Homesick today

Old May 30th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

mick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nice
Default Homesick today

Hi,
So today i'm sat watching bbc tv on my computer wishing i was back home, I'm spending more and more time watching more UK tv than US tv,I'm missing the UK so much. My homesickness seems to go in waves but its always there I'm just finding it harder and harder to deal with.
There was a family party here yesterday and still after being here since 2002 i was left feeling on the outside looking in.
How do other people deal with there homesickness any ideas will be a great help thank
Old May 30th 2011, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all
Default Re: Homesick today

Originally Posted by mick65
Hi,
So today i'm sat watching bbc tv on my computer wishing i was back home, I'm spending more and more time watching more UK tv than US tv,I'm missing the UK so much. My homesickness seems to go in waves but its always there I'm just finding it harder and harder to deal with.
There was a family party here yesterday and still after being here since 2002 i was left feeling on the outside looking in.
How do other people deal with there homesickness any ideas will be a great help thank
Hi Mick,

Not sure that I can offer any advice really but I am in exactly the same boat as you. I moved to the US in 2002 as well and don't feel like I fit in at all. The family party is today for me and I'm not looking forward to sitting in the corner being ignored for 3 hours as usual! To treat myself afterwards I'm going to sit with a cup of tea and watch Countryfile!
Do you have anyone there you can confide in or have a rant too, someone that will let you vent your frustrations? It might help temporarily.
Other than that posting on here and knowing that there are other people with the same feelings as you helps sometimes.
Going out for a long walk may help clear your head...or something simple like getting out and mowing the lawn might distract you enough to help you forget your homesickness.
I know it's not easy though and I completely sympathise with your situation.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your having such a bad time of it. But I can sympathize with the outside looking part. Sad.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you on a practical level but you're not alone.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

gosh, I am so glad that I am not only one that feels like this. I swear at times I ask myself if there is something wrong with me? In UK had lots of friends and still maintain many of them but in US there is absolutely nobody. I swear if my brother or I were to die our bodies would be here for days before anyone found out. An example is someone I knew was like lets stay in touch when she quit her job. We had worked at same place for like 2 years. I have called her twice and not once has she ever called me. This has happened many times with so called "friendships" in the US. I will correct myself and say I have never had any friends here but rather acquaintances.. I like a lot about the US but not the personal aspect..
Old May 30th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I watched 2 shows last night on computer, Taggart and Vera which are both great if anyone not seen them.
Old May 30th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fulwood
gosh, I am so glad that I am not only one that feels like this. I swear at times I ask myself if there is something wrong with me? In UK had lots of friends and still maintain many of them but in US there is absolutely nobody.
This is my situation too. I've been here in the USA for 9 years and don't have one friend. It's almost embarrassing. It makes these long weekends feel like extremely long and boring affairs.
Old May 30th 2011, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

32 years of being on the outside looking in for me - I am certain that the feeling is never going to change.

I survive a couple of ways - one is to rationalize that I am taking the least worst option, that I am a strong woman and I can do anything I choose to do. Second is that I watch a lot of UK TV - and why not, it's a damned sight better than anything the Aus channels put up (really enjoyed Vera btw!) and lastly (and most importantly) I always have my next trip home planned - if not actual dates then general times of year so that my life is one big countdown. (3 months today to the next escape!)

It's not easy living like this is it? However, it is possible and I guess we all have to get up every morning and put on the face for the day and make the best of what we have chosen as our path in life. {{{hugs}}} - it sux!!! (and thank goodness for MBTTUK, at least there will be someone on here who "gets" you!)
Old May 30th 2011, 10:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
32 years of being on the outside looking in for me - I am certain that the feeling is never going to change.

I survive a couple of ways - one is to rationalize that I am taking the least worst option, that I am a strong woman and I can do anything I choose to do. Second is that I watch a lot of UK TV - and why not, it's a damned sight better than anything the Aus channels put up (really enjoyed Vera btw!) and lastly (and most importantly) I always have my next trip home planned - if not actual dates then general times of year so that my life is one big countdown. (3 months today to the next escape!)

It's not easy living like this is it? However, it is possible and I guess we all have to get up every morning and put on the face for the day and make the best of what we have chosen as our path in life. {{{hugs}}} - it sux!!! (and thank goodness for MBTTUK, at least there will be someone on here who "gets" you!)
Seconded (and not for the first time ). I always have the next trip home planned, watch loads of Brit sitcom and drama dvds, and find I'm spending more and more time online talking to Brits either on here or with real-life friends on facebook.

I've also gone through the "we'll keep in touch"thing with people at work here, but I know now that they only say it for appearance sake and then vanish - often not even keeping in touch with other Aussie mates they've worked with, very strange and transient behaviour, when I remember how we used to keep in touch with ex-colleagues back home, inviting each other to work Christmas parties etc even after leaving somewhere.

Eight years into living here I've learnt that there are ways to cope with it, its just a case of finding what works for you individually
Old May 31st 2011, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

I think watching UK TV shoes especially old favourites is like the equivalent of comfort food when you're feeling blue. I found Seesaw which allows you to watch stuff on line and I've recently been watching old reruns of Only Fools and Horses and always feel much better for it.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

No you're not alone! Im sitting here today wondering what the hell Im doing here.... and Ive felt that way on and off for 5 years... Thank god for Foxtels UKTV channel! and BBC radio podcasts....

I guess Im just not as international as I thought I was... I like travelling but want to go home! big virtual {{{hug}}} to you!
Old May 31st 2011, 4:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is a way to "get over" your homesickness without mind altering drugs or copious amounts of alcohol.

Because homesickness is a FEELING one has, quite difficult to explain to other people and very hard to live with for yourself.

I did try on my last year in Australia to NOT watch so much British TV and to NOT join in on the MBTTUK forum as I felt it was making me feel worse not better........

BUT none of it helped as I couldn't escape myself and how I felt, that feeling of detachment, disconnectedness and overwhelming disinterest.

Now I am back living in the UK, it has been quite hard financially as well as emotionally but I do feel connected to this place and these people.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough

Stop wallowing in self pity and get out and make a new life for yourselves!

Gods teeth Quoll, 32 years and you're still not settled in?? Move on girl, move on, living the best years of your life in a state of regret is not exactly wholesome.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul B

Gods teeth Quoll, 32 years and you're still not settled in?? Move on girl, move on, living the best years of your life in a state of regret is not exactly wholesome.
I think she's more attached to her Dh and not willing to leave him behind, thats love
Old May 31st 2011, 8:26 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul B

Homesickness is not self pity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.