Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Honestly can't make up my mind

Honestly can't make up my mind

Old Aug 15th 2013, 12:57 am
Just Joined

touch fuzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Honestly can't make up my mind

Folks, sorry I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

I'm a PR in Canada. Been here just shy of three years.

I was sponsored by my partner and moved to a city in Western Canada. My partner had always been abusive for the 5 years of our relationship, but they always had what I thought was a valid excuse and I believed them hoping for the best. Last year I realized that the excuses would continue. After two years I had yet to make a single friend or have any sort of support group from my partner. I realized the only way I could successfully end the relationship was to move away. (tried to break up before but I wasn't allowed by my partner).

In short to make the break successfully and safely, I lost pretty much everything I owned. I moved across the country with a bag full of clothes. Everything that I had in England has been sold (as I wouldn't need it anymore). Everything that the two of us had repurchased in Canada, I had to leave behind.

So I moved to a large city on the East side of Canada. I love it here. I was able to go out and meet friends and for the first time in years felt like my old self.
Of course it's not that simple. After relocating, getting an apartment and restarting again, the company I work for cut my pay down drastically as my old position was not available in the city. There's been a lot of empty promises through out the year from them. I've applied to other places but have been finding it a struggle.

A year later the year lease on our apartment is up and the people I moved in with are all moving onto different places.

I'm thinking about moving back. I really miss the convenience of Europe. I miss my friends and family a fair bit. But I'll also miss Canada's casualness. I'd have to move back in with my parents, to a town that's dead with no work available.

Here at least I have a job (hopefully I can find a more reasonably priced apartment).

I just don't know if I'm giving up too easily. Or if the convenience of moving back plus homesickness (not seen friends or family in a long time) is coercing me into a decision I'll later regret.

Thanks

TL;DR Moved to Canada in an abusive relationship had to give up everything to get away from it. Once I relocated my company took advantage of me, making the past year a financial struggle. Do I really want to continue?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honestly can't make up my mind

Originally Posted by touch fuzzy

I was sponsored by my partner and moved to a city in Western Canada. My partner had always been abusive for the 5 years of our relationship, but they always had what I thought was a valid excuse and I believed them hoping for the best. Last year I realized that the excuses would continue. After two years I had yet to make a single friend or have any sort of support group from my partner. I realized the only way I could successfully end the relationship was to move away. (tried to break up before but I wasn't allowed by my partner).

In short to make the break successfully and safely, I lost pretty much everything I owned. I moved across the country with a bag full of clothes. Everything that I had in England has been sold (as I wouldn't need it anymore). Everything that the two of us had repurchased in Canada, I had to leave behind.

So I moved to a large city on the East side of Canada. I love it here. I was able to go out and meet friends and for the first time in years felt like my old self.
Of course it's not that simple. After relocating, getting an apartment and restarting again, the company I work for cut my pay down drastically as my old position was not available in the city. There's been a lot of empty promises through out the year from them. I've applied to other places but have been finding it a struggle.

A year later the year lease on our apartment is up and the people I moved in with are all moving onto different places.

I'm thinking about moving back. I really miss the convenience of Europe. I miss my friends and family a fair bit. But I'll also miss Canada's casualness. I'd have to move back in with my parents, to a town that's dead with no work available.

Here at least I have a job (hopefully I can find a more reasonably priced apartment).

I just don't know if I'm giving up too easily. Or if the convenience of moving back plus homesickness (not seen friends or family in a long time) is coercing me into a decision I'll later regret.

Thanks

TL;DR Moved to Canada in an abusive relationship had to give up everything to get away from it. Once I relocated my company took advantage of me, making the past year a financial struggle. Do I really want to continue?
I'm sorry to hear about the stressful time you have had. You must do what you feel is right for you and you alone (as I don't see any references to children). If you think you may one day want to live in Canada again I would recommend applying for citizenship, then you will have more flexibility in the future.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

That alone suggests that you should think very carefully about returning. You have shed the biggest trauma in your life, perhaps a new job/place in Canada is all that's needed? (Easy to say, I know!)

A holiday in the UK if possible might be a good idea as well..

Good luck
Old Aug 15th 2013, 12:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

tough it out a wee bit longer if you can (one day at a time) is my suggestion, you just never know, you may also find a nice person to mate with.

Next step before considering a return or move is to get your Canadian citizenship - this would give you more flexibility.

You can always go back to the UK at anytime

Good luck & keep a dialogue going

Last edited by not2old; Aug 15th 2013 at 2:07 pm.