Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

house prices in uk stabalising

house prices in uk stabalising

Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:45 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: house prices in uk stabalising

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Crap innit...
I'm hoping for a crash and your hoping for the boom to continue... and both of us are doing it because we went to Oz..
.....don't forget little 'ol me........all in the same boat.

Sparkle
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
i personally would like to see all the green areas be developed into large concrete blocks of soviet style apartment buildings. start building outwards and upwards until the whole of the UK looks like houston.

your posts are always so positive
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:58 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

I feel quite sad reading all these threads. Most of us left the UK for a better life and thought we were all going for ever. In such a short space of time the majority of us are back home and trying to pick up the pieces. It saddens me to when I think about our home we sold to finance the move and feel quite daunted at the prospect of getting an even bigger mortgage now we're back. However, I don't feel I'm quite 'home' yet living in this rented house and long for the day I'm in my 'own place' again where I can DIY to my hearts content and hang a picture anywhere I damn well like!

Sparkle......colour chart and hammer raring to go.....
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:00 pm
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of

i wonder how high the interest rates will be when you get back. some people are thinking 7% by the end of the year.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:38 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Personally I think that the rise in demand will balance out the drop in investment purchases. The boom in buy-to-let died down a few years ago - plenty of people who had stretched to buy 2nd properties realised that the rental income was not high enough to make it worthwhile. Rents seem to have been quite steady for a while now - certainly they have not risen as much as house prices.
As soon as investors start to off-load their properties there will be thousands of eager young people snapping them up - the market will plateau, but not crash. The only thing that might lead to a crash, IMO, would be a very steep rise in interest rates - even then lots of people are on fixed rate deals. I don't think the Bank of England is stupid enough to deliberately cause a crash. Well I hope not anyway! Although if there was a crash I'd be straight back over to buy something.
Ahh, but prices currently well exceed the means of most first time buyers, and a further hike in rates will impact them just as must as investors.
Expect a drop before the 'demand exceeds supply' factor kicks in and first timers start to snap up properties that are affordable to them.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ahh, but prices currently well exceed the means of most first time buyers, and a further hike in rates will impact them just as must as investors.
Expect a drop before the 'demand exceeds supply' factor kicks in and first timers start to snap up properties that are affordable to them.
There are still first-time buyers out there who are buying - with friends or siblings, or with support of parents.
In the meantime, those who cannot buy are renting, thus propping up the buy-to-let investors.

I maintain that there will be a plateau rather than a drop, unless there are some serious interest rate rises. As I said, I think (hope!) that the govt/bank are not that stupid. But who knows!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

davo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nicedavo453 is just really nice

7% sounds good to me with money in the bank. In contrast to most it seems, we landed in Australia with very little but leave with a fair bit.

There were times in the mid 90's were (although it wasn't even considered) a move back to the UK looked impossible.

But at the end of the day as said before if you own your won home or have a smallish mortgage on it and it is your only property. A falling housing market is not a real problem, as if you sell in that market you can still buy a home for the same money in the same market.

It's the investors that get hurt. The graph on the housepricecrash site does look over bought, corrections do happen and it's generally when most people are saying it won't happen. the 2000 tech wreck in the stock market was like that.

I wise stock market investor is reputed to have said when you find your taxi driver advising you to get into the stock market, it's probably time to sell. I think you could draw a parallel there with by to let properties.

Dave
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:07 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
I maintain that there will be a plateau rather than a drop, unless there are some serious interest rate rises. As I said, I think (hope!) that the govt/bank are not that stupid. But who knows!
Not that stupid ???
Not that stupid to have average house prices equal to 6 or 7 times the average wage ??
Not that stupid to have a significant percentage of the population rely on property for their retirement income ??
Not that stupid to allow lenders to finance ridiculous rates of lending ??

No, they wouldn't be that stupid, would they........
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:12 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

You're overlooking a large reason for the boom - people buying property for investment reasons who as a result have multiple properties - they are particularly vulnerable to interest rate rises and once the critical point is reached a lot of one-time investment properties could hit the market at once, causing a blip which will hopefully turn into a collapse.
For people with only one house this is less of a worry - you may end up with negative equity but your ability to pay your mortgage is not linked to the relative strength of the market.
Spot on. That's exactly what happened in Sydney which resulted in an average drop of 12% on units (flats). People 'buy' into the spin about negative gearing and 'double your money' rubbish. But nearly to a person they get stuck because:

a) they understand the tax advantage, but fail to realise the capital gains resonsibility.

b) they live in the better dwelling and buy a cheaper (less desirable) investment dwelling. When they should be renting out the better place, and realise better CG options.

c ) This is a big one here (can't say for UK) many people simply don't understand what they are doing and the implications of an interest rate hike (or several). They don't take the time to work out what is best for them in their situation. They just do it because 'everybody else is'.

Sydney is experiencing the highest rate of mortgagee sales on record now. 4.800 bank repossesions in 2006. Mostly happening west and north west (less desirable). But the chasm between owning a house vs a unit in the north shore or northern beaches or eastern subs (very desirable) is getting wider and that market doesn't look like crashing, but it has slowed.

Last edited by FPM; Jan 14th 2007 at 10:16 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:19 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by FPM
Spot on. That's exactly what happened in Sydney which resulted in an average drop of 12% on units (flats). People 'buy' into the spin about negative gearing and 'double your money' rubbish. But nearly to a person they get stuck because:
To be honest even if the UK does hit a blip its unlikely to wipe out anything more than the past year's gains, even if that so to be honest I'm not sure how many people would be badly hit - maybe first time buyers, but then again with only one property your losses would be minimized.
In many areas investors who got in anything prior to 2006 should be fine unless rates take several bumps.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:22 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest even if the UK does hit a blip its unlikely to wipe out anything more than the past year's gains, even if that so to be honest I'm not sure how many people would be badly hit - maybe first time buyers, but then again with only one property your losses would be minimized.
In many areas investors who got in anything prior to 2006 should be fine unless rates take several bumps.

They say here, generally pre 2003 is the key. I've always held the belief that the UK housing trend seems to be about 2yrs behind Australia. In my 18yrs here, it has been proven to be a fairly accurate measure. Although the degrees to which the changes affect the homeowners would be different.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:30 pm
Banned

moving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud ofmoving2montreal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by davo453
7% sounds good to me with money in the bank. In contrast to most it seems, we landed in Australia with very little but leave with a fair bit.

There were times in the mid 90's were (although it wasn't even considered) a move back to the UK looked impossible.

But at the end of the day as said before if you own your won home or have a smallish mortgage on it and it is your only property. A falling housing market is not a real problem, as if you sell in that market you can still buy a home for the same money in the same market.

It's the investors that get hurt. The graph on the housepricecrash site does look over bought, corrections do happen and it's generally when most people are saying it won't happen. the 2000 tech wreck in the stock market was like that.

I wise stock market investor is reputed to have said when you find your taxi driver advising you to get into the stock market, it's probably time to sell. I think you could draw a parallel there with by to let properties.

Dave
to be honest, i think the british economy is going to follow the american economy and take a downward turn. im thinking we will enter a recession sometime in 07.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:10 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
to be honest, i think the british economy is going to follow the american economy and take a downward turn. im thinking we will enter a recession sometime in 07.

Did I miss the American recession when I took a nap this afternoon or something ??
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

Did I miss the American recession when I took a nap this afternoon or something ??
It'd be better if we could do something about the s****y exchange rate!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Not that stupid ???
Not that stupid to have average house prices equal to 6 or 7 times the average wage ??
Not that stupid to have a significant percentage of the population rely on property for their retirement income ??
Not that stupid to allow lenders to finance ridiculous rates of lending ??

No, they wouldn't be that stupid, would they........
Hence my "But who knows!" comment.
Although I don't think the govt is resposible for some of those things - there has to be some involvement of market forces, unless you advocate some sort of communist dictatorship.

Even if there was a drop of 12% in property values, the overall trend would still be upwards - it would not be a disaster for many people, as long as they stayed put then the value of their homes would rise again and they would be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.