouldn't have expected that, yet I'm glad of it since we're here on the east coast.

Maybe reflective of the economy coming back to life?
I think it depends where you are on the east coast. We looked at a house yesterday that was listed on Wednesday. There had been over 40 viewings not including the brokers open house Wednesday morning and they already had 6 offers, we were told if we are interested they expect to make a decision on Tuesday and it WILL be over listing price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.