Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

House sold, flights booked, what else do we need to do??

House sold, flights booked, what else do we need to do??

Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

NotTooShabby will become famous soon enoughNotTooShabby will become famous soon enough
Default House sold, flights booked, what else do we need to do??

OK, so we sold our place in TO, closing is Dec 3rd, booked flights out of here on Dec 7th, and now we're struck with the realisation that we have to be sorted and out in 8 weeks.

So I'm thinking: gotta cancel the milk, gas, water, hydro, internet, cable, newspaper, driving licenses, tell CRA we're leaving,hand in notice at work, spend whatever's left on TimCard, drink all remaining booze, get movers in, buy more booze cause we drank what we had too quick, get rid of car, book a hotel cause were homeless for 4 days before we leave.

Did I miss anything??

PS only joking about the milk, we get those bags from loblaws.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House sold, flights booked, what else do we need to do??

Originally Posted by NotTooShabby
OK, so we sold our place in TO, closing is Dec 3rd, booked flights out of here on Dec 7th, and now we're struck with the realisation that we have to be sorted and out in 8 weeks.

So I'm thinking: gotta cancel the milk, gas, water, hydro, internet, cable, newspaper, driving licenses, tell CRA we're leaving,hand in notice at work, spend whatever's left on TimCard, drink all remaining booze, get movers in, buy more booze cause we drank what we had too quick, get rid of car, book a hotel cause were homeless for 4 days before we leave.

Did I miss anything??

PS only joking about the milk, we get those bags from loblaws.

Erm.....photocopy every single document that youve ever been issued in your life, have it signed, dated and stamped by all and sundry. Collect some faeces in a jar and away you go...................

I mean it about the documents!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

NotTooShabby will become famous soon enoughNotTooShabby will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Erm.....photocopy every single document that youve ever been issued in your life, have it signed, dated and stamped by all and sundry. Collect some faeces in a jar and away you go...................

I mean it about the documents!
Damn!! Gotta pick up some jars tomorrow.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Jack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond repute

Even though you're calling to cancel with companies etc. it might be a good idea to have your mail forwarded by Canada Post for six months or a year in case you forget something. If you already know your new address in the UK and will be providing that to the CRA and the other ones you can think of etc. I suppose it's not too important though.

Congratulations! It's a tough (and in my opinion, admirable) thing you're doing. You emigrated from the UK, lived here for a while, and just thought it was time to return, and you actually made up your mind and did it instead of dwelling on ifs and buts. I should get myself thinking the same way If you would care to share, I would be interested in learning about your particular reasons for deciding to leave Toronto, if you don't want to say here, feel free to pm me, otherwise no matter. I'm a former Londoner living here also thinking of trying returning for possibly a one year trial mid next year.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

I fly out of Australia on 6th November after living here 18 years,heading back to Scotland where i haven't lived for 32 years (since we got married)!!!

An hour ago my son came and picked up my kitty as he is going down to Perth to live with my bil and his family.It was going to cost us too much to take him back and we will be living with different family members until we sort a house out.Well i knew he was going, but i really cried when i had to give him to my son.Wasn't really prepared for it,god knows what it will be like saying goodbye to my kids and the grandies.

I have lists all over the place with "things to do before".Our packers have to be paid on Friday also have to sort out money for quarterly tax bill and gst(bugger),Did the accounts this morning.Just hope A$ gets better still and i dont stuff up transfer with Ozforex .

Keep thinking i may have forgotten something, but no doubt i will remember sitting on the plane.(like forgetting tent pegs when going camping ).
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jack1
Even though you're calling to cancel with companies etc. it might be a good idea to have your mail forwarded by Canada Post for six months or a year in case you forget something. If you already know your new address in the UK and will be providing that to the CRA and the other ones you can think of etc. I suppose it's not too important though.

Congratulations! It's a tough (and in my opinion, admirable) thing you're doing. You emigrated from the UK, lived here for a while, and just thought it was time to return, and you actually made up your mind and did it instead of dwelling on ifs and buts. I should get myself thinking the same way If you would care to share, I would be interested in learning about your particular reasons for deciding to leave Toronto, if you don't want to say here, feel free to pm me, otherwise no matter. I'm a former Londoner living here also thinking of trying returning for possibly a one year trial mid next year.

Reasons for leaving? Probably the same reasons that brought us here in the first place. Just the desire to change our lives and do something different. We didn't hate living in England and we don't hate living here. Moving to Canada was a bit of an adventure for us but after 6 years we find ourselves back in same old routine of going to work, paying the bills, shoveling snow etc. Obviously that will be the case wherever we live (well maybe not the shoveling) but when we weighed up the pros and cons we just felt we would be happier back in Blighty and we decided if we're going to go then now is the time to do it.

Current exchange rates and TO vs UK housing market presented an opportunity for us to be able to move back without taking a huge financial hit and we decided to go for it. So far everything is falling into place nicely. House sold in 2 days for $59K over asking (still can't believe it) and we're hoping to pick up a bit of bargain when we get back.

All in all we've been very lucky. Six years ago we had the opportunity to move to Canada and we took it and now that we feel it's time to go home everything is working in our favour.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:13 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

$59K over is very sweet. Congratulations! Where are you going to live over here.

We've been back a month now, (from Victoria) and we're just settling into a rental in Whitby. Boxes everywhere, and most of them not in the right place because we lived the last year or so in an odd apartment so there weren't equivalent spaces.

We bought some auto transformers so we could run our computers and monitors. We didn't bring much else electrical, so we've been on a shopping binge for kettle, toaster, iron, printers, TV etc. At least the house comes with major appliances, but I think we're doing our bit for the British economy!

Bev
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bevm
$59K over is very sweet. Congratulations! Where are you going to live over here.

We've been back a month now, (from Victoria) and we're just settling into a rental in Whitby. Boxes everywhere, and most of them not in the right place because we lived the last year or so in an odd apartment so there weren't equivalent spaces.

We bought some auto transformers so we could run our computers and monitors. We didn't bring much else electrical, so we've been on a shopping binge for kettle, toaster, iron, printers, TV etc. At least the house comes with major appliances, but I think we're doing our bit for the British economy!

Bev
Another thing to add to the "To Do" list: Decide where we're going to live.

Fancy somewhere in SE, possibly Kent but no firm plans yet. Still, plenty of places where we can outstay our welcome while we decide where we want to be.

Whitby eh? I remember being there once and a seagull shat on my head while I was walking up all those steps. Wife told me it was lucky (after she managed to stop laughing)
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Don't forget proof of no claims on your car insurance in Toronto. May be worth a call to a few UK insurance companies to see if they're particular about the format for the proof of no claims documents.

Also call the UK Department of Work & Pensions to let them know when you'll be back.

Waiting for that confirmed offer on my house here in Maple Ridge, British Columbia- looks like two on the way so should know in a few days!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ciderman
Don't forget proof of no claims on your car insurance in Toronto. May be worth a call to a few UK insurance companies to see if they're particular about the format for the proof of no claims documents.

Also call the UK Department of Work & Pensions to let them know when you'll be back.

Waiting for that confirmed offer on my house here in Maple Ridge, British Columbia- looks like two on the way so should know in a few days!!!!
Nice one, it's on the list.

Good luck with the house. Where you moving to?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
I fly out of Australia on 6th November after living here 18 years,heading back to Scotland where i haven't lived for 32 years (since we got married)!!!

An hour ago my son came and picked up my kitty as he is going down to Perth to live with my bil and his family.It was going to cost us too much to take him back and we will be living with different family members until we sort a house out.Well i knew he was going, but i really cried when i had to give him to my son.Wasn't really prepared for it,god knows what it will be like saying goodbye to my kids and the grandies.

I have lists all over the place with "things to do before".Our packers have to be paid on Friday also have to sort out money for quarterly tax bill and gst(bugger),Did the accounts this morning.Just hope A$ gets better still and i dont stuff up transfer with Ozforex .

Keep thinking i may have forgotten something, but no doubt i will remember sitting on the plane.(like forgetting tent pegs when going camping ).
Aww poor pussy. Only cost me 2.5 grand for 2 pussies back to UK. I couldn't leave them in Perth, they would die of boredom
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NotTooShabby
Nice one, it's on the list.

Good luck with the house. Where you moving to?
Should be the Chippenham area in Wiltshire. We were in the UK for a holiday/reccy recently and had a good look around Wiltshire as it's a place we've always liked.

Last edited by Ciderman; Oct 6th 2009 at 4:43 pm. Reason: typo...again
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Aww poor pussy. Only cost me 2.5 grand for 2 pussies back to UK. I couldn't leave them in Perth, they would die of boredom
Know the feeling we're looking around $1200 Canadian per cat. One's a stray, outdoor cat we picked up in Alberta and the other's an indoor, cute cat. At the moment it's probably only the cute one who's coming back with us but we'll have to see how the heart strings fair nearer the time.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

$4.2 NZD for the dog our flights are cheaper and thats before kenneling this end so he does not have to go into quarantine.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Piper (cat) was going to cost us $2500,he was vacinnated as we were going to originally take him.Picked him up as a stray 2 years ago.

Just had our offer accepted on a house in Scotland.Another thing crossed off the list or as my 3 year old grandson says "check nanny".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.