British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   house prices in uk stabalising (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/house-prices-uk-stabalising-418862/)

chance to be Jan 14th 2007 9:25 am

house prices in uk stabalising

just read this link

http://money.uk.msn.com/Mortgages/fi...mentid=2354923

about house prices and thought the other links it takes you to also might help those considering moving back

c

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 14th 2007 9:42 am

Re: house prices in uk stabalising

Originally Posted by chance to be (Post 4282216)
just read this link

about house prices and thought the other links it takes you to also might help those considering moving back

c

Sod stabalising... what I need is a good old fashioned crash. If that happens I might even be able to buy back the house I sold to get here.

chance to be Jan 14th 2007 9:48 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 4282256)
Sod stabalising... what I need is a good old fashioned crash. If that happens I might even be able to buy back the house I sold to get here.

i bloody hope not! i bit the bullet and bought, thinking they may keep going up! and im paying nearly double the mortgage to what i was a year and a half ago when i sold to finance the move to oz:scared:
skint enough as is it!

Miss Naughty Jan 14th 2007 9:50 am

Originally Posted by chance to be (Post 4282216)
just read this link

c

Hi,
They might be stabilizing but they are still OTT in price.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 14th 2007 9:51 am

Originally Posted by chance to be (Post 4282271)
i bloody hope not! i bit the bullet and bought, thinking they may keep going up! and im paying nearly double the mortgage to what i was a year and a half ago when i sold to finance the move to oz:scared:
skint enough as is it!

Crap innit...:(
I'm hoping for a crash and your hoping for the boom to continue... and both of us are doing it because we went to Oz..

chance to be Jan 14th 2007 9:52 am

oh yes, well overpriced but things going up the world over so dont think anythink will change that....
c

chance to be Jan 14th 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 4282282)
Crap innit...:(
I'm hoping for a crash and your hoping for the boom to continue... and both of us are doing it because we went to Oz..

i know. its mad:( i pay £1,200 nearly a month for (its nice and in nice area) but only 3 bed house! couldnt afford to buy in oz as wages were so crap, so wasnt any better off there - but FFS, cant walk down my old street and see my lovely old house i was paying £700 mortgage for a mnth before we left.
Bugger!

dunroving Jan 14th 2007 9:57 am

The sad thing is that if we (presumably mostly professionals) are struggling, the poor buggers at the bottom of the food chain have no chance ...

chance to be Jan 14th 2007 10:02 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 4282302)
The sad thing is that if we (presumably mostly professionals) are struggling, the poor buggers at the bottom of the food chain have no chance ...

yes, and it goes against all my principals to NOT hope for a crash because I worry about how those who cant get a decent wage and how they survive....
I will just have to win the lottery, pay off my mortgage then I wont care if it crashes and feel happier about my values again:)

dunroving Jan 14th 2007 10:03 am

Quote from the Tesco article: "because the first-time buyer borrowing 4.5 times his or her income will use over a quarter of net income in mortgage repayments"

- err, I think they mean 50% of net income, don't they? I just ran a quick check, and that's what I got, anyway.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Jan 14th 2007 10:04 am

Originally Posted by chance to be (Post 4282297)
i know. its mad:( i pay £1,200 nearly a month for (its nice and in nice area) but only 3 bed house! couldnt afford to buy in oz as wages were so crap, so wasnt any better off there - but FFS, cant walk down my old street and see my lovely old house i was paying £700 mortgage for a mnth before we left.
Bugger!

Couldn't bear to see my old house in South Gloucs.. I know I can't afford it now unless there is a colapse in the market.. probably be moving back closer to our original home in the Manchester area.

dunroving Jan 14th 2007 10:08 am

Originally Posted by chance to be (Post 4282314)
yes, and it goes against all my principals to NOT hope for a crash because I worry about how those who cant get a decent wage and how they survive....
I will just have to win the lottery, pay off my mortgage then I wont care if it crashes and feel happier about my values again:)

Of course the other option is to hope for wage inflation. That way, you don't end up with negative equity, but people can afford houses ... except I'm sure inflation would be quickly followed by house price rises so there's no winning for losing ... :(

Miss Naughty Jan 14th 2007 10:10 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 4282324)
Couldn't bear to see my old house in South Gloucs.. I know I can't afford it now unless there is a colapse in the market.. probably be moving back closer to our original home in the Manchester area.

The first house i bought in 2001 we bought it for 38,000 now they are worth £140.000. mortgage payment of 240.00, wish i would of kept the thing now

dunroving Jan 14th 2007 10:11 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 4282324)

Yes, I'm moving back to the same street north of Glasgow that I lived on before in 2000 (renting a former council terraced). Back then they were selling for 20,000 to 50,000. I'll be moving into one that I just had to offer 165,000 for, in order to get it ... :mad:

davo453 Jan 14th 2007 10:18 am

If your into doom and gloom or not depending on your perspective, then this is worth a look for more statistics, articles and opinions than you could poke a stick at

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/

Dave