Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Homeward Bound.... at last I hear you cry!!!!

Homeward Bound.... at last I hear you cry!!!!

Old Mar 25th 2010, 2:24 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Homeward Bound.... at last I hear you cry!!!!

Originally Posted by Droidling
Nu Shooz,
Do you have this caustic manner in person as well as online ? I pity you if so. I'm guessing you just do it behind your big brave computer screen.
I was just trying to tell a few home truths,it seems my observations aren't in line with the 'gang'. Keep those blinkers on deluded people.
You are entitled to your opinion but you did just "barge in" with your opinions.

It's a case of respecting other people's opinions and only then your own opinions will be respected.

Most of us don't have blinkers on, we know full well what the UK is like, we once lived there...but until you move away to another country, you will see that there is no perfect place. Every country has it's good and bad points.

For you, you can only see the bad things about the UK ..I despaired at the pub culture and hated the reality shows etc etc. So we moved to Spain and guess what? There' some seriously bad stuff here too...

So what do you do? Now I know the Grass in not Greener.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Basically, I am so bored here!
Work is dull as
Don't seem to know many people who get me (Brits or Ozzies!).
I am over paying through the nose for everything
Decent education for my kids - don't get me started on that one
Out for yourself mentality
Sheer Blatant racism, sexism and acceptance of it.
Inane Barbecue party's
Hot, sticky and Air Con! (My hubby is addicted to air con - he lives in an altered reality - literally!)

:
Oh, you sound just like I did a few years ago! get outta there before you end up completely Twitter and Bisted!!

Originally Posted by jad n rich
That cracked me up

The bbq scene bored the living hell out me by the 6th bbq, by the 600th I could have hung myself
You were at the same ones as me then?!!!!

Nu Shooz,
Do you have this caustic manner in person as well as online ?
Nah....she's worse in person !!!

Keep those blinkers on deluded people.
Ermmmm....have you actually moved out to Australia or wherever you're going yet? The peeps who've responded to you have been there, done that, bought the T-shirts from Target (get used to it!) and have seen the light realising where they want to be having experienced life on both sides of the world. I suggest you keep an open mind about what lies ahead of you. As M.P says, you could be eating your words with a shed load of humble pie in a few years!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cheshire Karen,

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you ! I would very gratefully swap seats with you right now,you could have my detatched house on Melancholy Hill near Tarporley.

'Basically, I am so bored here!
Work is dull as'
- Very high unemployment in UK right now,if you do manage to get an interview you could be one of hundreds of applicants. I'm stuck in a job I hate with nowhere else to go careerwise. I have to be 'happy' and thankful I have a job (usual UK work ethic).

'Don't seem to know many people who get me (Brits or Ozzies!).'

You should try being a Suvverner in Cheshire.Had to move here to stay in work.

'I am over paying through the nose for everything'

Surely this was one of the reasons why you left UK in the first place ? Things definitely haven't improved in the 2 years you were away.

'Decent education for my kids - don't get me started on that one'

Some folk here are renting property and not occupying JUST so they are in catchment area of a half decent school.

'Out for yourself mentality'

UK is a poor mans USA these days. We seemed to have adopted every bad trait of theirs (liticious society,extreme materialism,language (Urban speak),fashion,music)

'Sheer Blatant racism, sexism and acceptance of it.'

Would agree with your take on that one as far as Aussies are concerned. But bear in mind in coming back to UK as a born and bred British white female you will be a 3rd rate citizen.

'Inane Barbecue party's'

At the moment 70 pubs a week are closing here. The old British life as we know and love is disappearing fast. In it's place - well how about a flat white in Costa (packet).
Or back to those great old dinner parties we love so much (indoors) in the endless winter evenings. Let's all talk about property values again ....zzzzzz. And guess what,
on British telly you can even watch programmes about other people having dinner parties (Come dine with me),scintillating stuff.

'Hot, sticky and Air Con! (My hubby is addicted to air con - he lives in an altered reality - literally!)'

We've just had the coldest winter in 100 years and no summer for 3 years. So you get a weekend off for a change and oh yes it's p!ssing with rain again all weekend. Looks like it's shopping in Chester again then ?

Just hope you're making the right decision !! Missing family,ok,I can understand. But I find it hard to visualize a lifestyle in Oz that could be so bad that it would bring you back here of all places. Better get used to
the 'Live to work' ethos in the meantime ...

Have you thought of moving elsewhere in the UK perhaps? I just got back from a month in UK and must say that the people I interacted with and the places I saw were quite different, obviously, from the reality you seem to be living in. And apart from a couple of snowstorms the weather was superb, I didnt even need the down jacket I brought over from Australia especially (stupid though, could have got one in UK for half the price I paid for mine!!!). The weather did not stop me doing one single thing I wanted to do and there were a couple of days down in Cornwall where it was t shirt weather. OTOH the weather in Australia stops me from doing far more - in the summer when the mercury gets over 30 the last thing you want to be doing is being outside and breathing in an oven. It's a sad old life where you target your movements on where there is aircon working!

And yes, I would go back to live in UK in a heartbeat if it werent for a stubborn Aussie husband who wont move.

As the others have said, be a tad careful about judgmental statements if you havent been there and done it, you may find out the hard way. It isnt always about missing family and friends (though of course we do) it is about "belonging", sharing values, experiences, humour, heritage and not feeling like you are an alien all the time.

To coin a phrase from one of our ex prime ministers (generally never agreed with a word he said except this statement) Australia is the arse end of the universe! And I hope you enjoy the 4 weeks annual leave provisions and air fares so high that leaving the country takes you several years of saving, both money and leave allowance! (what was it about live to work or work to live????)
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Nu Shooz,
Do you have this caustic manner in person as well as online ? I pity you if so. I'm guessing you just do it behind your big brave computer screen.
I was just trying to tell a few home truths,it seems my observations aren't in line with the 'gang'. Keep those blinkers on deluded people.
Have you ever been/lived in Australia Droidling?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Well, it looks like the time has finally arrived! Hubby has an interview for all four UK jobs that he has applied for! (Hope I haven't jinxed it by writing this!)

Our UK house is now empty and ready to move back into. (low mortgage)
Our school of choice (local catholic school) and local council have been amazing and have held open a place for our children in the 2 years we have been in Oz!
Hubby's mum has a wealth of spare stuff for us while we wait for our stuff to arrive back from Oz.
Fantastic friends who care about our kids as much as we do.
etc. etc.

All boxes ticked, so why do I feel deflated one minute and excited the next?

I think its so much to do with expectation. When we left the UK, I was leaving for good for a better life and to go back will always feel like I failed a bit. Instead of thinking of the wealth of great things there are to do in Europe, I keep thinking of all the 'great' things we could do here with two little ones! I have some unexplained fear of returning to the exact same life we had when we left the UK. (Our life was good!) And have become fixated on the fact that we have a relatively small garden in the UK and a large yard here! The fact that we spend very little time in the yard here is beside the point. (Summer is a no no, hot, sticky and full of things out to get you!, then oldest at school, dark at 5 - 6pm) I think i am seeking justification, as to why do thousands of Brits just love Queensland and everything Oz and we just haven't settled. Am I the odd one out? I haven't even got the major reason most people go back: Family as an excuse.

Basically, I am so bored here!
Work is dull as
Don't seem to know many people who get me (Brits or Ozzies!).
I am over paying through the nose for everything
Decent education for my kids - don't get me started on that one
Out for yourself mentality
Sheer Blatant racism, sexism and acceptance of it.
Inane Barbecue party's
Hot, sticky and Air Con! (My hubby is addicted to air con - he lives in an altered reality - literally!)

Ozzies would say that's Queensland for you - may be case but I fear not.

I know logically I have answered my own question but trying to get that through to my numbed brain is another matter!

I have posted as I think I may have expressed what quite a few of you are thinking!
Good luck. I was in the same position 1 year ago.Felt the same too.Don't look back
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Yes I have lived in NZ for 4yrs (AUCK and CHCH),have dual citizenship travelled extensively in OZ and worked in Brisbane for a year. My Ex girlfriend of the time,in her infinite wisdom decided we should come 'home'.
I can't move from Cheshire as I'm in a dead end IT job,(mainframe engineer) which pays well but owns me. I'm an outdoors type and the frustration comes in when you try and do something here in the miniscule amount of free time you get. Either it's too difficult to get where you want to (every Joe Bloggs and Spit the dog has the same idea) or the weather is cack. NZ seemed to me to have the best lifestyle but I appreciate it has been 10 years since I left and my career choice will stand me no chance in the job market over there.
So yes I have seen both sides of the coin,and am probably one jump ahead of all you people so willing to slag me off at a moments notice.
Best of luck on those who decide to come back here,you're going to need it.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

How ironic

......being given 'advice' about returning to the UK from someone who migrated to a third world country
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:58 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have lived in NZ for 4yrs (AUCK and CHCH),have dual citizenship travelled extensively in OZ and worked in Brisbane for a year. My Ex girlfriend of the time,in her infinite wisdom decided we should come 'home'.
I can't move from Cheshire as I'm in a dead end IT job,(mainframe engineer) which pays well but owns me. I'm an outdoors type and the frustration comes in when you try and do something here in the miniscule amount of free time you get. Either it's too difficult to get where you want to (every Joe Bloggs and Spit the dog has the same idea) or the weather is cack. NZ seemed to me to have the best lifestyle but I appreciate it has been 10 years since I left and my career choice will stand me no chance in the job market over there.
So yes I have seen both sides of the coin,and am probably one jump ahead of all you people so willing to slag me off at a moments notice.
PMSL

I find it laughable that someone who has lived in NZ (especially Auckland) has the nerve to moan about the rain here in UK!! I am married to a kiwi. Lived there 2yrs before going to Australia and i can tell you now that it rains just as much if not more in NZ!! It is freezing cold in winter too unless you are way way up north. It is the most boring country i have ever been to.

I dont need your "good luck" i have been back in UK almost a year and enjoying it more than i ever imagined possible. My husband has been promoted and doubled his salary overnight, has plenty of free time and as long as we dont go out driving in peak hour traffic (which we dont need to) it is rarely a problem and seeing as we are less than an hour from London i'd suggest you move from Cheshire down south!!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Grayling - why do you go out of your way to be a helmet ?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Grayling - why do you go out of your way to be a helmet ?
.....because there are so many twats around
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:05 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

1 nil
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

1 nil
I suspect this poster is one of our old friends
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Ah well it's easier being a tool,all you have to do jump on the back of other people's posts.
As your title suggests,productive input.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Downsize,buy a mobile home. Do something,you have free will. I think you are just feeling sorry for yourself.
Get a grip man.
Oh! Good luck
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:33 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

it seems to me to be a shame Droidling that you feel stuck in the UK and would prefer to be in NZ.
But life is short and if NZ is where you want to be, stop moaning about the UK and come out.
There are lots of people on the NZ forum who love it here.

Me - I hang around this forum as I don't.

Personal choice. Obviously the things that you value and the things that other people on this thread value are different. Doesn't make either right.

All boxes ticked, so why do I feel deflated one minute and excited the next?

I know exactly how you feel.
We are about to list the house (providing hubby doesn't back out at the last minute and get cold feet) and I am up and down like a yo-yo.

I remember the decision to move out to NZ was so easy. It was just right lets go - an adventure. Kids are young.

Now over three years later it seems like such an up hill struggle. But struggle on I will.

I don't want to spend the rest of my life bored and wishing it away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.