Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

House rented, passport arrived and flights booked

House rented, passport arrived and flights booked

Old Aug 21st 2008, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute
Default House rented, passport arrived and flights booked

I just couldnt wait to post this to say we are finally out of here

I never thought I would be making this post but reading some other peoples leaving posts always gave me hope.

We have rented the house for a year. I have cancelled all our direct debits and austar etc and our dog is booked for the 14th of october which is on the day her quarentine runs out.

My sons passport arrived this morning and I have just finished booking the flights. We are flying out from Sydney to Abu Dabi as we are flying with Ethiad and then going to have a stop over at some lush hotel.(havent booked it yet) Then we land in Manchester on sunday night.

I cant express my feelings other than relief that its finally over and we are moving on, happiness to be going home and also a little of bit of sadness as I am gutted we havent been able to sell the house and now have to rent it out.

Anyway I still need to book the shippers for next friday and saturday and then we are off to Sydney for a bit of a hol before we fly out on friday. That is the 5th of september so I have left things a bit late but I have been hanging on until I had the passport in my grubby little hand.

Now we cant decide if we should use chess at $7200 for a 20ft or OSS at $7000 anybody used either?

Anyway I just need to go and check out the kennels at the airport where our doggie will be staying as we havent found anybody able to look after our toy yorkshire terrier. Boo hoo we hate leaving her.

We are all going to cry buckets when we drop her off. Hopefully they will keep her in with the cats as she is smaller than they are and has never slept outdoors in her life.

Anyway to all you guys our their nearly going home, good luck and stay strong as your day will come.

All in all I now feel its done we just need to tell the schools tomorrow and then next week is our last week in our aus house. Watch out UK we are coming back!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House rented, passport arrived and flights booked

Good luck, I'm so pleased for you. The rigmarol of 'doing it all over again' must be a right pain and I'm not looking forward to that bit - but the joy of being 'home' where you belong - wow, won't that be worth it (that's the bit I can't wait for.

Best of luck with the move - have a ball!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nicola411

I never thought I would be making this post but reading some other peoples leaving posts always gave me hope.

We have rented the house for a year. I have cancelled all our direct debits and austar etc and our dog is booked for the 14th of october which is on the day her quarentine runs out.

My sons passport arrived this morning and I have just finished booking the flights. We are flying out from Sydney to Abu Dabi as we are flying with Ethiad and then going to have a stop over at some lush hotel.(havent booked it yet) Then we land in Manchester on sunday night.

I cant express my feelings other than relief that its finally over and we are moving on, happiness to be going home and also a little of bit of sadness as I am gutted we havent been able to sell the house and now have to rent it out.

Anyway I still need to book the shippers for next friday and saturday and then we are off to Sydney for a bit of a hol before we fly out on friday. That is the 5th of september so I have left things a bit late but I have been hanging on until I had the passport in my grubby little hand.

Now we cant decide if we should use chess at $7200 for a 20ft or OSS at $7000 anybody used either?

Anyway I just need to go and check out the kennels at the airport where our doggie will be staying as we havent found anybody able to look after our toy yorkshire terrier. Boo hoo we hate leaving her.

We are all going to cry buckets when we drop her off. Hopefully they will keep her in with the cats as she is smaller than they are and has never slept outdoors in her life.

Anyway to all you guys our their nearly going home, good luck and stay strong as your day will come.

All in all I now feel its done we just need to tell the schools tomorrow and then next week is our last week in our aus house. Watch out UK we are coming back!
All the very best on your return....I bet you are sooooo excited
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Best of luck on your return home. Just think you will be home for Christmas - lovely. Too bad you are in Brisbane or I could help you out with the dog sitting - I am waiting another 5 months for my little woofers to be cleared to fly.

Have a lovely holiday in Sydney bet you enjoy it heaps more knowing that you don't "live" in Aus anymore.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow what dynamism! So glad to hear that you now see the light at the end of the tunnel and that the passports made it on time. You must be absolutely thrilled that it is all falling into place. All the best for it to go really smoothly!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:56 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

All the best Nicola.

I think i will have to do exactly the same as you, by renting out my house.

Keep us all up to date.xx
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Beverley 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All Expats,

It is good to read that somebody has got to the end of the long road of returning to UK. It has really been a very long shlep for us, what with applying for british passports whilst living in S.Africa, and the time it took. Also regarding determination of citizenship for my daughter, the different answers we have been receiving from Home Affairs. I was born in South Africa, I have an ID, my son has an ID by decent but now Home Affairs are saying they are not sure if my daughter can have an ID document, I'm confused, where do I go from here?? I would be very grateful for any help from anybody who maybe has experienced the same thing.:
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nicola411
Good for you, girl!! Make sure you book a damn fine hotel on your way back - you deserve it! And...

HOORAY!!!!

Enjoy your last week in Oz. This isn't really living there any more, you're just on holiday and in a week's time, you'll be home.

(sorry about poor Tinks having to be in kennels, but you'll be reunited soon... and it'll be sooooooooooooo worth it!)

Love
Sarah (and Maddy and Felix who still remember Tinky!)
Old Aug 21st 2008, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic news!! You're beating me home girl!

It's such a feeling of relief isn't it when that's it...all done...we're booked to go home? No more up in the air indecision. Huge Sigh.xxx

Enjoy your break in Abu Dabi and don't worry about Tink, she'll be having a holiday too.

Keep us posted with your tales of your new adventure
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice

Thanks guys for all your replies,

This is nicola411 but I cant remember my passwords so I am using my work log in, sorry for the confusion

3 go mad in Adelaide - yes it is a pain packing up but to be honest I am more worried about the kids getting back into their old school then packing

Islandergirl - Thanks for the offer for Tinky, I wish you were closer too Its so hard leaving her here even if it is just for over a month, we will miss her so much.

Quoll - yes I am pleased and cant wait to yell - I am not a celebrity but get me out of here.

Nu Shooz - yeah it was not our first choice to rent but it was either that or stay here indefinitley, and I really want to be home for xmas. I didnt realise it would rent the first week we had it on the market. I would have still preferred for it to be sold though, but I cant complain and at least its rented.

Sarah - can you believe it we land in manchester on sunday morning and we are straight off to Nats sisters daughters christening. At least we will be home even though without our little tinks Gosh I must admit getting Rileys passport yesterday was so quick. People posted on here dont bother ringing the $9.70 phone line it doesnt work. Well let me tell you it bloody does. Heehee How are you getting on in your new job?
love nicola

Traceyw - I know I cant believe I am beating you home. Has your house sale gone through or are they still playing silly buggers? I just want a bit of heat before we get home hence Abu Dhabi

Who is everyone using for the insurance for their container and how much is it costing?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beverley 1
Hi All Expats,

It is good to read that somebody has got to the end of the long road of returning to UK. It has really been a very long shlep for us, what with applying for british passports whilst living in S.Africa, and the time it took. Also regarding determination of citizenship for my daughter, the different answers we have been receiving from Home Affairs. I was born in South Africa, I have an ID, my son has an ID by decent but now Home Affairs are saying they are not sure if my daughter can have an ID document, I'm confused, where do I go from here?? I would be very grateful for any help from anybody who maybe has experienced the same thing.:
With respect, it might help if you clarify which country's citizenship you are asking about. British or South African?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:18 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peanut21

Traceyw - I know I cant believe I am beating you home. Has your house sale gone through or are they still playing silly buggers? I just want a bit of heat before we get home hence Abu Dhabi

Who is everyone using for the insurance for their container and how much is it costing?
Our house here is completed and we're renting it back from our buyers. The house in the UK is still going through although the plonker who's selling it could change his mind at any minute so we're not getting excited about that until we've exchanged.

We're going to use Letton Percival in Liverpool for our shipping insurance.