Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For the homesick Londoners

Wikiposts

For the homesick Londoners

Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice
Default For the homesick Londoners

I stumbled across this video youtube. I am feeling a bit nostalgic now.
Even though I did not live in Ealing I used to go to Brunel University and lived in Uxbridge for 3 years. I would often hit Ealing Broadway for an evening out.

Oh the memories and how I miss driving my little Renault Clio around town and the 'London buzz. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsujwUPpEDA

Last edited by KerinaK2008; Mar 6th 2011 at 9:11 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of
Default Re: For the homesick Londoners

A couple more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVimAE_IOMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4muDh4R_HA

From the brilliant and little known St Etienne

Last edited by Droidling; Mar 8th 2011 at 11:55 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

There always seems to be an emphasize on how much it rains back home. But mind you I would take the rain over the harsh 6 month winter in Canada. When I tell some Canadians I am from London, the first thing they say " it always seems to be raining there" A slight exaggeration, it does stop raining sometime!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Hi,the second link wasn't meant to be a dig at London weather,I just like the tune and the London scenes are captivating. The Finisterre film and album are great (I should be on commission for St Etienne). I used to work in the smoke for 7 years and compared to where I am now it's positively mediterranean there. I'm now 10 miles from geographically challenged 'rainchester'.
Now fair enough if you've taken a career move or been press-ganged into moving to Canada I can understand but I really don't get the sorts on here who complain about the cold and snow in Canada ? I mean what were you expecting ?!! Again,not meant as a dig,just an observation.
Enjoy,I'm off back to the smoke on the train early tomorrow(birthday treat). Camden market,Covent Garden and a few sherbets in the west end.
Cheers Droid.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

In my job as a journalist I sometimes have to spend several weeks working down in London, where I share a flat just off the Upper Richmond Road in Putney, SW15. When there I prefer to use public transport rather than my car, either the bus or the tube - preferably the former although the journeys take longer due to traffic congestion but at least you see more from the top of the bus. I use the No 74 bus very often, as shown in this clip, as the bus starts of again from the stop nearest to Putney Bridge tube station and proceeds across Putney Bridge and then into Putney High Street.

I like Putney very much - a very pleasant part of suburban South West London, as it has a feel of "a village within a huge city environment" - a locality with its own identity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eKmGdJQNME

A new breed of Londoners now exists in quite large numbers all over the urban metropolis of Greater London, and they are extremely tame and cunningly opportunistic and at the same time a great nuisance to the indigenous human populace. Here is one pictured in Putney High Street...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NEOu23ngBI

Last edited by Lothianlad; Mar 11th 2011 at 4:06 am.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
There always seems to be an emphasize on how much it rains back home. But mind you I would take the rain over the harsh 6 month winter in Canada. When I tell some Canadians I am from London, the first thing they say " it always seems to be raining there" A slight exaggeration, it does stop raining sometime!
On average London receives less than half the rainfall of New York City over the course of a year, roughly the same amount as falls on San Francisco on average, and less than a third of the rain that falls on many cities in the southern States of the USA. It also receives a smaller annual rainfall amount than falls on cities in the eastern part of Canada, and considerably less than falls on Vancouver, on the other side of that vast country.

In 1921, for example, only 308.9mm of rain (12.16 inches) was recorded at the weather station located in Camden Square, north London, throughout that year. In the same year only 230mm (9.06 inches) was measured at Southminster, in Essex.

Other years since then have been almost as dry. Eastern and south eastern parts of both England and Scotland are statistically much drier than people realise, especially those people in other countries who think that the British Ises are permanently shrouded in mist and drenching rain. The driest place in Scotland is Dunbar, in East Lothian.

In parts of the Western Highlands of Scotland admittedly it is a different story altogether! Fort William, for instanace!

Sure enough the skies are frequently grey and overcast all over the UK, but on a clear, warm sunny day in late spring or in midsummer, or on a golden day in mid October with all the trees splendidly adorned in various shades of colouring under a hazy blue sky it is bloody magnificent!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
On average London receives less than half the rainfall of New York City over the course of a year, roughly the same amount as falls on San Francisco on average, and less than a third of the rain that falls on many cities in the southern States of the USA. It also receives a smaller annual rainfall amount than falls on cities in the eastern part of Canada, and considerably less than falls on Vancouver, on the other side of that vast country.
The "same rainfall as San Francisco" is one of my favourite weather stats that people here rarely believe. However, rain falls on about three times as many days in London as in San Francisco. San Francisco's rain is confined to the period late-October to mid-April and most of the rain is in the form of a set of major Pacific storms.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
In my job as a journalist I sometimes have to spend several weeks working down in London, where I share a flat just off the Upper Richmond Road in Putney, SW15. When there I prefer to use public transport rather than my car, either the bus or the tube - preferably the former although the journeys take longer due to traffic congestion but at least you see more from the top of the bus. I use the No 74 bus very often, as shown in this clip, as the bus starts of again from the stop nearest to Putney Bridge tube station and proceeds across Putney Bridge and then into Putney High Street.

I like Putney very much - a very pleasant part of suburban South West London, as it has a feel of "a village within a huge city environment" - a locality with its own identity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eKmGdJQNME

A new breed of Londoners now exists in quite large numbers all over the urban metropolis of Greater London, and they are extremely tame and cunningly opportunistic and at the same time a great nuisance to the indigenous human populace. Here is one pictured in Putney High Street...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NEOu23ngBI
Thank you ...I grew up in Putney and lived there many years .

I also spent a few in Wimbledon ,another favorite~ with that same village-y feel
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

My brother will be moving to the south side of the river end of the month. I had many work friends from the Putney area. For me, I spent most of my life living in North London.. and more familiar with West and East London. To be honest I do not know south London as well even though I used to go around that area to visit friends sometime.

But now I have my brother there, I sure will be there more often. I hope to go and see his new place over Easter!