British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Homeward Bound with Hounds ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/homeward-bound-hounds-916633/)

wordsmith65 Aug 29th 2018 4:20 am

Homeward Bound with Hounds !

Well after much discussion, we have decided to take a leap of faith and begin the process of returning to the UK, we would appreciate any and all positive advice, encouragement or general comments in regards to finding a short-term rental with our two border collies while we await our furniture from NZ to the UK...we understand it won't be easy and are ready for the challenges ahead.
We are looking in the Blackpool area or Lancashire in general at a push ?
So if anyone has anything to offer in the way of advice or help, it would certainly be appreciated !

Perth Aug 29th 2018 11:34 am

Re: Homeward Bound with Hounds !

It's going to be difficult if you are looking for a regular rental. However, you will have much better luck with a holiday let. Many of them will let to you with dogs. Can't help on the specifics of where you are headed, but I'm sure someone will come along soon to enlighten you there. Best of luck!

durham_lad Aug 29th 2018 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Perth (Post 12555996)
It's going to be difficult if you are looking for a regular rental. However, you will have much better luck with a holiday let. Many of them will let to you with dogs. Can't help on the specifics of where you are headed, but I'm sure someone will come along soon to enlighten you there. Best of luck!

Good idea.

My sister moved into 2 different rental homes between 2013 and 2017 and said that she was very restricted in choices because they had a dog, but it is certainly not impossible, so maybe a holiday let initially while searching would be a good option since it is already a bit tricky renting ahead of time from overseas.

wordsmith65 Aug 29th 2018 8:42 pm

Thank you, Awesome Idea....shall investigate it as we plan to buy a house sooner rather than later.

wordsmith65 Aug 29th 2018 8:43 pm

Thank you also durham_lad will do some reserch

sarahw Sep 6th 2018 5:54 pm

Hi - we had exactly this problem and didn't anticipate the search to be quite as hard as it was. We were looking around Cardiff

We found a fully furnished place within a few weeks of our arrival that said we could have a dog but 2 days before we moved in the landlord "changed his mind". It then took us a further 6 traumatic weeks before we found somewhere else and basically just grabbed the first thing we saw that was anywhere near suitable and not stupidly expensive (ie less than GBP1200 per month!). I applied the minute we got out of the viewing as they had someone booked in for a viewing 2 hours later. I had all the paperwork and the holding deposit paid before the other people's viewing and managed to secure it...phew!

In those 6 weeks we stayed at dog-friendly B&Bs, hired a holiday cottage and stayed in relatives spare rooms. Probably not what you want to hear but if you can plan ahead a bit more than I did :o hopefully you won't have such a bumpy ride!

I can also recommend https://www.pettransport.co.nz/

Spacecake799 Sep 6th 2018 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by wordsmith65 (Post 12555867)
Well after much discussion, we have decided to take a leap of faith and begin the process of returning to the UK, we would appreciate any and all positive advice, encouragement or general comments in regards to finding a short-term rental with our two border collies while we await our furniture from NZ to the UK...we understand it won't be easy and are ready for the challenges ahead.
We are looking in the Blackpool area or Lancashire in general at a push ?
So if anyone has anything to offer in the way of advice or help, it would certainly be appreciated !

Hi, We moved from NZ to UK with our dog. We found a house to rent on rightmove, we contacted the agent. My mil did go and take a look at the house. We decided to rent it, mentioned the dog and all was fine. Just because it says no pets its always worth asking. That said two will be a little harder but not impossible.
Good luck on your move

verystormy Sep 7th 2018 5:31 am

We moved back in 2016 and initially booked a Airbnb which was easy - no hassles with the dog. Then, finding a long term rental was also easy to the extent we were fighting off agents and this was in Windsor and Ascot - some of the most sought after property in the UK

Pothy Sep 9th 2018 7:51 pm

Hi Wordsmith we moved back to the UK in May after 11 years in NZ with our little miniature fox terrier. Our first night was spent in an airbnb (mostly very dog friendly) we then stayed with a friend for a week and then bought a caravan! So many dog friendly caravan sites and we lived in the caravan for 3 months whilst we looked for jobs. Now that we have jobs and settled near Taunton in Somerset we have a rental. Renting is not cheap in this area and you might find it easier to find a dog friendly property out of the towns like a farm cottage for instance. We have just had our offer accepted on a property but early days. Be brave make the move - we have never looked back and it is like we have never been away. Good luck.