Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Homesickness self help laugh.

Homesickness self help laugh.

Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Homesickness self help laugh.

In your homesickness moments do you ever catch yourself doing something so silly , you just have to shake your head and laugh ??
I am so homesick this Burns night that I have been listening to "RUNRIG"!! all morning !!!!
"By yon bonnie banks , by yon bonnie braes , whaur the sun shines down on Loch Lomond , whaur me and my true love will ne'er meet again, by yon bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond "
AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!! Next I'll be listening to the CORRIES !!!!! (Scottish folk duo for those who don't know ) :scared:

Come on 'fess up, what silly things do you guys do to get thru' ?
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness self help laugh.

I smuggle paxo stuffing.

My mother actually slipped it in with the sweets and stuff I was bring back from UK, great idea , fortunately I ticked the something to declare thing on the immigration card. To picture it you need to replace schapelle corby with me, and a big bag of weed with paxo stuffing. Replace the thai police with aussie customs men and sniffer dogs.

If your thinking of bringing in paxo cranberry and chestnut stuffing. DONT
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tass
Come on 'fess up, what silly things do you guys do to get thru' ?
ok 'fess time ...one day last week i put on bbc america and let it run all day and I'd be in and out of the house. bbc america was full of 'changing rooms' and 'cash in the attic'...lol it was lovely coming in and hearing the english voices..lol then i thought OMG i'm getting so sad ..even sadder than usual...
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Well, just lately I've been listening to Radio Wales a lot. Besides the fact I recently applied for a job there (so I'm trying to get a feel for local news, etc.), some of the presenters are just so downright nice and down to earth - such a difference from many radio shows here where they are either shouting at you or talking in such a pretentious bloated self-important manner (I actually do like NPR, but flippin 'eck, sometimes I want to tell them to get the stick out of their *rse).

Besides that I sometimes talk to the dog with an Indian accent (no, I'm not going to explain that one - the point of the thread isn't explanation).
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:11 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

ok....this is really sad and I blame the gorgeous Glittababe..lol

I sit here and watch coastal watch webcams of Australia...arghhhhhhhhhhhhh and think ohhh how much I would love to be on that beach right now..!!!I
so yep I am a right saddo..!!!! It because its sooooooooo cold here at the mo !! mind you I quite like the cold too....prefer it to the grey skies!

Still at least I don't talk to my dog in an Aussie accent..!!!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pants
!

Still at least I don't talk to my dog in an Aussie accent..!!!
not yet but give it time
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

I drive everyone in my household mad by watching any British programme I can find on TV - no cable I hasten to add. I then compound the situation by marvelling at the 'quality' of the actors and the production in general. Then moan like mad about the copious, unrelenting ads, timing them and announcing times between ads - then comparing with the ad breaks in the UK. Drives my daughter mad.

Also made my dad bring over all the marmite he could carry (5 large jars), Bisto gravy granules (6 large cartons) and various flavoured packs of OXO cubes (26 x 6 cube packs). Proceeded to have Bisto gravy at all evening meals.

Think I have become a little unhinged now that I read this.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
ok 'fess time ...one day last week i put on bbc america and let it run all day and I'd be in and out of the house. bbc america was full of 'changing rooms' and 'cash in the attic'...lol it was lovely coming in and hearing the english voices..lol then i thought OMG i'm getting so sad ..even sadder than usual...
Nothing wrong with that I do the same when in the house alone Only want to watch British film's and will rent anything British from the Library, at the moment the full set of Jewel In The Crown, never saw it years ago. Also Radio 1 on through the computer and watch the BBC news the same way, it all helps.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:11 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Nothing wrong with that I do the same when in the house alone Only want to watch British film's and will rent anything British from the Library, at the moment the full set of Jewel In The Crown, never saw it years ago. Also Radio 1 on through the computer and watch the BBC news the same way, it all helps.
Me too, I do the same. I just borrowed One Foot in the Grave from the library. My daughter and I sat and watched it together, at 10 she's learning the art of British humor and coming along quite nicely.
We are members of Blockbuster online rentals (although it's crap and will be cancelling soon but that's another thread) and have Only Fools and Horses, Dad's Army and Some Mother's Do 'Ave Em in the queue.
My oh decided to rent a movie called 'The Last of England' because it's got England in the title, he thought I might like it. Please, please, please, do not watch this movie! It is the biggest load of pretentious, arty, disjointed shaky images with NO storyline load of crap I have ever seen! We gave up watching after 10 minutes.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

hiya vic and ladyofthelake...glad i'm not alone...lol not the only saddo
Old Jan 25th 2006, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

L8.Scouser will become famous soon enoughL8.Scouser will become famous soon enough

About two years ago I started listening to techno, trance music. It reminded me of my old job. My co workers would play dance music all day - I hated it at the time but now find myself listening to it on Radio One etc.

I also have a collection of Pro british punk songs from the late 70's early 80's, find myself listening to those quite a bit.

I used to be a mathew St. web cam addict www.mathew.st but since I've just vacationed in Liverpool I no longer need to see it.

If anybody is from Liverpool I have tons of photographs for them to see which I took only last month.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 4:49 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

We try and have a full english breakfast at least once at weekends.
We get turkey bacon, veggie sausages, heinz beans, and fried eggs with thick slices of home-made bread with kerrygold butter and orange marmalade that I pay through the nose for from the international market, and a big pot of tea.
I'm lucky because my American husband has, after 6 trips to england, really started to love the place and culture and especially the food so he's dead enthusiastic about eating anything British.
The bacon and sausages in the US are vile so I try to eat vegetarian when I can, in fact all the meat over here is pretty bad I think, the way its farmed is disgusting.
I listen to Radio 1 through the internet too, and watch "Last of the Summer Wine" on the Public access channel. I wouldn't have watched that when I lived at home unless I was bored beyond belief but now I find it quite comforting.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul
I drive everyone in my household mad by watching any British programme I can find on TV - no cable I hasten to add. I then compound the situation by marvelling at the 'quality' of the actors and the production in general. Then moan like mad about the copious, unrelenting ads, timing them and announcing times between ads - then comparing with the ad breaks in the UK. Drives my daughter mad.

Also made my dad bring over all the marmite he could carry (5 large jars), Bisto gravy granules (6 large cartons) and various flavoured packs of OXO cubes (26 x 6 cube packs). Proceeded to have Bisto gravy at all evening meals.

Think I have become a little unhinged now that I read this.
Oh god! this made me laugh so much I am crying!! I do exactly the same with the British programme thing.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sarah
I listen to Radio 1 through the internet too, and watch "Last of the Summer Wine" on the Public access channel. I wouldn't have watched that when I lived at home unless I was bored beyond belief but now I find it quite comforting.

hi sarah, yep i listen to london's capital radio most days and love it when i hear them mention the m25 coz that's home for me..lol also 'last of the summer wine'..i used to find boring when i was permanently in the uk and never really payed any attention to it now however whether it's coz i lead a boring life or what but i too find it quite comforting...lol maybe it's old age
Old Jan 25th 2006, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Homesickness self help laugh.

I am so PLEASED that I am not the only MAD/SAD person around !!! I too watch UKTV everyday and have come in from work to find my husband sitting having a good laugh (not that he will admit it) -my family ,fawlty towers , one foot in the grave ...the list is endless and the great thing is, when that channel is on , you don't need to worry about the kids sneaking in the room and accidently seeing a decomposing body or a violent beating up !! Aussie telly is really not the best!
Ok , here's another one, , I meet my expat friend in Darling harbour and we watch the kids play while we sit and have "nice coffee" with a TUNNOCKS CARAMEL WAFER !! or whatever other biscuit the "british lolly shop" have in that day. mmmm, jaffa cakes, gold bars,penguins, mmmmm
For those of you in Oz, you can now buy Irn Bru, Bisto ,oxo cubes and Mr Kipling cakes in woolworths.The bisto is called "sooo gravy' and comes in chicken , beef or vegetable.I also managed to get English recipe sausages yesterday so am going to try them and let you know if they are edible.
THANK YOU ALL for sharing, it was nice to have a light hearted thread on "survival techniques" away from the dear old country and has certainly helped me have a wee smile and laugh to myself with all your crazy antics !
Mad dogs and BRITISHmen , huh ?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.